Question about safari vehicles

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have talked to Good Earth Tours and they have said that we would be put with other travelers when we were at the lodge and went on our safari drives. Is this a canvas top that rolls back so that all 6 can stand, take pics and enjoy the scenery? I have seen many photos of vehicles on safari. Most of them have hard tops that raise and only 2 or 3 people could stand the rest would have a window seat. We will be at Serena Lodges. (or we could be using the same vehicle as when we leave Nairobi) Quite confusing. Thaks alot.
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 08:25 PM

Good, important, question, one that I suspect many safari goers don't think of. From the Good Earth answer - maybe, maybe not. You don't know how you are getting to Serena Lodges (more than one?) from Nairobi? You should know that, Good Earth does.

Anyway, it depends. I think it depends on-
1) if vehicle is owned by the camp for game drives
2) the camp itself
3) if you are using the vehicle as travel from camp to camp and also as the game drive vehicle. That is the camp you stay at does not own the vehicle, it is owned by a tour operator, e.g. Roy Safaris.
4) and the country/reserve's regulations.

You say you've seen many photos of vehicles mostly of the pop-top kind. But that is, not my experience. Every camp I have been to, 5 in South Africa, 2 in Zambia, 1 in Kenya and 1 in Botswana were camps that I flew into. So each camp had their own vehicles (and guides) they provided for game drives. And every camp used the totally open, no sides, Land Rover or Land Cruiser (Toyota).

On safari in Kenya Maasai Mara (Little Governors camp) we were in a totally open Land Rover (provided by the camp). At sightings we saw these and pop top vans like you describe and other small truck like vehicles that had roll up canvass sides and tops. Some of all types.

Anyway, from my "logic" if your are flying into the Serena Lodges, then you will be in a totally open Land Rover type for game drives. But you also say you could be driving from Nairobi. So, you could be using that vehicle, pop-top van, for game drives? Maybe Good Earth/Serena Lodges are different? Good Earth should know? Perhaps talking also with the Serena Lodges directly would help? Sorry, I likely raised more questions than answers.

regards - tom
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 04:44 AM

When researching from their website, I noticed Good Earth quotes their sample safaris in Kenya with 'minivans w/flip tops' vs 'Land Rovers' for Tanzania. Maybe they utilize the Serena open vehicles for game drives? and minivans for between lodges? When you find out, please let us know
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 07:36 AM

Ask Good Earth what type vehicles they use if providing for transport to/from parks and game drives. Or is flying and using vehicles of lodges (Serena) what they use. Noting that some lodges have more than one type of vehicle.

I've often seen 6/heads popping out of those pop-top vehicles!
Old Dec 19th, 2010, 08:13 AM

the way you are representing the words of Good Earth (when you are at the lodge you will be put with others on game drives) it would seem that you are going to use the camp vehicles. Judgin on a quick glance on the photo's on their website they are using some sort of converted pickups / 4x4 with open roof.

But I am with the others; really ask Good Earth about this, you should be very well aware of how you are going to do the game drives.