question about Nile cruising

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard that staying in a cabin on one side of the boat is better than the other--that you see more interesting things. Does anyone know if this is true and if so which is the better side of the boat to be on (I guess it would depend upon upstream or downstream also )?
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 04:29 PM

I don't think that it matters much. I think we tended to dock on the west side of the river the most (though I could be entirely backwards) and I had a room on the opposite side. When you dock, 3, 4 or 5 boats all dock to one another and you walk through the lobbies to get out to your boat. The Nile is narrow enough that you have a really nice view out either side when you're actually cruising. Also, there's usually (always?) an open deck on top for viewing that is wonderful.

If you're moving, the view is amazing out either side or you can go up to the top deck to see everything. If you're docked, you'll likely have a boat tied up to you and if you want to look around simply go up top. I don't know what cruise you're looking at, but the one I was on spent very little time docked with us on it during the day.

Don't worry about what side of the boat you'll be on, either side is going to be amazing! The Nile cruise was one of my favorite parts of my trip.
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 07:23 PM

It depends on your ship. The Oberie Philae has its own dock so you don't have to go through other boats lobbies. Going from Aswan to Luxor I was reccomended being on the starboard side for the better view. I suppose going the other direction would be opposite. We will be on the Oberie October 5-9th. Looking forward to the relaxing 4 nights-Chris
Old Sep 14th, 2010, 09:03 PM

Don't worry about which side. You are not going to be in your room looking at the view that much. You will be up on the top deck more, unless you are sick or very very shy.

It really won't matter which side you are on, and if it really did, I suspect they would cost more on that side of the boat, as EVERY ONE (50% of the people anyway) would be making the reception people CRAZY on check-in day complaining about the side of the boat they were on.

Believe me, these guys have SUCH a hard time that day - getting everyone off the boat from one cruise and then a whole new group of people on from the up coming cruise, they don't need any extra head aches. I'm certain they have plenty. If you do get a room you like, be sure to say thank you with a tip for everyone involved. They will be so happy to make you happy if you do that.
Old Sep 15th, 2010, 06:30 AM

Guess it depends on whether cruising north or south, someway or not. When we were in our cabin we were dressing or sleeping, thus which side didn't mean much. Otherwise, we were cruising where the top deck is best and which side doesn't much matter. The rest of the time you're sightseeing at the various temples on shore.

Being on a Movenpick boat, we either always had the bulkhead docking location so no walking thru other boats, though other boats tied up to us. All the boats have a schedule of when to be where and which docking spot they're assigned; reason why when advised when to be back at boat you'd better be or can be left behind... the boat has to depart according to schedule so others can tie up.

Besides our prime spots on the Nile itself - Kom Ombo, Edfu, Esna - at Luxor our boat docked at Crocodile Island where Movenpick has their Luxor hotel (Ville Jolie, believe that's the name)... a short shuttle ride or inexpensive taxi into Luxor proper. It was nice to be away from the crowds and we could use the hotel's facilities.
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 03:24 AM

That does sounds like a nice benefit to be able to use the hotel's facilities when in Luxor. I like that. Since Luxor is trying to move all the boats out of the town (to an area down south nearer to the bridge) anyway, being near their hotel would be a good thing.
Old Sep 16th, 2010, 06:26 AM

Debbie - Initially we hadn't the foggiest where we were docking, but were allowed off the boat which area was very dark. The hotel had sent a rep with torch to lead us to the hotel, which was designed much as the Movenpick in Cairo... those very large bungalows and great garden grounds Here we found the pools, restaurants, bars, etc... it was a nice break and when not touring (next day) at the temples and valleys, took the Shuttle Bus and wandered Luxor on our own.

Can only imagine with so many more boats docking "in" Luxor (since the years we had been), some order has to be made and moving them a bit farther south makes sense. Besides, the town isn't all that big so it's easy enough to get around on foot or the caleche carriages (inexpensive).