Search

Qatar/Doha advice

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qatar/Doha advice

I HAVE Emirates air miles which I have to use by the end of the month, or lose them. I only have enough for travel to the UAE. Since I've been to Dubai twice, I thought it might be interesting to try somewhere nearby. Abu Dhabi, I've visited and wasn't wild about. So that leaves Bahrain and Qatar. Of the two, I'm more inclined towards the latter. Any advice gratefully received.

PS: yes, I did also post this on the Asia site by mistake. Apologies. I do know my continents, I just wasn't thinking.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 07:50 AM

I just replied on the Asia Forum, if you have enough to Dubai and onwards to Doha or bahrain you should be ok for Muscat ( shorter distance ) and if you get out of Muscat City it is quite different from Doha or Bahrain, Muscat would be my personal choice.
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 08:39 AM

If the flights are free, you could consider a splurge at this great looking new place in Oman:

http://www.sixsenses.com/Six-Senses-...-Bay/index.php
Old Mar 7th, 2008, 08:53 AM

I've been to Bahrain, as a sidetrip from Dubai, but have not been, yet, to Qatar, but as between Doha and Manama, I'd choose Muscat (where I've been and which is very interesting).
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 01:56 AM

I agree with Oman as a great destination. Beautiful country.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

GUYS, that is a good call, I hadn't thought of Muscat so I looked it up and, not only does it look pretty promising, I have enough air miles to get there. Must check that it's not a 'dry' state: if I don't get the occasional cold beer on holiday I'm liable to get a bit grumpy. Thanks again.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 09:10 AM

Glad others agree, there are some good places outside of the city and you can find some great scenery.
getting a rental is a good option but if you choose that make sure you know which roads are good, many go off-road but I wouldn't advise unless you really know where you are going.

Nizwa is a couple of hours by road, the Western Hajar Mountains also a few hours.

http://www.destinationoman.com/destination.html

My knowledge as said is some years out of date and as we know things change 'fast' in the Gulf region.

This website that you can take in no more than 1 bottle of liquor and also says alcohol available hotel bars and restaurants

http://www.destinationoman.com/socialcustoms.html

Do give us a trip report wherever you decide as we are very lacking here on the Gulf, as more flights head West ( and East ) I am sure more people will be looking at stopovers in the Gulf so your feedback would be great to see.
Old Mar 8th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

SHOULDN'T think I'll be doing any driving, from what I saw in Dubai it's a bit scary. However, on the plus side, beer. WooHoo!

Of course, I shall do a trip report. I've noticed that the Middle East isn't as well covered as some areas. The main reason I've been so often is the direct Emirates service out of Glasgow, which opens up the Far East and Oz etc without having to go through the hell that is a transfer at Heathrow. Also, Emirates let you break the journey in Dubai for free. Add the fact that, when you live in Scotland anywhere with year-round sun is going to look attractive, you can see why it's popular.

In fact, many Brits are buying property in Dubai because, by our standards, they're giving it away.

It's still the most attractive Middle Eastern destination, in my view, because they try so hard to find things for tourists to see and do. That said, it does seem to be growing faster than the infrastructure can cope with.

Anyway I shall make some inquiries re hotels tomorrow.
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 03:12 AM

We hired a car with driver to take us into the mountains and to the desert. You could drive yourself if you're reasonably confident although it's worth having a 4wd to really see the best of the country. Our driver was also able to recommend places for photo opportunities and lunch/dinner.
Yes, you can buy alcohol in some restaurants and most hotels.