Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Proposed Botswana itinerary, what do you think?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

atravelynn, Predator Biologist, & other experienced Botswana-philes --

One of the agents we contacted is proposing the following itinerary for us in December -- I find it awfully appealing and the price seems pretty good to me -- but I would like to know what you think:

3 nights Mapula
3 nights Little Vumbura
4 nights Chief's Camp

$5766 pp all-in, including light air transfers from Maun and between the camps and back to Maun (excludes international air obviously)

Opinions please?
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 10:24 AM

Lisa: I think those camps are all in great areas and that you will really enjoy them all.

Mapula and Little Vumbura are going to be very similar in wildlife and landscape so there is a lot of overlap there but on the other hand 6 nights is not super lengthy so I don't think that is a problem -- better to have all 6 nights in a great area than to take 3 in a poorer area just to add variety so as long as that meets your needs I'd say do it.

Old Feb 7th, 2008, 04:51 PM

Wow Lisa, that price seems awfully good at less than $600 per night. Who is the agent?
Leslie
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

I think it seems pretty good too, although I am no expert (and to be honest this would be the most we have ever spent on a trip so it is still a lot to us!) Maybe the price is because Mapula is less expensive and Chief's is more so they kind of balance each other out, so the average comes out to about what Little Vumbura would be? Also apparently Chief's has a discount if you book at least 4 nights with them so that probably helps a bit. Anyway, this is just the first quote we have received so far. It was from go2africa which was recommended by some other folks on this board.

I hesitate only a bit because Chief's has no night drives or walks and a few of the recent reviews seem more mixed, and because Mapula is a bit less of a "known quantity" since it has not been open that long. I think we are pretty definite about Little Vumbura. Chitabe is also still a possibility (apparently Chitabe Lediba is closed at the time we are going though).
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 06:26 PM

You'll have a wonderful time. Looks great and so does the price.

Chief's Island means no night drives, but you'll have them at the other camps.

Based on Predator's experience, I'd go to Mapula.

Book it!
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 06:29 PM

Little V. is expensive too, so I agree with PB: Go for it.
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 07:27 PM

Lisa,
Here's my 2cents ......

I have no idea about pricing for those camps, so haven't a clue .....

Regarding Chief's camp - If i were you, i won't worry about the lack of night drives, as i'm sure there is plenty of gameviewing on offer on Chief's island and that time of the year there won't be any limitation of where you can go with regards to the annual delta flooding. Also, more often than not - in camps that do offer night drives, they are merely a drive back to camp with the spotlights on! Yes, very excieting regardless!!!

If i were you and going to Chief's my main worry would be if they focus more on the indoors vs the outdoors i.e., are they regimented? which may mean that you rush back for brunches and lunches, fancy bush picnics etc etc.,

Cheers
Hari
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 05:38 AM

Lisa,

If you are very interested in maximizing time in the bush and you are not as interested in some of the other amentities offered in camp, let your agent know that. That info is usually passed on to the camp managers, along with with dietary preferences such as being vegetarian or being keen birders, having an anniversary, etc. It can't hurt to mention this as long as your list of special requests is not too detailed so that you appear very high maintentance before you even arrive.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Lynn -- I can see it now: "We are celebrating our wedding anniversary and it is my birthday, please note that I am lacto-ovo-vegetarian but am allergic to wheat and mushrooms and my husband requires a macrobiotic raw food diet and prefers to be addressed only by his middle initial. The bed must face north-northwest for reasons of feng shui and be sure to cover any mirrors that face the water. Other than that we are quite low maintenance as long as no one looks either of us directly in the eye."
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 03:29 PM

Lisa, I think you guys were our safari mates at one camp.
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 06:46 PM

Lisa and LALeslie, You are hilarious!
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 07:01 PM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=4

Some interesting reading ....... not to confuse you, Lisa....
Old Feb 8th, 2008, 07:03 PM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=35079466

Oops ...... that's the correct link!