Search

Private vehicle at Mombo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Private vehicle at Mombo

I have booked a private vehicle at Mombo for my three night stay and was wonderring whether anyone else has done this and if so,what was your experience like?

Could you stay out all day?

Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 09:44 AM

Safarinut - or should I call you nut ;-)

I have not had a private vehicle at Mombo but will next year. They will definitely stay out all day as will other WS camps. I would recommend a private vehicle at Mombo if only to avoid the guests who are overdosed on animals after two days. Mombo is spectacular but will be even better when a significant proportion of the guests realize it is a safari camp!
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Hey,that's not the way to speak to a fellow mala mala junkie><

Thanks,I have never been to a WS camp and am not sure what to expect.

I requested tent number six,any specific tent that you liked in terms of view/location within the camp.

Thanks for your reply.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 06:22 PM

hey safarinut,
both times we have visited Mombo we stayed in tent 6 as well. i like it bc its right next to teh lounge so access to drinks etc during afternoon down time is very easy. and if you forget anything its easy access back to get it. also it doesnt hurt that the buffalo like to sleep under that tent and last visit we had a leopard lying under our tent for the afternoon.
Old Nov 17th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Bigcountry:

I remember reading somewhere that the buffalo liked this tent!

How far between tents at Mombo?

The only close encounter I've had with a leopard was at Ulusaba Safari lodge when Makwela and her three cubs decided my deck was the ideal resting place!

Thank you so much for all your feedback on Mombo,I really appreciate it
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 09:27 AM

We did not get a private vehicle when we visited Mombo in late September 2005. A couple who did this were photographers with equipment and needed set-up time. A private vehicle costs $350 per day according to Brandon the Mombo Camp Manager when I inquired.

We were there three days and had only another couple in our vehicle for one of the days. Our fellow guests were experienced safari enthusiasts and all had had come to Mombo because of the fantastic game at Mombo as well as the knowledgeable guides. Our guide was Alex and he did a great job on both animals and birds. We were able to see wild dogs twice and a black-backed jackal with pups.

I don't think it matters which tent you have...the buffalo sleep under all of them for protection from lions.
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 03:20 PM

We had tent three which was nice and I really dont mind the hike. The tents are a long way from each other, so ou can have quite a hike to get to the lounge.

I think you will love WS camps, we feel that we get the same high standards of guiding that we are used to at Mala Mala. The food is excellent and the facilities are wonderful. Camp life is definitely a bit more laid back, with you sitting where you want at meal times. A couple of times I have been expecting someone to show me where to sit and help me find everything, they tend not to do that at WS camps. In that respect the service is less formal than at Mala Mala.

Eight weeks today!!!!!
Old Nov 20th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

napamatt

Thanks for the info on Mombo,I can hardly wait.Who was your ranger there?
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 10:38 AM

Brooks, he was great, particularly good on his birds and delighted to have people in the vehicle with that interest.
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Matt

I spoke to the head ranger at Ulusaba today and they had about 60mm of rain this week.I am going to extend my safari in South Africa to include a 3 night stay at Ulusaba.

Can't wait...visiting old friends in the SSGR and BOTSWANA
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 09:11 AM

I'm not sure whether the camp was full when we were there or not--May 2005--but we did NOT pay for a private vehicle, yet we had one for two of our drives at Mombo. That was lovely. Unfortunately, our last two drives--of the six--we had six total people in the vehicle and the two other couples in the vehicle refused to sit in the third seat, so we had to sit in the third seat the last two game drives. Alex was our guide, and he did a wonderful job, especially when we had him all to ourselves! We drove a long way off the road one day, following some rhino tracks and eventually found them.

We had tent number 4, which was wonderful, as they all are. We had buffalo under our tent almost every night also..

Enjoy Mombo!
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 10:38 AM

Carol

I dont mind the last seat too much, particularly if the other guests are very new, then they can hear the various explanations of animal behaviour and I can prick up my ears when the guide gets into more detail.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 11:21 AM

I found the third seat VERY uncomfortable riding. Plus I really loved Alex as a guide, in general, but he was basically impossible to hear or understand from the third seat..
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Carol Hill

Looked at your albums of your various trips and it's amazing.

Thanks for sharing!