Prescription meds in Dubai

Old Aug 24th, 2019, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Prescription meds in Dubai

Our Princess cruise in fall of 2020 ends in Dubai. We'll fly back to the USA after spending 2 nights there. I've read they are strict regarding drugs. We take prescriptions for blood pressure, cholesterol, & acid reflux. I use Symbicort inhaled mist for asthma & my husband uses 2 types of insulin. Might there be a problem with any of these types of medications? Thank you for any helpful info.
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 02:49 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I've purchased meds over-the-counter in Dubai that require an RX just about anywhere else.

BUT, that was several years ago. And I've just found this, dated October 2018:

All tourists and residents entering the UAE will now need approval to bring personal medicines across the border, the Ministry of Health has announced.

However, it's easy to get permission – all it takes is a simple online form, and it's completely free.

To bring personal medicines to the UAE, a doctor's prescription, passport or Emirates ID copy and some other verification details need to be submitted using the Ministry of Health website.

It will then by reviewed by officials and approved within one working day, with the medicines then checked on entry by an inspector.

Passengers can take one month of controlled or semi-controlled medicine into the country or three months of non-controlled medicine.

https://www.timeoutdubai.com/news/38...s-into-the-uae

Last edited by Melnq8; Aug 24th, 2019 at 02:53 PM.
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

melnq8- thank you for the info!
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 08:09 AM

The above is only valid for medication that is on the 'banned medicines' list.
https://dubaiofw.com/banned-medicines-in-uae/
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 05:22 AM

The UAE bans all narcotics, pseudoephedrine, some prescription sleep aids, and most psych meds. If your meds aren't one of those, then you should be fine, but you should take a printed copy of your prescription with you. Ask you doctor for a travel consult before you depart, and get all this taken care of.
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by doug_stallings
you should take a printed copy of your prescription with you.
I have never been asked a list of my medication when entering the UAE (but I have it with me, just in case).