Search

post safari nights chobe vs livingstone

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
post safari nights chobe vs livingstone

post safari,

i want to spend one night at royal livingstone and one night in chobe.

what about the middle night? of the two, where would you spend your extra night?

is there enough to do in chobe for two days, or does it get repetitive?

if i check in at royal livingstone, is it so great that i won't want to leave to explore?

is there any other option between the two that you would suggest?

i know th quality of the accoms will be higher in livingstone, but thanks for your opinions on whether one destination is better than the other for filling the second day.

kerikeri
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 02:41 PM

Hi there,

Personally i would not stay at royal livingstone. Take a look at www.star-of-africa.com , the Sussi lodge is a rustic but luxious retreat. IT is set inside the Mosi oa Tunya national park. When i stayed there last september elephants came across into camp for three out of my four nights. You also have the option of a very private boat trip, game drives and a visit to the falls.
I would recommend at least two nights in Zambia if you stay there. All visitors should in my opinion, microlight the falls, view them on foot and raft the zambezi. With other activities also on at the lodge this would make for an action packed few days.

In regards to Chobe, a boat trip is highly recommended, though this would clash with my other favourite of the evening game drive. Apart from that, it is hit and miss as you dont have the freedom of going off road like at the selinda - amazing for wild dogs!

Hope this helps
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Original Poster

thanks back to africa:

yes, very helpful.

i have figured a way out of the chobe night drive versus river quandry: book the private boat for the early morning and do the night drive!

i really hadn't thought of sussi because it looked as though the rooms were open to the elements (mozzies). if that isn't the case i will definitely enquire as i would very much enjoy hearing the animals at night.

thanks!
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 01:03 AM

private boat trip

The only thing with the boat trip is that most activity happens down at the river in the afternoon. When they come down to drink! This was in the dry season though. When i get back to university this afternoon i will post some pictures for you to see!
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 09:50 AM

Pictures

As im new to the forum i hve realised that i can not post pictures. If you want some drop me your email and will send them on. Soem from Sussi lodge too!
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 12:47 AM

hi there

check out this link for some photos. The only one taken from the afternoon game drive at chobe is the elephant sunset one. Apart from that they are all on the boat trip
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 12:48 AM

idiot

It may help if i remembered to post the link

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.js...id=71559719506
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 01:15 AM

Dear Kerikeri

i would definatly suggest staying in Livingston, it is such a special place and two nights is just about enough, there is nothing wrong with The Royal Livingstone, it is a very big luxurious hotel, with masseuses on hand etc, It definatly has its purpose there and is a lovely luxury hotel, my favourite has to be Stanleys Lodge, which is behind the Royal Livingstone but has amazing views is warm and welcoming and if open rooms worry you they give you the choice of open or closed. In Chobe look at Chobe Chilwero which is smaller and more personal for luxury but for an amazing experiance you really should try Muchenje Safari Lodge.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

thanks to you both- i will check out those lodges and i appreciate the 'closed room" tip.

bigcountry- i will check out your cool pics later! so nice of you to link to them for me.

Old Nov 16th, 2004, 03:53 PM

Hi Debbi,
Can you tell us more about the Stanley Safari Lodge... food, service etc.
Also, wondered if you booked it directly or thru a travel company ?
We are thinking of ending our SA trip in Vic Falls. Seems like a couple of nights there would be enough to see the sights and enjoy a few adventures.
Thanks,
Brenda