Search

Please help me decide on one of these 2 options for a SA trip

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help me decide on one of these 2 options for a SA trip

Hi Everyone,

A few days ago I had posted a thread in what I intend to do in my first trip to South Africa. Since I am taking my two girls with me I have decided I prefer a malaria free safari and have now decided on choosing between these two different options. I have actually had a co-worker who has been to south africa help me with my trip.

july 15 Take a connecting flight from
JBURG to CAPETOWN
july 16 CAPETOWN
july 17 "
july 18 "
july 19 "
july 20 "
july 21 "
july 22 "
july 23 "
july 24 HERMANUS
july 25 HERMANUS
july 26 GARDEN ROUTE - stay in knysa and take day trips to ouddhroom, george, plett and wilderness.
july 27 GARDEN ROUTE
july 28 GARDEN ROUTE

FIRST OPTION

july 29 do a safari in the eastern cape since it is malaria free. Choosing between Blaauwbosch or lalibela.
july 30 safari
july 31 safari
august1 leave SA from JOBURG

+++++++++++OR+++++++++++

SECOND OPTION

july 29 fly to SUNCITY and take turns with hubby and mom in taking day trips to pilanesburg. We hope there will be alot of activites to keep our kids entertained while we take turns between babysitting and game viewing.
july 30 SUNCITY
july 31 SUNCITY
august1 Leave SA from JOBURG

Old May 9th, 2006, 07:11 AM
santharamhari

Kwandwe game reserve may well be in a malaria free area.....pretty accessible from Cape Town.

Chk out www.ccafrica.com

I dont think the game viewing options you had mentioned are really very great......

Hari

Old May 9th, 2006, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

santharamhari
Thanks for your sugguestion. I will look into the Kwandwe game reserve. I actually chose the safari's I mentioned from http://www.bushbabytravel.com/
Old May 11th, 2006, 09:23 AM

Hi I am Dutch and live in France Last year August we have been in SA and did (starting from J'burg , the coast , winelands Capetown and safari . It might be an idea to start in the East, drive with 3 stops via the coast and gardenroutes to Capetown after your stay in Capetown you fly to for instance Hoedspruit for your safari and then go to (then near) Johannesburg to fly back home. We thought it was reat to do it this way (everything was recommended by a friend in SA) who was in the travel business before.
We stopped in Plettenberg, Oudtshoorn and Knysna , I think it is nicer and less tiring even if you have to move, than when you have to come back each time to Knysna. You can do the trip with 3 stops (on the way visit an oistrich farm for the kids they will like that) without driving too much.
I personnally think that you have far too much time in Capetown. In 3 max. 4 night you can see everything: the city and table mountain, the peninsula and the Cape. Do not forget that you are there in the winter! As hotel the winery Constantia Uitsig was highly recommended to us, this is not in the very center of the city( although real close, it is more like a suburb)and it turned out to be the perfect location to visit all I described above very easily. It is a wineryand they have just great halfboard plan dinners. It is not the cheapest but far from the most expensive and they have packages, in combination with their safarii camp in the East which is just fabulous. I do not know how old your girls are but do not forget that many lodges do not accept kids under 10 or 12... We had very nice addresses of guesthouses during our trip to Capetown let me know if you need more info. For special prices in lodges do not forget "mt beds". Good luck!
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:50 AM

Hi again I have found your first thread only today and now realize the age of your children so I don't think my recommendations help a lot... sorry!
Old May 12th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Ivee,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post and then to comeback and repost once you found out the ages of my girls
I really am overwhelmed with all the information I am collecting. I think I am leaning towards the first option but I still am confused about the game reserves I should look at. I know I want it to be 5 star, child friendly and easy to get to. How many animels should I expect to see? Will it be a few of each animels or more like herds?