Plan Itinerary for Israel:How Many Days?

Old Oct 3rd, 2007, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plan Itinerary for Israel:How Many Days?

We are planning a trip in early April '08 to Israel. We want a trip that is diverse; by that I mean ~30% religous (emphasis on Jewish faith)but not to the exclusion of Christianity and Muslim faiths, 30% cultural (way different communities[ not necessarily faiths] live/traditions, 10% unusual and beautiful scenery (we have scene much of US, Asia[Thailand, Indonesia], Caribbean (15+ islands)etc.15% art communities [paintings, sculpture,etc.]. We are not into trinkets. We enjoy visiting 3-5 museums but rather be sightseeing outdoors 90% of the time.
Places such as Tel Aviv/Jaffa, Jericho, Jerusalem/Bethlehem, Masada/Dead Sea, Gallilee are givens. We are NOT HIKERS due to a bad knee so interesting temples or ruins that one must walk more than 1/4 mile to access are out unfortunately.We were considering 6 full days/7 nights if that makes sense but could add 1 or 2 extra full days if really worthwhile.
We then will be returning to Tel Aviv to fly to Taba Heights, Egypt (100 mi. north of Sharm El Sheik) for 4 days of diving/snorkeling before returning to NYC.
Can you help. Are we on the right track? We have a full-time driver except for 1 day we want on our own but on the the main part of the trip we rather go where Fodorites have visited and enjoyed (and 4 and/or 5 star hotels that added to the experience.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 01:33 AM
eri

2 comments:
1. Are you serious planning to go to all these places in 6 days? True Israel is a small country but 6 days is not a sufficient time for all your plans even if you calculate them in percents.
2. If you are interested in diving and snorkeling Sharm is a better site.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 11:50 AM

What eri said...

Also, is there a diret flight from Tel Aviv to "Taba Heights"? Never heard Taba having "heights".... To me Taba is just accross the border from Eilat...

I'd skip Jericho and Bethlehem, both are within the Palestinian Authority, both not as safe for tourists.

Yes, add more days to your itenerary. Crossing the ocean for a 6 day trip is not enough.
Old Oct 7th, 2007, 12:37 PM

I'm exhausted reading this!

Is there a flight from TLV to Taba direct? Don't think so!

Years ago did a 1/wk trip with private guide and still only managed Masada, Tel Aviv (surrounds) and Jerusalem. And could have spent another week enjoying the last two.

I don't have a calendar in front of me, but early April had better not be Passover; if so, accommodations maybe hard to comeby.

Suggest you slow down (add a few days) or it'll all be a big blur!

Old Oct 9th, 2007, 11:05 AM

Early Apr should be ok holiday-wise, as I just found out Passover would be 20-26 Apr. It's a good time of the year--not too cold, not too hot.

I agree with others 6 days are a bit of a stretch, unless you just limit yourself to Tel Aviv-Jerusalem-North. I also would not consider including Jericho. You'll get enough sense of muslim part of the country by walking around E. Jerusalem. 1/4 mile walking maximum may make it a bit of a challenge to go to Masada even with a cable car. Also, most of Jerusalem Old City is a walking area--would more than 1/4 mile on flat surface be ok?