Search

Anyone up for a Uganda trip 6/2005?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2004, 02:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone up for a Uganda trip 6/2005?

9 day safari proposed

Hi, here is the plan. Working with GREAT LAKES SAFARIS. Like always, I travel alone. But this one needs at least 2 people. If interested e-mail me at:
[email protected]
Thanks, David

DAY 1: KAMPALA – BWINDI 6th June

After early morning pick-up from place of Rest, then depart to Bwindi, which is around an 8-hour journey. With a stop at the craft village at the equator for pictures and shopping, we continue to Mbarara for lunch and later proceed through the beautiful evergreen mountain country referred to as the "Little Switzerland of Uganda". Arrive Bwindi late evening for dinner and overnight at Buhoma Community Bandas, for budget travelers.

DAY 2: BWINDI - GORILLA TREKKING - FULL DAY 7th June
After early breakfast, with your packed lunch go for a briefing at 08:00 hours before beginning the trek. Gorilla tracking is unpredictable, so it is difficult to foresee how many hours you will hike. It may take 2-8 hours, and you should be prepared to walk a long distance in steep and muddy conditions, sometimes with rain overhead, before you encounter any gorillas.
For conservation purposes, time spent with the gorillas is limited to one hour. The ranger guide always briefs you on how to behave with these gentle giants. Later return for dinner and overnight at Buhoma Community Bandas.

DAY 3: GORILLA TREKKING - FULL DAY 8th June

After early breakfast, the second gorilla Trekking Takes place, considering another group of Gorillas this day for a different excursion experience.

The Other Counter part joining the Trip may opt not to Trek the gorillas the second time BUT go for Cultural Walks and tour the villages as well. Also there’s a Nature Walk called Munyanga River Board Walk that introduces clients to young water falls and Birds. So as an option the other person can do this..

Later return for dinner and overnight at Buhoma Community Bandas.

DAY 4: BWINDI - QUEEN ELIZABETH 9th June
After breakfast, you will transfer to Queen Elizabeth National Park. The park is rich in wildlife and a birder's paradise!
Arrive through the famous Ishasha Sector, in anticipation of rewarding your cameras by seeing the tree-climbing lions. Check in this evening at Institute of Ecology Hostels.
We stayed at the resort level accomodation , Mweya Safari Lodge, and it was lovely! I liked QE Park. We say lots of wildlife there, including a lioness with 3 cubs right at the side of the road at sunset!

DAY 5: QUEEN ELIZABETH NATIONAL PARK 10th June
At 6:30am, depart for a game drive on the northerly parts of the park along the Kasenyi track. This is the best time for opportunities of viewing the cats in action. Later return for breakfast. Take an afternoon boat cruise on the Kazinga Channel, which is a link between the two lakes George and Edward. Look for solitary Buffalo, Hippos and other animals at the edge of the channel as they cool off. Dinner and overnight at Institute of Ecology Hostels.

DAY 6: QUEEN- KIBALE NATIONAL PARK 11th June

After breakfast, You HAVE 2 OPTIONS:

At An Extra of $30.usd per person; you may choose the option of exploring Kyambura Wildlife Reserve. Driving through grassland area, all of a sudden we come across an amazing gorge of tropical rainforest 100 meters deep. Hike into Kyambura River Gorge for an unforgettable experience trekking chimpanzees. It's a rewarding experience not only to see the chimpanzees, but also to see the beautiful river valley that houses numerous bird and butterfly species.

An no Extra Fee, Others can opt to go for the Maramagambo Forest Walk. We walked thru Maramagmbo and it is beautiful, an easy walk. The bats are creepy and cool. It was really nice!

It is a great experience walking through one of the biggest Forests in Uganda. Bird lovers can have a great time here being exposed to many forest species, visit the Bat Caves which sometimes attract the Rock Pythons that feed on the bats, you may see them or not. There are other forest dwellers which you may see as you walk through the thick vegetation and elephant dug holes.

After any of the 2, have lunch and you will then transfer to Kibale National Park, a home of Primates! Dinner and overnight at Rwenzori View Guest House. We stayed at Nadali lodge and, as I said before, this place has one of the best vistas I have ever seen! and went to Kibale from there.

DAY 7: KIBALE CHIMP TREKKING/ PRIMATE WALK. 12th June
Breakfast early, and then start your early morning primate walk. This park boasts the highest number of primate species in Africa, and among the many you will see Chimpanzees, Black and White Colobus monkey, and Grey cheeked Mangabay's. Return for lunch at your accommodation and then have an afternoon jaunt to the Bigodi Swamp. This place is good for birders and butterfly lovers. Return in the evening for dinner, overnight and relaxation at Kanyankyu Tourist Bandas.

DAY 8: KIBALE CHIMP TREKKING/ PRIMATE WALK. 13th June
Breakfast early, and then another primate walk till lunch and afternoon drive back to Fortportal town, on your way many stops will be made, relax till evening for dinner and overnight at Rwenzori View Guest house.

As an option, you may have another afternoon walk to the Bigodi Swamp. This place is good for birders and butterfly lovers. Return in the evening for dinner, overnight and relaxation at Rwenzori View Guest House.

DAY 9: KIBALE – KAMPALA 14th June
Explore the region, which has many crater lakes, and later proceed to Kampala with lunch enroute. Arrive at Kampala, and you will be dropped at your Residence hotel.

END OF SERVICES WITH GREAT LAKES SAFARIS.

Cost of Safari – CONSIDERING BUDGET SAFARI FOR 2 PEOPLE

Cost Per Person - $ 1,360 USD PER PERSON

The prices Include:
All ground transportation, Game drives, Park entrance fees, 2 Chimp trekking permits in Kibale, Boat launches, Ranger fees, All meals and Accommodation in Budget places mentioned.

The prices Exclude:
Gorilla Permits fee (which is $360 per person), Primate Walk in Kyambura at $30.usd per person, items of personal effects, bar bills, tips, personal insurance, air charters and laundry, Airport transfers – unless paid for.

EXPECTED TOTAL EXPENSES FOR YOU.

1. Safari Fees (9 days/8 nights) = $1,360.usd. per person

2. 2 Gorilla Permits (your Option) = $720.usd per person

3. Kyambura Gorge fee (optional) = $30.usd per person

4. Accommodation on Arrival Night and Departure Night = $60.usd per person (2 nights)

GRAND TOTAL EXPENSES FROM ABOVE: $2.170.USD. PER PERSON.

Old Dec 18th, 2004, 06:07 AM

I did a similar trip in August 2003, also with two gorilla treks (one in Bwindi and one in Rwanda at Parc Nacional Volcans). If you are interested in my trip report, click on my screen name and you'll be able to scroll down (original post was in August 2003).

I also traveled alone (girlfriend at that time had no interest in Uganda and Rwanda) and I planned trip with Volcanoes Safaris (it was much more than your quote, which is an excellent price for that trip).

Its an amazing trip.

Michael
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi, my tour op friend in Kenya used Volcanoe Safaris with her husband a couple of yrs. ago. I looked at them also. Bit much though. Yes, I know this is a good price.Also getting good feed back from clients who have used Great Lakes.You want to the Gorillas again?
Thanks, David
Old Dec 18th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi, I guess nobody wants to work up a sweat. Trekking for the GREAT APES! Pity,should be great! It could anyones last chance, you never know!
D
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 05:43 AM

Hey Tusker,
I just signed up last week to do a Gorilla Trek like Thit_cho through Volcanoes, organized and led by the Dian Fossey Organization.

The trek is in Feb of '05 and will go to both Rwanda and Uganda and also take us to Ngamba Island.

Thit_cho-
This is something I've been wanting to do for years...Your reports had stuck out in the back of my mind for months and when this opportunity came along, I couldn't pass it up. Thanks for the nudge.

I am so looking forward to this trip! We're also adding on a mini-safari in the Mara (one of my fav places) when the trek is done. I'm trying to squeeze out a few more days somewhere else, but time is always a factor.

So...Africa...here I come again!
Yippee!
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 07:32 AM

I'm glad you've been able to schedule the trip -- its amazing. I don't know if you have time, but since you've already been to the Mara, Queen Elizabeth NP is a nice park in Uganda, and Mweya Safari Lodge is excellent (not high end like lodges in Sabi Sands, but very nice and great location). If you're overlanding in Uganda, its within 5 hours or so of Bwindi.

Have fun,

Michael
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

hi divewop. good for you! but i wish you were going on my trip. i need a little help with it. i won't be booking for awhile yet though. will let you know what i end up doing.
thanks,david
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

hello, for divewop, some mara stuff to get you going!http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/1e53c/1f4e76/
also, click on the tab that says:
Travelogues

thanks, david
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 03:58 PM

Tusker,
Your pics are great. I really like the one on your intro page of the male lion looking through the bush. Thanks for the link.

Your Uganda trip does sound great. If I had not already booked mine, I would have seriously considered joining your tour.

thit_cho-
I would love to go to Queen Eliabeth N.P. but unfortunately I am also going solo and time is limited. The Mara was an add on by the tour operator and one of the other folks on the Gorilla trek is joining me on that leg. Otherwise, heck...I'd stay for a month and see it all. And I'd still have to do the Mara. I just love it there.

I'm then turning around and heading back to Africa in July to finally do the Kili climb which is something I've been wanting to do for a long time too. I'll stay in Africa and play after that trek too but I don't know where yet.

What the heck is it about that continent that keeps us all going back? In my mind it's like no other place in the world exists any more.
Help...I'm addicted!
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

thanks, but i kinda like the asian cutie
have so many more!!!!
divewop, go back to my pages. go to tsavo west page. maybe stay there. do what i did!! later,
d
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

divewop here.
let me know if you need anything.
david
http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/1e53c/1f4b36/
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 05:27 AM

I have never been on that kind of tour but Has any one been on a Real Africa excursins trip to Uganda? I am thinking to go on one of their trips soon. You go out for 12 or 14 days, work with a local project for the first 4 to 5 days and then they take you on Safari, and loads of other fun stuff includng white water rafting. Thier activities incolve working in schools, villages, hospitals building foot bridges and so on. Their website is www.real-africa.co.uk if any one has been on their trip please advise me on what to pack and what to look out for.