Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Gorillas in the midst of August 2009? Divewop and Atravelynn want to go to Rwanda, etc.

Gorillas in the midst of August 2009? Divewop and Atravelynn want to go to Rwanda, etc.

Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

We're interesting in several trips up the mountain and the golden monkeys too. Hopefully, Kenya as well.

No concrete plans at this point.

I have to be back by about Aug 23.

By Aug 2009 Divewop will probably have been back to her gorilla buddies several times.

What do you think?
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 11:31 AM

This sounds like a brilliant plan! August is usually a tough time for me to get away but definitely keep posting as this develops.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 12:48 PM

I did something similar in August 2003, but only two treks, one in Bwindi and one in PNV, but I did combine that trip with a very short safari in Kenya (only Samburu to see the north-of-the-equator species).

I booked the Uganda/Rwanda portion with Volcanoes Safaris, and I booked directly with Serena for the Samburu trip.

I posted a trip report, but I'm sure its long buried by now (no photos though since I was using film on that trip).

Michael
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

My what do you think should have been elongated to what do you think about joining us?
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 04:19 PM

Sandy and Lynn, I would love to see you in Africa. Our plan is to do our great white shark and Tanzania Northern Circuit trip in July 2009. If your itinerary includes passing through Arusha, maybe we will see you as we are leaving and you are coming in. We don't have our dates set yet, but my guess is we will be heading out through Arusha about the 2nd or 3rd week of July '09.

I am jealous you are going back to see the gorillas, but I am dying to do a more conventional safari, this time with serious camera equipment! Sandy, I know you can identify with that!

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying Colorado.

Chris
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 04:32 PM

Chris-
Still early days but we'll keep you posted on the plans.

And if only Nikon and Canon would stop coming out with new DSLRs every six months.

Nikon has some new kick-ass cameras on the market now and some brand new even more kick-ass telephoto lens, of course with nice price-tags attached.

And of course, the lens I'm eyeing is back-ordered til gawd only knows when.

CO is nice, the critters are awesome, but I do miss some things about ATL (don't tell anyone I said that )
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 04:47 PM

Sandy I have been watching the incredible offerings from Nikon recently -- which lens do you have on order?

I am gearing up too, probably going to get a new Canon 40D and a 300/2.8 next year. I think it is wonderful how Nikon is turning up the heat on Canon, it can only be good for photographers!

Chris

P.S. If you ever come back to ATL to visit, be sure to let us know!
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 04:47 PM

Darn, I think I'll miss you by a month! I'm thinking of going gorilla trekking after my Kenya safari, around Sept. 20.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 04:58 PM

In August 2009 I'll be in Edinburgh, Glasgow and trips to the Orkney and Shetland Islands.

And then back to Africa in December 2009 -- if I can put it together, I'll visit Eritrea, Djibouti (to see the whale sharks) and Ethiopia (with a stop in Khartoum, Sudan if flights permit).
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 08:13 PM

Chris-
Don't have a lens on order yet, but I've got a gift certificate to B&H
I need to use. Not that it'll do much toward the cost of the lens! I'm looking at the new 400mm f/2.8G ED VR. It's sweet! BTW...it's not backordered as I thought, it's not in yet so maybe I've got a chance. That is, if I win the lottery first!

Michael-
Have fun in Scotland and surrounding areas in '09. Have always had an interest in visiting there so am looking forward to hearing all about it.
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 08:19 PM

Sandy, that 400/2.8 is a supremo lens, but oh how heavy it is! I saw someone in China using the Canon version of that lens and it looked enormous in person! That kind of lens will need its own game drive vehicle! I hope you get it!

Chris
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 08:28 PM

LOL.
Well, it's only about half a pound heavier than it's predecessor. Good for building the ole' upper body strength!
At least that'll be my story when I'm whining about the weight! And when I when the lottery, I'll just have someone else carry it around for me!
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 08:32 PM

when the lottery=win the lottery. Geez, I've gotten bad at typos lately!
Old Dec 2nd, 2007, 08:48 PM

You are really making me feel self-conscious now! I had decided to get a 300/2.8 and just use it with TCs instead of a 500/4 because of size and weight considerations!

If you can get that lens up the side of Mt. Bisoke you will take the greatest gorilla pictures EVER.

Chris
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 06:41 AM

I'll probably still use my 80-400 for the gorillas due to the flexibility of the zoom and weight. It does well for that purpose, although I wish it was a stop or two faster, especially when in the bamboo and/or low light vegetation areas.

I rarely even use it in the 400 range now when photographing the gorillas. Seems like they're letting people get closer and closer to the gorillas every time I visit.(something I don't like or approve of!)

My main use for the 400 would be exactly what you're interested in the 300 for. With a TC it would work great for general wildlife photography.

I am eye-ing the 600 as well, but I think the 400 would be a wiser investment at this point.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 06:55 AM

That makes sense. I didn't really believe you were going to try to haul a 400/2.8 up there, not only does it lack the flexibility of your zoom, but you would also need a tripod and a Wimberly head, which we both know is totally impractical for shooting gorilla pictures.

If you have the ability to carry the 400/2.8 around for more general purpose wildlife shooting, I think it would be far more flexible than a 600/4, since it would give you incredible low-light capability because of the faster aperture. Plus you could get to a 600mm focal length with a TC, and I'm sure a lens that big takes a TC very well. And when you didn't need that length, you would enjoy the ability to get great subject isolation and clean, low-ISO images by opening the aperture up.

If the gorilla situation is developing as you related (which I agree is not a positive development, and I experienced it too), I am more convinced than ever that a 70-200/2.8 is the lens of choice to deal with the low light that can happen up there.

If you get a chance, e-mail me the site where you are hosting your pictures, I would love to see some of your recent stuff.

Chris
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 07:14 AM

LOL...if I ever finish the damn thing!
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Sandy, there is a rule that you cannot board the plane for your next Africa trip until you have finished posting and hosting all your pictures from the previous one.

You won't even get through security!

For anyone who sees all the high tech camera comments and thinks they may need a big lense to go on this excursion. You don't. I don't have one and I won't be getting one.
Old Dec 3rd, 2007, 10:19 AM

Aww...c'mon Lynn. Work with me. Procrastination is one of my finer points!

Lynn is right about the cameras & lens. I've seen photos from point & shoots that are just as good as from the "hi-tech" stuff. The resolution may not be as good, but for pics for personal use, they work great.

I do have reasons, as some of you know, to use the higher end stuff. I haven't figured out what those reasons are yet...