Reload this Page >

Our experience in South Africa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 1998, 04:42 PM
Downing family

Our family of two adults and two college girls went to SA early this year. It was the trip of a lifetime. Notes: <BR>1. South African Airways gives good service, but their reservations people did not always agree what days the flights operate! <BR>2. Rental cars are expensive, but worth it. Driving requires care because of driving on left, sudden potholes on even the best roads, some wild local drivers, and stalled cars waiting just around blind corners. But fun. <BR>3. Jburg is just a big, dangerous city. Skip it except for "Jimmy's Face to Face" tour of Soweto. <BR>4. Game parks: Near Kruger is a camp called "Honeyguide", described in Fodor's SA book. We loved it. Stayed 5 nights, which is a little too long for most, but we loved it. <BR>Also had a good time doing our own tour at Hluhluwe-Umfolozi. Worth a day or two. <BR>5. "Shakaland" was less than we hoped- we spent New Year's eve there, and the tour was too brief. Still, worthwhile. <BR>6. Crime is a problem anywhere. Your best defense is alertness and common sense. <BR>

Old Nov 30th, 1998, 10:21 AM
kIM

Thanks for your info on SA. I'll be visiting Cape Town in February and any information I can get on SA is greatly appreciated! <BR>

Old Dec 1st, 1998, 09:59 AM
The Cookes

We concur with the Downings - Honeyguide was great(we loved staying in a tent - you really hear the animals - luxurious, too!), as was Hluhluwe (we stayed at Hill Top - thatched cabins, very nice). Visit the Ilala Weavers in Hluhluwe - beautiful Zulu baskets. When in Cape Town be sure to go to Simon's Town (on the peninsula) to see the Jackass Penguins. Also the vineyards are wonderful. Don't forget Hermanus (whales migrate thru there, although maybe they will be gone by February - still it's really pretty). We were nervous about crime, etc before going, but had a great time with no troubles. Just be cautious and use common sense. <BR>South Africa is so beautiful, you'll really enjoy it.

Old Feb 11th, 1999, 04:10 PM
Judy James

We spent 7 great weeks travelling around ZA in November and december. Hluhluwe was certainly a highlight. One little place I recomend is in the middle of the little Karoo desert, sort of a stopover, and that is Colesberg, a small desert town where you feel safe, its very colorful and the people are friendly, in fact there were friendly people everywhere we went in that beautiful country. Your dollar (yes even your canadian dollar) goes a long way! It was a pleasure to see my visa receipts to find that I had spent less than I thought I was spending!

Old Mar 21st, 1999, 12:43 PM
Brian

We are 3 couples planning to spend 2 weeks in SA during new years 2K. Any safari advice you could provide would be greatly apppreciated. Include things to avoid. What are your thoughts on safaris in or around Kruger Park?