Phil Douglis' public pages on Expressive Travel Photography

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2005, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PND (Phil) shared this link in another thread but I think it merits a thread of it's own:

http://www.pbase.com/pnd1

Not only does it provide a wonderfully diverse range of eye-catching and thought-provoking images but also motivation and inspiration that we can all take away with us on our upcoming trips.

Old Aug 15th, 2005, 11:51 AM

You are so kind, Kavey, to post these thoughts on my galleries. I welcome anyone to them who is interested in learning more about photographic expression. I have taught this subject for the last 35 years, and now provide this learning resource as a service to travel photographers. I always look forward to the comments and questions you may wish to post below my examples, and I will respond to all of them.

Thanks again for your kind words, Kavey. I am delighted you find my site of value.

Phil Douglis
Director
The Douglis Visual Workshops
Phoenix, AZ
Old Aug 15th, 2005, 07:47 PM

Wonderfully beautiful Phil. I wanna be like you when I grow up!

Carla
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 12:39 AM
Original Poster

Phil, I have also shared the site with friends on a photo hobby site, I hope that's OK?

I figured that as the pages were publicly posted your intention was to offer them as help to anyone interested.

The site I shared them on is dpchallenge.com and I know your images will delight many folks there...

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 08:48 AM

Phil, I need your help. I told you I had the Canon G5 & I was practicing with it yesterday to learn more about it. You said you used to have one & I'm trying to figure out how to get to Continuos Shooting & can't find it on the Menu anywhere. Any help would be appreciated.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 09:16 AM

Thanks, Carla for your kind words on my galleries. If you study them carefully and practice what I am teaching there, there is no reason why you can't grow up to a wonderfully expressive photographer. All it takes is passion, knowledge and practice. If you have the passion and are willing to practice, I can give you that knowledge through my teaching galleries. Enjoy, and learn.

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 09:18 AM

Kavey,

By all means feel free to share my teaching galleries with your friends on dpchallenge. I welcome their participation, and thank you for passing the link on to them.

Phil
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 09:21 AM

regg11,

I no longer own the camera or the manual, but if it is similar to the G6 which I now have, you will find that continuous shooting is controlled through pushing a button, not a menu choice. The button has a little icon showing multiple frames overlaid upon each other. I think there is both a high speed and a low speed version of continuous shooting available. Good luck,
Phil
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 10:37 AM
bwanamitch

Phil,
Your galleries are fantastic! And a good motivation to continue with my own travel photography. Thank you.
Mitch

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 11:39 AM

Thanks, Mitch. I am glad you are inspired by my galleries. That was my intention, and I hope you will use them as a learning resource. Thanks again for your kind comments and good luck in your travel photography.

Phil
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 11:57 AM

Phil, I found out how to do continous shooting. The reason I couldn't get it to come on is I was in the AUTO position & it won't work there. Never said in the Manual that you had to change modes. Thanks again...Jim
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 12:18 PM

Good thinking. I always assume that "Auto" is used by absolute beginners, and no beginner even thinks about using continuous shooting, which can't be accessed in the "Auto" mode.

Unfortunately, the mode dial on all of the G series cameras is also easily dislodged by accident. I will be blazing away on my G6 and suddenly find that my spot meter won't work, or that I can't chose to shoot continuously, and sure enough -- the mode dial has somehow been nudged into Auto.

I always use my cameras on P, AV or S, from where I can access all of the cameras features, and it is very frustrating to suddenly become crippled by nothing more than an accidental nudge. It is a design flaw on Canon's part -- and yet to be corrected with a nudge-proof mode control
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 12:26 PM

I am an Absolutely beginner & was just trying all the different funtions on the camera. I don't even know if I will ever use that feature. When would you really shoot like that? Seems to me you would get a lot of photos all most alike. Your comments would be welcomed....Jim
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 12:33 PM

Me too! I also want to be like Paul when I grow up

Judy
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 12:55 PM

You can join the club, too, Judy.

Phil
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

I want to be like Phil too, in terms of photographic skill but...

I definitely don't want to grow up!
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 01:17 PM
bwanamitch

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 02:18 PM

I'm with you, Kavey. I am 71 and still think and see like a kid. I have never lost my enthusiasm for story telling, either. I love to see pictures that tell a story, and I do whatever I can to tell a story when I make them.

I think that anyone who spends as much time and money and effort as we do to explore and photograph the natural world has to have a lot of kid inside of them. Kids love the unpredictable. They give free reign to their imaginations. And that's what a safari is really all about, isn't it?

Phil
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 02:20 PM

Forget about the years of Zambia promotion that I have done on this board...once Phil gets to Zambia I can hardly wait to see the photos that he returns with!

Phil, self-promotion is not allowed on the forum but please let me know the next time you hold one of your multi-day workshops in Sedona and I would be happy to plug it as just about all of us here would really benefit from your knowledge. Anyone in the Western U.S. would be a good candidate for one of your forums, and you may count on me driving in from Los Angeles, providing you wait for it to cool down a bit in Arizona before your next workshop!
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 04:45 PM

Thanks, Roccco, for your comments. I am looking forward to those images you are talking about too -- I never, ever count my pictures before they are hatched, so am promising nothing at this point. But my tentative plan is to do an instructional gallery devoted entirely to wildlife photography, using my yet to be created Zambian images as subject matter. Now all I have to do is find that subject matter and make those images.

As for my workshops, I would be happy to tell you, or anyone else, more about them if you send me an email. I hope this will not violate the "no-self promotion rule" here -- I have no intentions of doing so.

Thanks again,

Phil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -