Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Payment to Kenya Airways for online booking. Have you done it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in the US. I just reserved four of the last five tickets on a Kenya Airways flight from Nairobi to Paris I absolutely have to be on to make a connection after a trip. I tried to pay with my credit card, but due to the size of the transaction (over $9,000), the overseas vendor (Kenya Airways) and probably the product purchased (a one-way ticket from Africa to Europe), my credit card company (Citibank) did not immediately approve the transaction. By the time I called Citibank and they lifted the hold on the transaction, the Kenya Airways website had "timed out" (they only give you 30 minutes to complete the transaction).

Kenya Airways sent me an automated email telling me the transaction failed, but apparently my reservations are still being held pending payment. But emails to Kenya Airways have so far gone unanswered. Their US sales office says it can't help because it doesn't sell the class of service I bought (J Class).

Has anyone else dealt with Kenya Airways over something like this?
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Anybody have dealings with Kenya Airways in paying for tickets on the website?
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 08:07 AM

I tried to buy J class Emirates tkts online(not departing U.S.) and could not so called my TA who is handling my Africa trip and had their air dept. book it for us-same price.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 09:28 AM

Ack!

Can you have a travel agent take over your reservation?
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 09:34 PM

As I noted in another thread, I tried a couple of times with different websites to book Kenya Airways tickets, and it got rejected both times.

You may have to just use a regular travel agent to get this done. The agent I used hadn't done this type of booking very often, and she had to jump through a couple of hoops to make it happen.

I bellieve there is a Kenya Airways US office, but from what I understand, they don't take credit cards, which is why I never bothered calling them.

I'd just visit a travel agent and pay whatever booking fee they're charging. It's simply too much hassle otherwise.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice guys. The saga continues.

I went to a travel agent and she said when she tries to book it her computer says that the ticket can't be sold by a US agent. That was at AAA, so I would hope an agency that large would know what they are doing. Nevertheless, I may try another one.

So then I called Kenya Airways' reservation number in Nairobi (this is the phone number that I was told to call in the email I received from Kenya Airways where they told me my transaction had failed). I connected easily to an agent in Nairobi, but he tells me that they don't do credit card transactions over the phone and thus can't help me. He gave me the name and email address of someone at Kenya Airways in what he called "The Online Booking Crisis Department." So I have emailed this guy and hope to hear from him on Monday. The reservationist said my reservation will be held until then.

My oh my I can't believe it is this hard to simply buy an airline ticket.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 09:23 AM

What the AAA agent should have done is "validate" the ticket on NWA as they are also the ticketing agent for KLM in the US. KQ doesn't have a plate/ticketing agreement in the professional CRS systems that US agents use, so they can't issue tickets for KQ. Therefore, they have to use an airline that does and also has an agreement with KQ. It's a bit complicated, but it can easly be done. Now, NW receives the money for the KQ ticket. After you fly NW will pay KQ. Therefore, if you have any issues with your ticket before you fly, you must consult NW since they have the money. Also, most likely it will have to be a paper ticket. NW charges $50.00 for that even though e-tickets are impossible to issue. NW says it's because the entire itinerary is on another airline and no segment is on them. The AAA agent also needs to charge a fee, since this is non-commissionable to them.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Great advice. I would so much love to buy the ticket from NW, as it is in J Class, there is a slim chance that I may cancel it and want a refund, and getting the refund from Kenya Airways might be problematic to say the least.

Thanks so very much for your help. I'll give it a try.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 11:12 AM

Yup. As I mentioned, the American Express travel agent who booked my ticket had to jump through some hoops. She actually put me on hold while she ran off to ask somebody how to book this ticket because the system wouldn't let her do it initially. I believe she did the same thing Safarimama mentioned because I think she did book my ticket through NWA. I also had to pay the $50 paper ticket fee.

Your AAA travel agent may simply not have known how to do this.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Nor does my local American Express travel agent, with whom I just met. In fact, at that office of American Express she told me that they have a policy and will not sell one-way tickets of any kind. (I asked her if this is some international prohibition, and she said no, she couldn't even sell me a one-way ticket from Dallas to Houston.)

She did give me some interesting advice though. Since my reservations are in business class, unrestricted, she said that Kenya Airways may not require payment until we get there. I am going to call Kenya Airways and find out.

Anyway, the saga just keeps getting better. I'm not giving up.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 05:53 PM

Wow, it's like an episode of the Amazing Race. I can see Sevendown running to the Nairobi airport and desperately trying to get on the next flight to Paris before it's too late.
Old Apr 14th, 2007, 09:39 PM

Yes this is true. An unrestricted business class ticket should not have an expiration date, but some do and you never know what they may do to an unticketed internet reservation when they need those seats. You should be OK waiting 'til you get there as long as there is no cut-off date attached to your reservation. If you can find a way to buy it, you would feel better. The reason that TA's don't sell one way tickets originating in Africa, Nigeria especially, is because of the many scams dealing with these transactions and the scammers using stolen credit cards and the agent having to pay the airline when the scammer cashes in the ticket before the scam is discovered. But these are usually all last minute transactions and you're right here. It really helps to know your agent and stick with one you trust. Trust works both ways!
Anyway, there is a KQ office in the US. If you don't have their phone number, here it is: 1 866 536-9224
They have 4 offices in the US and you can email them whichever is the closest to you.
In LA - [email protected]
In Chicago - [email protected]
In Houston - [email protected]
In New York - [email protected]
Sorry, I didn't think of that to begin with! Duh!
Old Apr 15th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks safarimama. But like I said in my first post, the US sales office said they can't help me because my reservation is made in unrestricted J business class, and they supposedly only sell discounted business class seats. Sounds strange to me, so when I spoke to the agent in Nairobi, he gave me direct phone numbers to each of the US sales offices, which I will try tomorrow, (I tried the Houston number yesterday, and it was out of service. The others were apparently not open, as they did not answer.)

I'll keep you all updated as the Amazing Race continues.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Amazing Race -- Episode 4.

Got a response from the Kenya Airways Web Help Desk (aka Online Booking Crisis Dept) in Nairobi, who told me to "kindly visit our local country offices in your respective country with a print out of your booking reference and confirmation to make payments."

My "local country office" is the Kenya Airways office in Houston (I am in Dallas), so I then got hold of them on the phone to ask if I really had to come from Dallas to Houston to buy the ticket, or could it be done over the phone. They told me again that they can't sell me the class I had reserved online and the manager of that office even said she had just returned from training in Nairobi where she was told she can't sell any online-reserved tickets. I sent them a copy of the email from the Help Desk. They thought it was quite strange and agreed to get to the bottom of it all by emailing Nairobi on my behalf.

This morning I received a direct response from Nairobi to Houston's email, telling me that I had only had 48 hours to pay for my ticket booked online, and since that time had expired (a deadline that was never communicated to me when I was booking online or in the emails I received when that booking failed) therefore they can't accept payment. But he suggested that since my reservation was still pending, I should just cancel what I have and then start over with the Houston office. He completely ignored the Houston office's email where they told him that there were no seats left available in the class they can sell.

To top it all off, I get a second email from Nairobi this morning, finally in response to the very first one I sent when my online payment attempt initially failed, saying that I should visit the website and reserve another four seats on the flight (i.e., double book my reservation), pay for my new reservation online this time, then cancel the first reservation -- again not taking into account there are not four more available seats to book.

I responded to both emails from Nairobi, telling them I did not want to cancel my current reservations before I get something else ticketed. I also have another call into Houston, so we will see what happens.

Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:59 PM

Incredible as this may seem, I do believe you. Been down that road before. Did you try the LA office? I've had good luck there.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 06:54 AM

Whatever you do, make sure you confirm your reservation days in advance when you reach Africa. We booked and paid for flights on the internet with Kenya Airways without a problem until we arrived at the airport to use them! They did not have our "names on the list", said that the price charged was incorrect, and asked us to pay more! We ended up getting on board but missed a connecting flight. The manager at Lusaka was totally rude and this airline is completely disorganized.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Original Poster

"Completely disorganized" doesn't even begin to describe them.

Unfortunately, they offer the best option for me, as they are the only carrier flying non-stop between Nairobi and Paris. I know I could connect to Paris through Amsterdam, Zurich or London, but who wants a connection when you can fly non-stop in a business class flat bed seat for the same price (or less) as the connecting flights that have glorified recliners for their business class seats? (OK, BA might have a better seat, but it's still a connection).

Ah, there's the rub. I said: "when you can fly." If they refuse to sell you a ticket you can't fly. Which I guess makes a connecting flight more attractive when that airline will at least sell you a ticket to get on the plane.

Amazing.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 06:06 PM

Now you have me scared. We just bought roundtrip tickets from NBO to KGL so we can trek gorillas. If we don't get on that flight, that will cost $$$$. We get into NBO the night before our flight to Rwanda. Should we confirm then or should we call a couple weeks out (or do both)? Do you think we can pic up our tickets when we get in the evening before since we'll be at the airport? I read some stuff on Kenya Airways after reading this and it doesn't sound good. Should I have gone with Rwanda Air?

Hope it works out for the original poster. I had just bought our international tickets on KLM so when I tried to Kenya Airways next for an internal flight my credit card company--also Citibank--put a freeze on my account for high risk activity so my payment was declined by KA. I called Citibank and straightened it out right away but I still was in the same limbo as you. I, however, was able to cancel my reservation and just do it again. Sorry it is such a hassle for you.
Old Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Well just an update.

Several emails to Kenya Airways have gone unanswered. The person I was dealing with in Houston apparently no longer wants to get involved since she doesn't think she can sell me the tickets, so she doesn't return my calls. Believe me, I am a very patient person and I have not offended anyone. I really think Kenya Airways just doesn't have its act together. All I want to do is pay someone to issue me a ticket on a pending reservation. Something that is done thousands of times a day all over the world.

Meanwhile, my reservation remains pending, although I don't know for how long since it has not been ticketed. I am very tempted to cancel my reservation and then hopefully my seats will become available so that I may grab them again on the website and maybe then the payment will go through. But of course I am also very hesitatnt to do that, as I may fall prey to someone on a waitlist that grabs my seats as soon as I release them.

So I keep trying.
Old Apr 24th, 2007, 08:04 AM

This is some saga-I am so curious to know your final outcome since we may be using KQ in the future. Good luck and hope it all works out for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -