Reload this Page >

Our Tanzania Experience--Trip Report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2002, 09:12 PM
Jane

We had our greatest travel experience ever when we went on a cultural and wildlife safari in Tanzania and I enjoy sharing it with people. If you are interested in some great photos of the Hadza, Maasai and Datoga people and elephants,lions and baboons--as well as a trip report, to to www.janeandken.com and navigate to Tanzania. Hope you enjoy it. (This way I do not need to post a long report on a message boards.)

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 01:51 AM
kavey

Have enjoyed the photos and what I have read of the trip report so far - aim to read the rest later in the week.<BR><BR>Glad you had a good trip and thanks for sharing the report and photos.<BR><BR>Kavey

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 02:24 PM
Debbie

Jane, that was a great report and you had experiences outside of the normal safari which is wonderful. I am debating Tanzania versus Botswana for this year and wanted to know if you ran into a large number of vehicles when doing your game drives. I hear that Ngorongoro Crater is less than a pristine experience. Thanks

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 08:41 PM
jane

Debbie<BR>Yes, Ngorongoro crater does have a lot of vehicles but not so much that you can not enjoy the experience. The opportunity to see so much wildlife at one time in a natural environment is unbeatable. Of course, the Serengeti and Tarangire were more open and so traffic was not as concentrated. But--I would recommend the crater as it is unique. Hope this helps.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Liz Frazier

Jane-<BR>A great big thank you for sharing your wonderful experience here with us. I loved Tanzania and the Serengeti when we were there, but I have heard much about returning 10 years later and the drastic changes. I haven't been to Ndutu, but would love to catch the migration of wildebeests there one year. Your experience with the people just fascinated my husband and I. Especially the Hadza and the bat eared fox. That surely will stay with you for a long time. Your pictures were wonderful. Did you find shooting the animals at a distance with a digital camera less desirable than with a regular 35mm? I have toyed with the idea of a digital camera but would use it primarily for game drives.<BR>Thanks again. I saw your other reports but my interest is just Africa now so I haven't yet read them. Liz

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 05:15 PM
jane

Liz, thanks for the great comments. I am so pleased that you were drawn to the Hadza.You are right, the bat-eared fox and all of it will remain with us forever. I loved using the digital. I have a 6x zoom so was able to get some fairly good shots. I think in the future I will get another lens which will give me even better distance shots. But----I am absolutely sold on digital.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Liz Frazier

Hi Jane-<BR>Thanks for the quick answer but one more thing if I may. Please add a few comments just about Ndutu Safari Lodge. Would a two week stay during the birthing season of the Wildebeests be too long in your opinion? That is what we really want to see. Just a two or three week trip to Ndutu. I've heard once you settle in it seems rather home like and some people stay for extended periods. I would like to also include the Serengeti Serena for a balloon ride during that time. Thanks again. Liz

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Jane

Liz, personally,I think that two weeks at Ndutu would be too long.It is really quite isolated and doesn't have the game drive potential that the other locations have--nor the access to people. I must admit though that I am a complete novice in this and so there may be much more than I think there is.You may want to contact an agency,I whole heartedly recommend Thomson safaris, to see what they would say. I know that Thomson would give you accurate good insights. They only work in Tanzania and are true experts--besides being super ethical.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Deb

Thanks for your report...I'm curious...what type of camera and len(s)did you use? <BR>

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Jane

Deb, I use a Sony digital DSC-S75. I love it. It is particularly nice to be able to do some editing on pictures. I have made unusable pictures beautiful with editing. I am totally sold on digitals.