Search

Safari weather

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Gregg

Safari weather

We are arriving in Tanzania on 10/17 for our first ever safari. Can anyone give us some insight on the weather. Should we pack rain ponchos. Should we pack warm clothes along with lighter clothes. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 06:12 AM
GregP

We just returned from a two week safari in Tanzania this past Sunday. We were there during the end of the dry season, so we did not need any rain clothes, however, they were expecting the rainy season to start at any time so it probably would not be a bad idea to at least take a poncho.<BR>We were on a camping safari, and went to Tarangire, Lake Eyasi, Ngorongoro Crater and Serengeti. It was HOT in the Serengeti, comfortable in Tarangire and Lake Eyasi, and cool (during the day) and cold (during the night) at the Crater. If you are camping, take something warm to sleep in, as it got cool everywhere at night (even in the Serengeti). We each took a light lined jacket and were comfortable. It was also EXTREMELY dusty everywhere we went, so if it does rain, at least you won't have to deal with that.<BR>We had an incredible trip, hope your's is as good.

Old Oct 7th, 2002, 06:26 AM
Susan

We just got back two days ago from Tazania. The crater and Tarangire are very dusty. I would suggest you bring zip-lock baggies for camera/video equipment and lots of Q-Tips to clear your ears!! Coming from New Hampshire, we were comfortable with the night temps, but the previous writer is correct that the rains are expected any time now. Have a wonderful time. I thought Tarangire was an absolute gem of a park. I wish I was back there ...

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 09:08 AM
sg

GregP, we are looking to book a camping safari to East Africa. Can you please tell me more about your camping safari and which company you used. Thanks.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 10:09 AM
GregP

SG..We booked the safari through a company called Borton Overseas out of Minneapolis (www.bortonoverseas.com). They are just a booking agency, the actual ground operator of the safari was Kibo safaris, based in Arusha Tanzania. We can't say enough good things about them...our guide was incredible, the camp staff was wonderful. It is not a "roughing it" camping safari...We had a large walk-in tent with cots with mattresses, hot showers each night and a toilet right behind our tents. Also a nice campfire every night. The food was superb. The staff waited on us hand and foot.<BR>We started out spending two nights in Tarangire, an absolutely incredible park, then went to Lake Eyasi and spent time with the Datoga and Hadzabe tribes, then a couple of nights at the Ngorongoro crater (probably the most beautiful place I have ever seen) and finished up with 4 nights in the Serengeti. We saw absolutely every animal we could have expected to see, including leopards, cheetahs and rhinos.<BR>Kibo's website is www.kibosafaris.com. Check them out and let me know if you have more questions (I should note that there are several travel agencies in the U.S. that use Kibo as their ground operator.<BR>I should also note that the campsites were totally private, and that we had elephants, lions, heyenas and gazelles (that we know of) as vistors in the camps.