Okavango Delta

Old Jun 8th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okavango Delta

Hello all -- I am looking to go to the Okavango late April, early May next year and am looking for lodge/camp recommendations. I am single, and have a medium budget, so I need recommendations that do not include the $1000 plus fees per night. Any suggestions? There are so many lodges/camps that you can get dizzy looking at them and trying to pick one. Are there significant differences between the lodges in the north, middle and south of the Delta?
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM

How long?

Would you consider a mobile safari? Most would include more locations than only the delta, though.

I believe the green season specials from Footsteps in Africa would fit with your budget.
http://www.footsteps-in-africa.com/rack_rates_2009.html

The various camps are described within the site as well.
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 06:34 PM

meerkats,

i agree with lynn about a mobile program.

i think the best program for a single traveler in botswana (on a budget) is the migrations route safari operated by wilderness safaris.

http://www.wilderness-safaris.com/bo.../introduction/

this is a non-participatory (you do not work) camping safari covering all the major ecosystems of northern botswana + victoria falls. there are not many reviews on fodors, but there are plenty of reviews on trip advisor on this exact trip.

i have sent many clients on this exact trip and they love it. the cost for 2009 is $4,075 per person for the ten day trip and it is all inclusive except tips. yes - it includes the alcohol... the price is supposed to be $4,150 for next year. there are a maximum of 8 people on each departure and the first two singles to sign-up do not pay a supplement.

craig beal
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 09:43 AM

You might also check with Bill Given at The Wild Source. He's worked up an interesting Botswana proposal for me next year using a combination of fly camps being set up by Footsteps in Africa, Mapula Camp, etc. I don't know that these fly camps are listed on Footsteps' website. The camps have an "en-suite bathroom" attached, unlike the WS adventurer mobile camps which use detached, shared facilities. Also, you fly between the camps, rather than driving. The guides at those fly camps stay at the camp for the whole season and would be more up to date with what's happening in the area around the camp, more so than a guide arriving with a mobile safari.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 12:11 PM

I'd drop the lodge idea and opt for private camping sites with a private guide and personal vehicle.

You'll be paying about 250USD/night, get to spend much more time in the bush, get to go to places others cannot reach, and you'll still have all the comfort you need (bucket showers, a private loo, great food and a personal service). Plus you'll be much closer to nature.

Ciao,

J.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 06:59 PM

What private guide do you recommend Pixelpower?
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 03:37 AM

Yes, Pixelpower....I never thought of that as an option but it sounds very appealing! Please tell us more!
Old Jun 16th, 2009, 05:32 AM

Very appealing and not just for the money saving aspect.

ShayTay, those are some good pointers on Footsteps attributes in case Liliipets books up the private guide and he's not available when I want to go.

A week or so of Footsteps and a week or so private guide would be a fantastic Botswana combo.