Search

Offbeat Mara and Meru?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Offbeat Mara and Meru?

Hello everyone,

Some of you have already helped me quite a bit with my itinerary, but now all of a sudden, someone is trying to convince me to change my tentative plans to stay at the Offbeat Mara and Offbeat Meru as opposed to my original plans of Serena and Intrepids camps. I have not seen much on here about the Offbeat camps, but they are supposed to be very nice and more authentic? Can anyone give me more details about these camps please? Thank you.
Old Oct 11th, 2006, 08:06 PM
santharamhari

Which camps specifically....there are plenty of options, particularly in the Mara....

Yes, smaller camps generally do give you a much better personal touch. They are more expensive generally....but well worth.

Hari

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Original Poster

The specific names of the camps I am asking about are Offbeat Mara and Offbeat Meru.

My original plans were Mara Serena and Mara Intrepids and Amboseli Serena or Ol Tukai.

Thanks
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 12:59 AM
santharamhari

Wow!!! I learn something new on these boards every day.........let's wait to see if anyone knows more about these establishments.

Hari

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 03:34 AM

Offbeat Meru is located just outside Meru National Park in Bisanadi Reserve. I stayed at Elsa's Kopje inside Meru in September (read my post: Trip Report Part I). I believe Offbeat is a cheaper option but still very nice. I assume when you say Intrepids, you mean Samburu Intrepids. Nice camp, good wildlife, but Meru, I think, is a more authentic wildlife experience -- especially if you are going to go to Maasai Mara where you will see many other vehicles. If you can afford it, go to Elsa's Kopje -- that's a sure thing, but I have heard good things about Offbeat Meru.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 09:24 AM

I think Offbeat is mainly known for their riding safaris. I'm curious if anyone has stayed at their camps as well.

Hari,
Here's the website www.offbeatsafaris.com
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 08:34 PM
santharamhari

Thanks Patty, will chk it out....

Hari

Old Oct 13th, 2006, 04:05 AM
sandi

Yes, horseback riding, but at their Sosian camp/ranch in Laikpia area.

At Meru and the Mara more traditional safari activities - drives, walks, etc.

Camps are traditional canvas tents where Serena is a Lodge and Interpid's is a permanent tent camp on raised platforms. Offbeat camps on the otherhand are also smaller properties.

Old Oct 13th, 2006, 08:57 AM

They do offer mobile riding safaris in the Mara region and elsewhere which I think is how they started out. I looked into it briefly, but their riding safaris were a bit too pricey for me.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 10:37 AM
sandi

Thanks Patty. Wasn't aware at the Mara. But, and unless I'm somewhat confused... is the mobile riding safaris Offbeats own operation or an offshoot of Equisafaris.... the company based in the States doing equi-trips around the world? If I recall, believe CherylC (last January) used Equisafaris for their visit. Maybe, who knows!

Old Oct 13th, 2006, 01:48 PM

Do you mean Equitours? I couldn't find an Equisafaris. If so, my understanding is that they're a booking agent for different equestrian trips around the world, similar to Hidden Trails, but they don't actually operate the safaris. I could be wrong.

I met a gal last month who went on a Botswana riding safari booked through Equitours and they used a local outfitter on the ground (can't recall the name).

I'm not sure if Equitours has any relationship with Offbeat other than agent/ground operator.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Glad I asked this question, sounds like we learned something. Unfortunately it doesn't sound like anybody is too familiar with them though, not really any first hand knowledge. If anyone else hears anything, let me know. Thanks.
Old Oct 14th, 2006, 03:46 AM
sandi

Patty - That's it. Equitours.
Have clients who will be staying at Offbeat Sosian and Mara (amongst a few other non-Offbeat props) in early '07. Their wedding at Sosian and the pre- and post-safari as their honeymoon. If I recall correctly, the future bride, having taken a riding trip elsewhere, met the guy who operates in or suggested Kenya; decided to stay at these props for their special occasion.

Old Jan 20th, 2011, 12:40 PM

In Meru to try to see lions do you have to ride horses?