Search

October Mara Lodge - Serian or Rekero

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2008, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
October Mara Lodge - Serian or Rekero

Hello,

Considering that the herds are still in the Mara during the middle of October, we may have the opportunity to stay at either Serian or Rekero Camp.

Which one would you suggest?

Thanks!!
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 12:09 PM

Hello Leoville,
I’d choose Rekero for the location and because I suspect that the guiding might be better there.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 01:13 PM

we would never stay at serian because alex walker, the owner, is a prof. hunter. and our philosophy is to NOT support any company which is involved in hunting in ANY way. clarification: he doesn't take hunters to kenyan hunting venues but TAZ. the pro-hunting socienty in kenya is extremly strong and tries to lobby the government into pro-hunting legislation. the government still resists these guys but we think it's worthwhile to strengthen other camps and lodges which are into conservation.

div
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 10:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the insightful input! Rekero it is, especially since they are pro conservation.

Thanks!!
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 07:13 AM

My only comment is that the guide we had for our very recent visit to Serian was one of the best guides we've ever had. I don't know on what basis Nyamera might question guiding standards at Serian.

Old Sep 21st, 2008, 08:19 AM

Kavey, I’m not questioning the guiding standards at Serian, but I know that Rekero has a very close relation with Koiyaki Guiding School. And then I remember having read between the lines of a report that a guide at Serian was a very nice guy, but … I’m glad your guide was great and I wouldn’t hesitate for a moment to stay at Serian, but if given a choice, I’d choose Rekero.
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 11:37 AM

Nyamera, that's the very school our Serian guide graduated from. (His name is listed on the school's website exam results for 2007/2007.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 01:56 AM

WOW Devine, That is an extremely ignorant conclusion you have come to.

Are you assuming that Hunting is not pro-conservation. I understand the emotional issue, but you are very mistaken.

Alex is a great guy and Serian gave us the best holiday of our lives. The fly camp was out of this world.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 04:46 AM

jenny,

you are entitled to your opinion.

div
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 06:20 AM

And you are welcome to your opinion.

Hunting and eco-tourism are so interwoven that it is part of the whole picture and conservation is a result of those activities.

Without both there would not be masses of natural habitat in Africa for you to enjoy while you are on holiday.
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 02:52 PM

jenny
there is no, absolutely no, need for you to lecture!
if you prefer to stick with your opinion pls do so.
but pls stop lecturing on a topic which you obviously haven't understood or is based on bias.

div
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 09:36 PM

It doesn't help if you are into selective intake of informaton thus the narrow minded view you have.

Your opinion also doesn't give you the right to take a cheap shot at a great safari lodge and outfit, and a person who you have never met.
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 12:02 PM

jenny
i meet alex every dec in cannes.....i heavily doubt you have my insight information and knowledge on conservation!

but i am not angry about your rant!
every individual has got the chance to learn and enhance knowledge. one sooner - the other later.
but i assure you - you get yours eventually!

div
Old Sep 26th, 2008, 12:03 PM

oops - too quick
in view to the latter i hope ;-)!

div
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 01:41 AM

Divine,
Apparently you are an expert.

I suppose being born in Zimbabwe and currently living in South Africa doesn't help. Especially as my safari experience is only limited to Namibia, Zambia, Malawi, Kenya, Botswana, Mozambique, Swaziland, Angola, Swaziland, Lesotho, .....

I should have spent more time in Europe, and listened to the millions of experts there as to what works in Africa.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 02:09 AM
sniktawk

Jenny SA

Well said this poster is responsible for some of the silliest comments posted on this site. It is probably down to the fact that she is a Travel Agent, and I believe most of us would agree that they know very little and understand even less. She is after all the person who advised everybody that game viewing in Etosha was very poor, need I say more!!!

Old Sep 29th, 2008, 02:10 PM

snit
i would highly appreciate you stop your childish vendetta!

you may well hide behind your alias in order to tell others lies which are based solely on your imagination!

i have already asked you several times not to spread and insist i am a TA AS I AM NOT!

furthermore:
regarding wildlife in etosha (besides all othet game areas) you should know that this is completely depending on water availability and especially after torrential rain animals don't need to visit the waterholes - which was the case when we visited ONCE etosha.

the OP was asking for experiences which i delivered - as you do yours!
it's irresponsible to promise people etosha has got prolific wildlife at any stage and any time!
you are free to mislead people. i play fair and don't!

jenny,
being born in zim and living in SA is by far NOT a reputation in view to conservation!
especially the white settlers are very well known for hunting down irresponsibly. i retire to generalisation as you choose to do so.

regarding your snippy comment in view to europeans:
there are many european conservationists working all over africa who have great expertise. a very well know fact in africa. obviously that fact hasn't reached your cerebral mailbox.
asking others to respect ones (in your case more than questionalbe) opinion solely based on being born in an african country is hilarious.

div
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 05:02 PM

Back on topic. Leoville... If you want to see crossings (assuming the herds are still there, which seems quite likely) Rekero is going to be ideal. From Serian you'd need full day drives with lunch, while from Rekero you can return to camp if things look unpromising and come out again later. It's also convenient for the cheetah cubs and the leopard cubs (if you don't mind company) and not too far from the lion cubs. However, Serian probably has easier access to areas where very few tourists venture.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 09:15 PM

Wow the aggression. Did you maybe contract rabies while you were in Africa.

I resent the racist remark, and request that you have that removed.

I am sure there are better qualified people on this site, and clearly you are not one of them.

Kimburu makes a good point, However we say 3 crossings in 7 days while while we stayed at Serian.

One other positive thing about Serian is the fact that you don't end up sharing a vehicle with any other people. Imagine sharing the vehicle with an opinionated, arrogant, narrow minded idiot for your entire safari.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 10:36 PM
sniktawk

Message for the Divine Pippa

If you are not a TA just who is the Pippa responsible for this

http://www.bushdrums.com/news/index.php?shownews=1068

Also who is the Pippa signing herself Div in this post

http://www.bushdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?id=820

Who is this person a relation by any chance?

http://www.marketconsultkeller.de/in...nguage=english

I think you are trying to decieve us all, and your almost total lack of useful information says it all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -