October 2011 Botswana, Zambia, Cape Town

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are just beginning to plan a possible October trip and the following has been put to us as possible itinerary. No prices yet, as we need to consider itinerary first.

3 nts Duba Plains Camp
2 or 3 nts Little Kwara
3 nts Lagoon Camp
3 nts Lebala Camp
1 nt Zambezi Sun
5 nts Chiawa Camp; or combine with Old Mondoro for 7 nights.

These camps offer combined-nights discounts. I just want some feedback on the camps and locations if you have any knowledge, and if it's not better to skip the 'combos' and go to a different location or stay longer in fewer camps?

The reason for the and /or is we've been presented 2 itineraries based on availability. One begins 11 Oct and the other which begins 21 Oct. Also possible is doing the reverse beginning 23 Oct. I know it will be hot, and we want to be out before the rains really begin.

I left out details like transfers, we'll be flying, etc.

Help?
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 08:25 PM

Bear in mind the rains are unpredictable. In 2009, it started raining in September.

Lagoon/Lebala - good choice to do both!

Little Kwara good for Lions. You may not access Tsum Tsum plains due to the high water levels.
Duba might be very severely restricted by the water levels too .....

Even as late as October, I would not count on water levels dropping ....
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 07:09 AM

Absolutely stay at Old Mondoro - we are booked there for three nights in October 2011, and we anticipate, given all the reviews we have read (we have not been to the camp before) that it will be a highlight of our 7-week trip. CR
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 12:45 PM

I can recommend Chiawa. My husband, sister, brother-in-law, and I spent 4 days there in July 2009.
(On that trip we'd also spent time at Busanga Bush Camp in Kafue National Park and at Kalamu Lagoon Camp in South Luangwa. Thumbs up for those camps, also, especially if you're looking for remoteness.)

We flew to Chiawa from Mfuwe via a private charter which landed us at the Royal airstrip. We were met by one of the camp's safari vehicles for a 30 minute or so drive to a point on the Zambezi where we loaded into one of the camp's motor boats. Next came an exhilarating, hair blowing, 30 minute ride to Chiawa' s dock.

From the time we stepped into the safari vehicle at the airstrip to the time 4 days later when we were returned to the airstrip we experienced wonderful hospitality and gracious hosts.
My husband and I were celebrating our wedding anniversary ... the camp managers, Kayla and Jason, arranged a surprise for us. We returned from our night game drive to find the inside of our tent and our deck bathed in candlelight. There were chilled champagne, hors d'oeuvres, a cake, and a private dinner served on our deck.

On another night all the guests suspected a treat was in store when instead of returning to camp after our night drive we were taken to a dry river bed a few kilometers from the main camp.
There we found a delicious bar-b-que had been set up. As we dined under a full moon we were serenaded by lions.
We also had lunches served on a pontoon boat as we cruised down the Zambezi.

No one will go hungry at Chiawa: wake- up tea or coffee brought to the tent, then breakfast around the campfire, a stop for elevenses during the morning game drive , then lunch, then afternoon tea , sundowners, and finally dinner.

Chiawa's tents all face the river and are well appointed. The tent my husband and I were in had plenty of drawer and closet space.
The bed was comfy and we appreciated the hot water bottles that were tucked between the bottom sheet and the duvet.
Our tent had an indoor shower, a claw -foot tub, and an outdoor shower.
We had a deck furnished with a sofa and chairs...perfect for watching the elephant who liked to munch the winter thorn tree that was next to our outdoor shower.
We were also visited by a pair of mating lions who took up residence in the camp for a couple of nights.
We weren't sure if they were the same pair who sang to us the night of the dinner at the dry river bed.

Chiawa offers a nice selection of activities in addition to the normal daily game drives.
Guests can fish, canoe down some of the Zambezi's chanels, or take a guided bush walk.

Our guides were knowlegable about not only the larger game, but also the birds and insects, the vegetation, and the history of the Lower Zambezi.

Chiawa remains at the top of all the places we've ever stayed during our other trips to Africa.
We'll be on safari this July, too, ( Botswana and South Africa) but we're already thinking about a return trip to Chiawa in 2012.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 05:37 PM

Is your goal in Zambia at the Zambezi Sun to see Victoria Falls? If yes, unless you plan to visit the Devil's Pool (which I highly recommend!), you might want to make sure you get across the border to Zimbabwe because in October the best view of the Falls is from the other side....I also took a very nice sunset cruise on the Zambezi that was very enjoyable.
Old Aug 10th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! We had to postpone until next year, and will be back to you then.