Search

OAT Best of Kenya/Tanzania

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OAT Best of Kenya/Tanzania

We are excited about our upcoming trip to Africa, OAT's The Best of Kenya & Tanzania, pre-trip to the Mara leaving August 17. This morning I emailed OAT inquiring about our group size and the answer was: 16 people traveling on our date! The OAT brochure for this trip states "you'll do it in a small group of only 10-13 travelers, guaranteed!" We have taken 3 previous trips with OAT and were VERY pleased with the accommodations, the itinerary, the trip leaders - everything. We have never had an instance before of the group size exceeding the guarantee. Has anyone had this happen?

Perhaps my "travel counselor' was mistaken about the group size. Will check my email tomorrow to see what she has to say.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had this happen.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 06:20 PM

10, 13, 16 is not so crucial as how many vehicles you are taking and if everyone gets a window seat on every outing. If you are a larger group in a caravan, that's more eyes for spotting. Or you can split up and cover more ground, then alert each other by radio if one vehicle finds something.

I would certainly ask how 10-13 became 16 when there is a guarantee that won't happen. Again, how many in YOUR vehicle is key.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 06:48 PM

Usually, OAT's safaris are limited to 15 because of vehicle sizes (5 in each of 3). However, some of the outfitters have vehicles that seat 7. Even with 13, you'd have 3 vehicles, so don't sweat it. It will be a great trip.

I went to Egypt in March 2002 with OAT. We ended up with about 60 people! They combined 4 trips with departure dates into one trip. We had 4 leaders and 4 buses, but there were a lot of people that were REALLY unhappy! This was the result of 9/11, and all the tour companies were really struggling to get Americans to travel.

The Egyptians were not aware of OAT's advertising of "only 16", and when they found out that people were upset, they started to stagger the bus departures. Even so, they explained that if we weren't with the other OAT groups, it would just be another tour group... didn't bother me.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 07:07 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I agree that the number of vehicles and how many people in each vehicle is the key on safari. But OAT is about as "groupie" as I can stand to be and I'm not happy about the 10 to 13 travelers GUARANTEED turning into 16! What does guaranteed mean, anyway? Well, it most certainly won't ruin the trip and with enough vehicles it shouldn't affect the safari portion at all. But I will be interested to see what OAT has to say about it. Thanks for responding!

And I'm getting so excited my teeth are starting to itch! 24 days!
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 07:24 PM

Please let us know what you find out, Arkay.
Old Jul 23rd, 2007, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Interesting. I just checked OAT's website and they have changed the group maximum to 16 on Best of K/T. However, we made our trip reservations well over a year ago and my latest brochure from OAT dated July 2, 2007 continues to list the max as 13. I probably shouldn't be bent out of shape over 3 -6 more people but a deal is a deal (yeah, right) and I really am not a "groupie" so...
Will keep you posted on the response from OAT. As I said earlier I've been very happy traveling with them in the past and I'm sure this trip will be no different.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 04:42 AM

That does sound odd. I took the same OAT trip last year, and my group had 13.

But the biggest issue pertains to the number of people vs the size of the vehicles -- our group had 2 stretch land rovers in Tanzania (and 2 pop-top minivans in Kenya), which worked fine for that size group.

I have a follow-up question for you to ask them: are they still honoring their guarantee that everyone gets a window seat?

If they are using 3 vehicles instead of 2, then a group of 16 would not be a substantive difference. But if the extra people mean that some people have an 'inside' seat, I would consider that a real problem. So that is something specific to ask.

Also, they should have the exact list of names by now -- ask them to fax it to you, because if the list has 16 names, and your name is among them, they are probably not mistaken about the number!

By the way...while I've enjoyed my OAT trips, you sometimes have to be really really persistent to get useful information from the office.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 06:05 AM

You are not getting bent out of shape. You just want what you paid for. I'd get lawyer-ly on them with the verbage and the date of the brochure. Maybe try to get some compensation back for the change that they seem to have made unilaterally after you booked.

I'm not one to quibble over 3- vs. 4-course meals, or a promised free T-shirt that never materializes, or even a change in equal accommodations that sometimes becomes necessary. But a 23% increase in the size of the group is a material change in the terms of your original agreement, which you did not agree to. To turn you into a happy camper once again, it is reasonable that you may seek some additional consideration (DISCOUNT) from OAT.

If the guarantee on the number of travelers can change, what else can change. Does guarantee mean anything?

Again, if everyone gets a window, it's not such a big deal. You spend most of your quality time in the vehicle and that, in effect, becomes your group, which should be a nice, small group of a half dozen or so.

Even if you had a private trip for two, at the lodges/camps for meals and midday, you'd be with other people and those could easily number 16 or a lot more.

It will be interesting to see what OAT comes back with.

Regardless, your time of travel is excellent and Africa always comes through. Even if the grouping is not what you anticipated, you will have the trip of a lifetime. Others have reported back about all sorts of problems (that likely won't occur with a reputable operator like OAT) that upset their trip and the conclusion was still--best trip of our lives.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Tempest in a teapot!

I climbed out of bed this morning after a fitful night of dreaming about mini-vans crammed with mobs of sharp-elbowed, camera-toting tourists and ran (ready to boil over) upstairs to my computer so I could get online and check my email. Didn't even pour myself a cup of coffee on the way.

There it was! Posted at 8:11 EDT. The email from OAT apologizing for the confusion and stating that there were only 13 on the trip!

It accomplished one thing. Got me to stop lurking on Fodor's Forum and become a poster.( As opposed to an imposter?) I discovered the forum only a few days ago and got addicted to the wonderful travel accounts. Thank you all!
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:02 AM

I'm so glad they responded with the right information this time!

I found my travel mates to be interesting, flexible and obliging, but occasionally even the best of us can become annoying (or annoyed). Here is a 'secret' for what to do if someone else in the vehicle insists on stopping for an excessive length of time to view something you don't find that interesting. After giving them a fair chance to see what they are looking at, when everyone else is getting a bit restless but no one wants to be rude, simply lean over to the driver and murmer:

"Twende, tafadhali"

Mysteriously, the vehicle will start to move again, without a confrontation.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 07:38 AM

Arkay, I'm glad they clarified that for you. I believe they use Pollman's in Kenya and Ranger in Tanzania for this trip (they use Kibo for the "Safari Serengeti&quot. Most vehicles in East Africa don't even have a middle seat, so I don't think that would be an issue, anyway.

I saw a "Best of" OAT group at Lake Burunge Tented Camp. You'll love it! Say "Hi" to Clay the barman for me (from Sharon). He recognized me from when he was the dining tent attendent at a mobile tented camp we were at in 2005...great memory!

I like Ann's suggestion. That phrase means, "Let's go, please." You'll probably be the only one besides the driver that knows that.

Another tip: When you arrive in Nairobi, you'll go through Immigration, then go downstairs into Baggage Claim and get your bags. If you want to exchange for Kenyan shillings, you can do that before you exit Baggage Claim. You won't have anything to declare, I'll bet, so just bypass the guys at the stands by the doors, unless they wave you over. In the past, the drivers and guides would be standing right outside Baggage Claim with signs. Now, because of security concerns, they've been pushed to either end of that lobby. The OAT/Pollman's desk is to your LEFT. I noticed that when waiting for a fellow traveler in June.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the tips!

Ann and ShayTay: how do you pronounce twende tafadhali? Twendee tahfuhdolly? With the accents on tah and doll?
Or do I have it totally wrong? I plan on using it and I'll try to learn a few other words as well.

Ann, I really enjoyed reading the account of your Africa trip. You got some great pics!

Hope to see lots of lions, cheetahs and hopefully at least one leopard. We didn't get to see a single leopard on our FABULOUS Ultimate Africa trip and didn't get to see lions until we got to Linkwasha,our last camp. We did get to watch an amorous lion couple couple.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 10:43 AM

I believe it's pronounced:

"TWENdeh TafathALee"

The accent is always on the second to last syllable, in Swahili.

The 'dh' is prounounced sort of like a soft 'th', as in the word 'this'.

If you want to learn a few words, I recommend In-Flight Swahili (available for $11.86 from Amazon). It's a 1 hour CD, with a little booklet, so you mainly learn by listening, not by sitting down and studying. It's also nice to have a small phrase book to take with you (such as Berlitz, or Lonely planet).

But don't worry, you don't actually 'need' to know any Swahili at all. Your trip leader and driver/guides will certainly speak English, as will the front desk people and shop-keepers at the lodges and camps.

I simply found that it was fun to try, and I always enjoy being able to be a little bit polite in the local language, and learning to say please and thank you.

I know there are a bunch of threads about what to pack, and I know you've travelled before, but I have a couple of hints for you, in spite of what the OAT packing list says:

--Polo shirts take too long to dry, and you are better off with a lighter material.
--You definitely don't need a skirt, unless you simply enjoy wearing them.
--A tiny flashlight is really handy -- keychain size. Most of the lodges supply flashlights, but its most useful to have a teeny-tiny one that you clip to your daybag or belt loop, so you don't need to remember it, and its always handy.
--If you drink decaf tea, bring your own.

Have a wonderful trip, and write us a trip report when you come back.

p.s. The day we finally saw the leopard, was right after I learned how to say it in Swahili...
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 11:33 AM

See how it all worked out and you are no longer an imposter.
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Chui! Chui! Chui!

I hope that works.

I have a little light, (last used to find a passenger's earring under the seat of an Air India flight) a little plastic calculator, a little plastic clock and a pen on a retractable cable clipped to my Healthy Back Bag. $1.00 each at the local imported junk store. I also love my LED headlamp which I never travel without. Great for reading when you're camping or in dimly-lit hotel rooms.

Yes, I do have cotton knit shirts but also a couple of khaki nylon shirts. Skirts? I have a few hanging in the closet that have never seen the light of day.

I will order In-flight Swahili. Asante!

Atravelynn...yes it all worked out !
Old Jul 24th, 2007, 09:57 PM

Hi, Arkay--
Glad that you're feeling ok now about the numbers.
You mention something about your FABULOUS Ultimate Africa trip. Would that be OAT's Ultimate Africa? If so, I'm glad to hear that you thought it was fabulous. We're taking that trip mid-September. We were with a different operator 2 years ago when we were in Kenya and Tanzania. And we considered THAT to be a fabulous trip. Lots of lions and cheetahs, for sure, and so, so much more. Enjoy.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Yes, it was OAT's Ultimate - literally. You will LOVE it!

We went May/June 2005 and had perfect weather. Chilly in the morning and just hot enough to feel hot at midday. Sunny skies and only one midday sprinkle.

Loved all of the camps. They are small and your OAT group will be the only guests in camp. We did not get to stay at Wilderness Tented Camp. We were scheduled to be the first guests in camp but they were having problems with the generators so at the very last minute and with lots of scrambling by the ground operator we were flown to Chitabe Camp for 1 night and then to Savute Camp for 2 nights. Chitabe was really attractive and Savute was luxurious with monster sized rooms, decks and baths with a dining area overlooking a waterhole. The camp accommodated 20 or so guests and it was the only camp we shared with anyone. Food was excellent. It did not feel as "African" as our other camps. Perhaps a little too slick.

Baoba, Lianashulu and Linkwasha were all wonderful in different ways.

One of the highlights of our trip was the herd of elephants that splashed into the water in front of our boat impeding our progress on the Kwando River from the airstrip to Lianshulu. Our boat rocked gently in the water as we were surrounded by trumpeting, cavorting elephants.

I found the number of animals astounding. The only thing that I didn't see that I wanted to see was a leopard. Hopefully we will sight a chui in Kenya or Tanzania. If not, I'll just have to take another trip to Africa.

The one disappointmet - we did not have an opportunity for a mokoro excursion. Perhaps you will be able to do that at Wilderness Tented Camp.

Have a wonderful trip and drink a sundowner for me.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

One more thing.

I am not looking forward to the herds of mini-vans in East Africa.

With the exception of one day early in our safari and the 2 days at Savute Camp we never saw another vehicle. We had 2 big, roomy ,open landrovers for our group of 13 and we usually took different circuits so we seldom even saw each other.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 11:15 AM

So nice to hear this positive feedback on Ultimate Africa. Here's to wonderful experiences for all of us in our upcoming safaris.
Happy travels,
Barbara
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Just received the tour member list from OAT.

We are not 16.
We are not 13.
We are 11.

Nice. 5/6 per vehicle rather than 6/7.

I am beside myself with excitement. 3 weeks from today!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -