Old Feb 16th, 2006, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nyamera, can you cook?

Because if you can I think I've found a way for you to return to East Africa:

http://www.basecampexplorer.com/masaimara/89808/en
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 05:16 AM

oh boy; I can do beans on toast and boil and egg: think I'll pass the interview?

Matt
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 12:28 PM

Leely,

Thanks for keeping your eyes peeled for incredible opportunities! Now I have to figure out how to fake being a cook. I do have one or two nice recipes. The worst problem is that I stayed at Basecamp in 2003 and became unpopular because I was – and am – a vegetarian. I’ve read about an even more incredible opportunity for a foreigner at Basecamp: a very young woman has got apparently PAID employment teaching Maasai women how to make beadwork that appeal to Western buyers. I don’t think it could have been impossible to find a designer in Nairobi. If I start complaining about this I’ll sound very jealous – which I’m not at all.

I found out about the designer job at a website where people write travel diaries. I’ve also found another very young woman who has been working as a safari guide in Kenya for a company that do package tours all over the word. When I read that she had given her resignation I wrote to the tour company (Solresor) explaining why they had to employ me. I got a standard reply saying that, if they find my application interesting, they will contact me before three weeks have passed. They do group safaris in a couple of minibuses travelling together and the girl who has been doing the job drop one group off at 6 PM and then pick another one up at the airport at 5 AM – it doesn’t exactly sound like the perfect safari, but it’s definitely better than any job I’ve ever had. Three weeks will have passed on Monday and reading their website I’ve understood that they want employees that are younger than I am. I suspect they’ll hire someone who has worked as a guide on Majorca and then they’ll give that person an introduction with information about how to distinguish an elephant from a giraffe.

Asante tena

(tena means “again”)

Old Feb 17th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

I cannot believe someone gets paid to teach Maasai women how to do beadwork.

Strange world we live in! Perhaps you can get a job teaching lions how to hunt for impalas.

Karibu.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 01:04 PM

I could teach topis how to stand on mounds!
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Yes, yes, all these skills should go on your c.v.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 03:57 PM

I met that very young woman who gets paid to teach Masai women to make "fashionable" beaded accessories when I visited Basecamp
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Patty, were the fashionable accessories very different from the normal Maasai accessories?

And sorry, Matt from England, I don't think beans on toast will work at Basecamp. Plus, my project is getting Nyamera back to East Africa--I believe you already have a trip in the works.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 11:23 AM

Not really that I could tell.

In Nairobi there are some shops that carry "fashionable" beaded items in muted earth tones and such, but the ones at Basecamp didn't look that different from normal Masai accessories. I think they need a new designer
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 01:54 PM

I had decided to ignore this thread to prevent it from becoming totally pathetic, but what’s impossible is impossible. I actually like Basecamp and believe that they are serious with the plans to leave the camp to be run exclusively by the local Maasai. This very very young woman had just started her job at the arts and crafts centre this autumn and is also doing the marketing, sales and bookkeeping etc. BUT there are very skilled and mature people who would PAY for the opportunity to stay at Basecamp teaching the Maasai women these skills. In the travel diary I’ve read I’ve discovered between the lines that she is probably romantically involved with the manager at Ilkeliani and he’s taking her flying in his plane, even leaving the control sticks to her. Now I must stop!

Leely, you’re becoming my favourite person in the world.

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

I *wish* I had a job where all I did was help people realize their dreams--especially if their dreams involved going to East Africa!

(And here I'm supposed to be working right now to fill my own coffers so I can go.)

Another thought, Nyamera. You are a very charming writer and multilingual. Perhaps a book deal is in your future since you shot down my make-a-travel-doc idea??? I bet you have quite a few stories to tell.

Pretty juicy gossip about the very very young designer/sweetheart. Why did nothing like that happen to me when I was young?
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 02:36 PM

And here I thought the camp manager at the time of my stay at Ilkeliani was courting one of the hyaena researchers! He sure gets around

I should stop adding gasoline to the fire (I don't even know if we're talking about the same person).
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 03:25 PM

Patty, I was reading between the lines and perhaps I saw things that weren’t there. Anyway, everybody is courting the hyena researchers. My driver wasn’t in a hurry to be at the gate at 6.30 PM and didn’t mind being told off by the rangers. He preferred to wait for the hyena researchers that were allowed to drive in the reserve at night. I’m talking about a young Indian Kenyan man.

Leely, I’m thinking about writing about the Air France crew whose bus Jan has a picture of, connecting the story with the expulsion of the Liangulos. Before that I was thinking about writing about a group of friends that go to Lamu after a safari and there one of them gets murdered. But then I would have to return to Lamu first – you can’t use Google to find out how the Lamu police do their work. I still haven’t finished the uncensored Spanish version of my trip report though. If someone that knows how to write steals my ideas I don’t know what I’ll do.

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 03:39 PM

Hello,

At the rate things are going, a good chunk of the population of this board is going to end up moving to Africa! Wouldn't that be brilliant?

Good luck, Nyamera.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Nyamera,

I vote for idea #2; murder sells!

I don't think the world is ready for your uncensored report...
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 04:38 PM

I think we're talking about the same person!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Patty/Nyamera,

Well, well. I guess now I know why eveyone says the Mara is "where the action is."

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:03 PM

Wow! I was going to chime in with - I can cook!

But this thread is quite hot and juicy all on its own! Glad I checked in! I'll keep my ears and eyes open for any simliar dramas in Zambia!
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 05:29 AM

Julian,
Asante sana. Yes, brilliant would be the word.

Leely,
I could easily fit in some gory deaths in # 1.
The reason I shot down your make-a-travel-doc idea was that I needed a young woman with an impressive command of Swahili. A mirror and an umbrella are definitely part of my equipment, but I only know some Swahili grammar – very few words – and I feel very old compared to “you know who”.

Patty,
I’ve never even met this, probably very innocent, boy. I’m so happy he has an interesting life and doesn’t need to visit Fodor’s.

Cooncat,
I’m looking forward to reading about the Zambian dramas.
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 06:41 AM

Jambo everyone.
Talking of the Masai ladies and their bead work, does anyone know the name of the plant they use to make the thread for thier beads? I saw one growing at olonana in june 2007 and our game driver showed us how the ladies make thread from this plant. I would like to buy one if possible but I cannot remember the name of it. Please please help if you can, as i cannot find it anywhere on the internet. I have spent hours on it pulling my hair out in frustration. Perhaps I should use that....! Seriously if you know the name please let me know. Asante Sana
Chris Owen
[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -