Non Marlaia Africa or Brazil?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2017, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to plan a trip between January and March for 9-14 days to to either Brazil or Africa, two continents we haven't been to yet. Would love to do a Safari (lions), African culture and beaches/scenery. OR Brazil's beaches,scenery and Rio. Concerns in Africa is malaria(might be pregnant) and Brazil the lack of easy transportation and safety. Our third option is a cruise to Signapore/Thailand and Cambodia, but we've been to Thailand before. Would like to keep airfare and hotels for two to $5-6000. Suggestions please !!!
Old Sep 9th, 2017, 09:47 AM

Large portions of South Africa and Botswana are not in the malarial zone. You could try a few days in Cape Town and the surrounding areas and then go to a reserve in either country. Note that Kruger NP and the adjacent Sabi Sand reserve are both in a malarial zone.

As for Brazil, Rio and the coast of Brazil going south are all malaria free, as is Iguazu Falls, which is well worth a visit if you wind up in that part of the world.
Old Sep 14th, 2017, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. Any ideas how to navigate Brazil's cities and beaches safely?
Old Sep 14th, 2017, 09:14 AM

I would advise the same precautions anywhere you go, whether at home or abroad.
- Know your surroundings. Get local advice on which areas to go and which areas to avoid.
- Carry minimal amounts of cash where it is easily accessible. Invest in a hidden pocket or money belt for credit cards and additional cash.
- Lock your passport in your hotel room safe and carry only a photocopy unless you need the original for some reason.
- Leave expensive items and anything you don't want to lose at home.
- Carry a small pocket camera or phone rather than have a massive one that is visible to all.
- Don't walk alone in the dark and / or if you are unfamiliar with your surroundings. Have your hotel, restaurant, or a shop call a taxi for you. Avoid hailing one unless you know it's legitimate and anything that is not properly marked.
- If you are unfortunate enough to encounter trouble, give up what the person is seeking and get to safety first.

I spent a week in Rio and 3 nights in São Paulo a few years back and enjoyed it very much.
Old Sep 14th, 2017, 06:00 PM

That's high season for Zika in Brazil. Yellow Fever is endemic to Iguassu Falls. Malaria is not the only infectious disease to be concerned about....

Lots of malaria free areas in S Africa. Cape Town, Garden Route, Madikwe and Eastern Cape for safari, the Waterberg for fun, game reserves and beauty, Johannesburg and most of the country is malaria free.

I can easily do a trip to S Africa for up to 3 weeks for under $5000 from JFK. I do it often. Great guest houses, affordable game reserves, excellent national parks, great food!! Surprisingly good tourism infrastructure.
Old Sep 16th, 2017, 05:29 AM

"Any ideas how to navigate Brazil's cities and beaches safely?"

Yeah, use a little common sense, that's all.
tripplanner001's tips are all good.
Forget all the scare stories you've read from heedless, stupid or drunk tourists who put themselves into risky situations and then complain.

I've been traveling all over Brazil regularly for 2 decades+ as a solo female who does not look Brazilian and have never come close to having a problem of any kind with health or safety.
Old Sep 16th, 2017, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again. So we are leaning toward South Africa in january or march. Preferably low Malaria zone-safari, beach and good food. 1) is a Jan or Mary more preferable? 2)Is it possible to do the trip in $3000 (exclude airfare and food)for 7-10 days, hotel(nice 3 or 4star)/ safari and transportation for two? From what I'm reading,costs seem to start at 2500$ pp and up.
Old Sep 16th, 2017, 09:23 PM

I don't know where you saw "costs start at". That's like asking how long is a piece of string. Where? What? How?

I'd go in March. January will be very hot.

You can do 3 nights Cape Town then fly to Durban. Head to the beaches in Balito, Umhlanga or Zimbali for 3 nights. Then a safari destination for 3 nights like Manyoni Reserve to Mavela, Leopard Mountain or Rhino River Lodge. If you skip Cape Town, you can spend a few days in the cooler mountains or staying in the very fun town of St Lucia (both malaria free) instead.

If you drive yourself between destinations, it's very inexpensive. The places I mention are all a short distance off the N2 highway and very easy to reach. The safari lodges I mention are affordable and include game drives and meals. There are excellent guest houses and condos to rent all over the area. See www.safarinow.co.za for options of accommodations. We spend a lot of time in the area and love it!

Here's the 2017 malaria risk map. S Africa is doing a great job reducing the risk of malaria! All major cities are malaria free and the area around Durban, KwaZulu Natal, is low risk.

https://www.santhnet.co.za/index.php...rica-2017.html