Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

No MORE AFRICA - besides Egypt and Morocco?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2010, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What the heck is going on? So few threads on real Africa?

You Americans are going to be on duty to fill in the space the Europeans are going to leave unbooked.....based on the funny money (€) devaluation

HAPPY TRAVELS!

SV
Old May 15th, 2010, 01:45 PM

... what goes around comes around! Better for us heading to Europe for holiday, but our exports go into the toilet!
Old May 15th, 2010, 03:49 PM

A noticeable paucity, I agree.

Of Sub-Saharan Africa threads, not of exports or toilets.
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:11 AM

Don't forget Jordan!!!

Here's still hoping that Katie and the editors can make Middle East a seperate forum one day.
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:52 AM

Does seem to be shriveling up here, the safari thing. Wonder if the camps are feeling it also? Probably not.

And while the Euro may be taking some hit now, my disposable income took a -much bigger- hit with the market crash about 1-2 years ago.

I think a separate forum would help. But I can't help wonder if perhaps other travel site forums are more active? Can anyone make a comparison/feel for that?

regards - tom
Old May 16th, 2010, 05:29 AM

We go thru these cycles regularly... more of one area than the other. Eventually it reverts to being more of the safari destinations. No big deal!
Old May 16th, 2010, 06:02 AM

Like your disposable income, Tom, the income for many of us is also on the downward slope. The few travel sites I visit also seem to be waning rather than escalating at the moment. I would think anything luxury is suffering right now.

But those little pick-me-ups like chocolate and lipstick do well during these times. I'm not advocating lipstick takes the place of a safari, especially for the gentlemen.

Finding the safari threads on this forum is like looking for spoor--it takes some effort now.

Or maybe it's not the economy, stupid, and people still have not adjusted to the transparent peach background strip behind the post topics.

We can all meet up and discuss this predicament at a Jordan based GTG.
Old May 16th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

We are planning an East Africa safari for Oct 2010....as we have some US$ in an account - THX GOD! South Africa e.g. is becoming a NO GO as the ZAR went up almost 40% compared to Jan 2009 plus the usual 15-20% rate increase makes it roughly 60% more expensive. Some camp rates seem so rocketing as one would BUY the camp ;-)

SV
Old May 16th, 2010, 07:42 AM

But maybe for those of us who ARE going on an African safari right now, we'll have fewer vehicles maneuvering to see animals, or camps not completely full, who knows? I'm getting ready for my first trip to Tanzania in just 3 weeks. We did get an upgraded vehicle for our private safari, which I'm sure means customers paying for a higher priced trip weren't there to use it. Ok by me!
Old May 16th, 2010, 09:33 AM

We visited Egypt in March and after previous trips to Tanzania and Botswana we made a hugh decision,(for me anyway) to put any further safari trips on hold indefinitely. We decided instead to buy a fifth wheel and truck and spend our holidays touring around Western Canada and the US.
Old May 16th, 2010, 12:02 PM

Raelond, My Scout,

Perfect timing. I could use your scouting skills once again and now you even have a new truck and 5 wheels with which to scout. Just today I was asking somebody on another forum about the snake pits in Narcisse, Manitoba. Apparently now is a good time to go see them slither out. So could you cruise on over there and check it out? Then go back in Oct to compare what it's like when they head back in their holes for hibernation.

As always, thanks for your help!

But I hope you'll return to Africa travel again some day.
Old May 16th, 2010, 09:12 PM

Geez Lynn, you really have done your research well on where ALL the critters in the world are - that's awesome! I lived in rural Manitoba for 12 years & not only did I not know there were snake pits in Narcisse, I haven't even heard of Narcisse! I'll check this out for you next time I'm visiting my mom in rural Manitoba though...

And Raelond, you'll have to drop around with that RV someday - that's cool! Jim and I have done quite a bit of (part-time) RV'ing with my parents - we love it! Somewhere I have some coupons for a few free nights at a campground in Rosedale if you are interested - no time expiry on them as far as I remember, but it is a 'membership' kind of camp ground so I bet you have to take a tour with the manager in return for the free nights. It's a nice camp though, when my parents come to town with the RV, we go there to get away for a few days.

Can't wait to see your pictures of Egypt at our Africa GTG in August - almost time to set a date for that - let me know when you aren't here & I'll make sure to work around that!
Old May 17th, 2010, 05:16 AM

Hi Fodorites,
Since you seem so bored, I thought I’d make a guest appearance with a link to my latest safari report that you could read <b>discreetly</b>. You are more than welcome to share the link with anyone that’s bored. http://termitemoundview.blogspot.com...t-thomson.html
Old May 17th, 2010, 03:43 PM

You won't be bored reading this, guarantee it!
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:30 AM

First of all, with regard to the OP... "real Africa"??? Hmm. Who gets to decide what part of a continent is "real?"

Also, I would go to a GTG in Jordan. I'd love to go there someday.

I agree that Lynn seems to have found every interesting wildlife hotspot on the planet, and is gradually visiting them all. Lynn, you are my personal travel hero!

Finally, Nyamera, nice to see your name again. I already tracked down your report a while back and was definitely not bored.
Old May 18th, 2010, 01:23 PM

Nice to see you, MDK! Lovely weather today ...
Old May 18th, 2010, 04:49 PM

Lynn, snakes are really not my thing, but if I find myself in Manitoba I will check them out.

Lynda, early or late August would work for us. We had such a great time last year!
Old May 18th, 2010, 06:10 PM

I think travel is down in all sectors of the world.

A friend e-mailed me from Nairobi and said things were "slow"

Another tour guide friend of mind from Copenhagen and Stockholm both said the Baltic Cruise is not as busy as it was 2 years ago.

Same thing for Central America ( Cost Rica , Panama )

When I was at the Serengeti Serena Lodge last August it was half full !!!

It must be the recession is slowly dragging on, many jobs have been lost, the stock market hit everyone that was invested ...like Tom mentioned.

You can tell also that the posting on the various forums is down, less people posting and asking questions.

Only sandi seems to still have money , she is going to Afree- Kah !!
Old May 18th, 2010, 11:37 PM

Tourism is indeed quite slow all over the world and it doesn't look like it's going to change overnight given the current global economical situation.

I wouldn't be surprised to read that several safari companies will offer more free nights in 2011 due to the great success of this action in previous years.

Also more camps will be closed down for "renovation" or "training of staff" during certain parts of year.