Nile River Cruise with kids under 10?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2023, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 40th birthday is coming up, and I'd like to do something special. My kids are 5 and 8, but will likely be 6 and 9 when the trip is scheduled. I've watched a few youtube videos about Nile river cruises and fell in love with the idea. My kids are pretty resilient and they're adventurous eaters. I don't think a guide and ruins would hold their attention all day, but I do think they would enjoy say 2-4 hours of touring at a time. Honestly I think they would do better than a teen, and I think they'd handle it physically better than a senior. I contacted a few companies and they had age minimums. A&K, my first choice, had a minimum age of 10. A few others had suggested ages, many of which recommended not bringing children between the ages of 4-7.

Has anyone done the Nile with kids my age? How did it go and what would you recommend? Doable, crazy, wait a couple years?

I've been looking at larger boats as well as Dahabiyahs. I could probably put together a group of 11 people, in 5 rooms. I don't think that'd be enough for a private boat, but maybe I'm closer than I realize.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Old Jun 22nd, 2023, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Bonvivantva
My 40th birthday is coming up, and I'd like to do something special. My kids are 5 and 8, but will likely be 6 and 9 when the trip is scheduled. I've watched a few youtube videos about Nile river cruises and fell in love with the idea. My kids are pretty resilient and they're adventurous eaters. I don't think a guide and ruins would hold their attention all day, but I do think they would enjoy say 2-4 hours of touring at a time. Honestly I think they would do better than a teen, and I think they'd handle it physically better than a senior. I contacted a few companies and they had age minimums. A&K, my first choice, had a minimum age of 10. A few others had suggested ages, many of which recommended not bringing children between the ages of 4-7.

Has anyone done the Nile with kids my age? How did it go and what would you recommend? Doable, crazy, wait a couple years?

I've been looking at larger boats as well as Dahabiyahs. I could probably put together a group of 11 people, in 5 rooms. I don't think that'd be enough for a private boat, but maybe I'm closer than I realize.

Thanks in advance for the advice!
Sounds like a great idea.
I wouldn't wait unless you're not so sure about their intentions.
I've had a family tour with my kids at the same age (more or less) and in general it went good but we had to compromise many times.
I do not regret it for a minute.
Old Jun 23rd, 2023, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by razmillr
Sounds like a great idea.
I wouldn't wait unless you're not so sure about their intentions.
I've had a family tour with my kids at the same age (more or less) and in general it went good but we had to compromise many times.
I do not regret it for a minute.
Thanks for the reply. I found a few tour operators that don't have age restrictions, so I'm trying to work out the details. I'll try to update this thread if we move forward.