Nice gift for those who have everything

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you have just gotten back from safari and have their pictures on KodakGallery I just wanted you to know of a great gift idea for those who have everything.

I just ordered three separate calendars with pictures loaded on Kodak Gallery of my trips. They are super! It is a nice way of sharing your trip with others you care about.

Jan
Old Sep 25th, 2005, 11:04 AM
bat

Hi Jan:
That is a good idea--it was something you could order directly from Kodak Gallery?
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 02:17 AM
Original Poster

bat:

Yes, it is very easy if you already have your trip pictures loaded on Kodak Gallery.com. Just go to SHOP, select calendars and then pick what pictures you want on the calendar from your uploaded albums.

They cost $19.99 each. Kodak does a really nice job with them. They are delivered to your mailbox in a week to ten days.

I have shown mine to people I work with and they are all impressed, not only with the pictures, but with the quality of the calendars.

Jan
Old Sep 26th, 2005, 09:54 AM
bat

Great. Thanks.
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 12:31 AM

I wouldn't say I'm one of those folks that have everything but given that I'm not into clothes, shoes, jewellery, cars etc and I do buy the things I want when I want them, generally... it can be hard to get me a present!

I always keep my Amazon wishlist updated with lots of wonderful coffee table photo and info books, most of them about Africa! I updated it last week for my upcoming b-day (wishful thinking?!!! ) so if anyone wants ideas for gifts for yourself/ your Africa-loving partner/friend let me know and I'll copy the list over here. Or just look my name (Kavita Favelle) up on Amazon.co.uk and then you can select a book and easily add it to your own wishlist - I find wishlists an easy way to remember books I want to buy at some point!
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Nice try, Kavey

Hope you have a great birthday filled with lots of >< \/ and of course, many !

Someone find me a cure for smiley addiction
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:29 PM

No no not wishful thinking for anyone here to buy me stuff, I mean wishful thinking to imagine any of my family or close friends will actually buy me something from my wishlist instead of the usual things that I have absolutely no interest in such as a really ugly flower vase or a book that I have no interest in or a cushion that doesn't go with any of the colours in any room in the house!!!
I know it's the thought that counts but you'd think that having a wishlist set up for them would make it easier to translate that thought into a present that counts too!

I figured mentioning the wishlist here would be the easiest way for you to be able to view a huge long long long list of really interesting books, since so many of them are about Africa.
He he he!
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:47 PM

I was only kidding! I knew that wasn't what you meant
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:53 PM

Thank goodness, I was mortified for a moment there, before I realised you were probably teasing me!!!

Actually, I am kind of weird about presents. I love receiving them from Pete and from my sister but from most of my friends I would rather just receive either a card and kiss or a donation to a charity of my choice. Neither suggestion goes down too well, for some reason.

I just hate the idea of people wasting their money on something I don't like/ want/ need just to let me know they value my friendship when they can tell me that in other ways!

And also I get a much bigger buzz out of choosing and giving the right present to someone myself than in getting them. I'm not selfless BY ANY STRETCH OF THE IMAGINATION but this is just the case for me.

Still, I do enjoy cards and kisses and going out for meals to celebrate, even though being older is hardly exciting, let's face it!

And I know that I'll be getting at least one book off my list since my sister and I agreed to buy each other coffee table books about Africa this year. (Her birthday is same day as mine but three years later).
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 01:53 PM

If all the regulars on this board bought you just one book each...it wouldn't even put a dent in your wish list!!
Dennis
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 02:34 PM

Kavey,
Whew! I'm glad we got that cleared up. I was worried that I'd gotten myself into trouble on yet another message board

Last week I was joking with someone on the Tripadvisor board - well, I THOUGHT I was joking with him but apparently the WITH part was missing as he didn't take it well at all. And I fear I may have only made things worse this morning by accusing him of having no sense of humor whatsoever

BTW I totally agree with you about the presents. I'd rather receive a simple 'happy birthday' than a present I'd never use.

Dennis,
Is her wishlist really that long? I have to go look
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 02:40 PM

Holy @#$%!
Old Sep 27th, 2005, 02:48 PM

Jan,
Sorry to have hijacked your thread. I think the calendars are a wonderful idea. As a matter of fact, I made some personalized calendars for family members last Christmas using photos from various family trips and gatherings over the years. They all loved them so much that this year I have orders! I made them myself as the idea came to me on Dec 23rd, so I spent two days frantically printing out calendars. Of course, the first set accidently came out with 31 days in April
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 01:05 AM

Matnik, ha ha ha!! Yeah, I love books so the wishlist is always long!!! Seriously, there are some books on there that I found out about only through magazine reviews or saw them in some little bookshop but didn't have money at the time... some gems I think!

I was looking at calendars too, sorry, I did mean to mention it not completely threadjack as I did!

In my opinion they are quite expensive for an item that has a limited shelf life but I really like the idea of the photo books that so many sites offer.

I've been looking at the details on these a lot as I did the photography for a friend's wedding on the weekend and want to get it printed digitally as I'll create pages myself with montages of photos on each. The costs are quite variable but here are the costs I found:

I'm intrigued by pixbook.co.uk - prices seem reasonable - an A4 leather-bound album containing 40 double sided sheets (80 pages) is just over £40 (GBP) plus minimal postage.

viovio.com offer really nice looking softback books and their prices are also excellent - their largest book size (8.5x11) costs $30 (US?) for a book of 100 pages. I can't work out how much postage is to the UK or even where they are based. They are also a tiny, start-up so it's hard to know how good their quality is and how well they will deal with any problems or issues that arise.

Truprint.co.uk offer photo books too - the cost would be just over £30 (GBP) for a 40 sheet book - I haven't yet worked out what size their books are - rather crucial!

Bagsoflove.co.uk are a little more expensive - a hardback book containing 40 images (which i assume means 20 sheets/ 40 pages) costs £95 (GBP). But that price seems to include all the page layout services which I wouldn't need so I may be able to negotiate a lower rate, I don't know.

Glorious books seems to offer a very polished and professional service and product but their prices (which were a pain to download and which I seem to have lost and am unable to download again) were very high so not really feasible.

Buzznet.com offer similar books (from what I can tell) to viovio - perfect bound softback books - if I understand pricing correctly it's going to cost around $20-25 US for around 40 pages (20 double sided sheets). I don't know what postage to the UK would be.

Mypublisher.com are well known and well established. Their Classic Hardcover albums looks great. Depending on cover they are £30/$40 US for 20 pages and a whopping extra $30 for another 20 pages! They are sized at 12-inches wide and 9-inches high. Shipping is at least $13+ for the 20 page book, probably more for a thicker book.

Totalpix.co.uk are UK based and do offer large size books. They don't seem to offer much leeway on cover pictures/ text/ colour. A 50 page book that is 30cm x 30cm costs £50 (GBP). I can't find shipping costs.

Photoworks.com offer quite a range of books. Their Standard range includes a 9" x 10.25" sized hardback option with linen cover and window through which one of my photos would show. Pricing is $29.95 for 20 pages. I can have up to 50 pages max and that many pages would cost $90.

Lastly, shutterfly.com are pretty well known. Their hardcover 8.75 × 11.25 book is $30 (UUS) for 20 pages and would be another $20 for an additional 20 pages.
Old Sep 28th, 2005, 04:09 AM

Re - photo calendars

We live overseas and I have often used these as Xmas gifts for the Grandmothers. I use photos from the past year and try to match events to months (more or less) - everything from family trips to school events. They have been a big hit. 2 years ago I didn't order them until Dec 21 and they arrived on the 24th!!!!

My aunt did a similar calendar for all her children using old photos of the kids when they were small (all black and white). It was quite stunning.