Search

New President in Egypt

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New President in Egypt

Don't know how many of you are following Egyptian politics these days, but some interesting things have been going on and they all seem as if they will be good for tourists and foreigners.
Last Thursday the Judicial Court made an announcement that disbanded the Egyptian Parliament. The main impact on us is that the majority of members that were from the Muslim Brotherhood have lost their jobs with the Parliament (as did all the others), but this means that there is little to no chance of having both a President from the Muslim Brotherhood AND a Parliament that has a majority of MB members that could support each other with no questions asked, and do what they liked ....which we feared would impact tourism greatly.
Today and tomorrow the country will elect their first President since the 25 January Revolution. We have a choice of a man that represents the Muslim Brotherhood and another that worked with/for Mubarak in the past.
Either way security should return in full force to Egypt and safety (or perceived safety by those thinking to come for a visit) should be back as before - God Willing.

Keep following this thread and I'll try to keep you informed of the progress as we know it.
AND - keep your fingers crossed !
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sounds like a pretty depressing choice. I understand there's a call from the democracy activists to boycott the election?
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

thursdaysd - you are right - Democratically speaking, they are the two worst choices a liberal nation would want to choose from. The discussions could go on and on about how and why that happened, and the discussions do go on and on and get heated - but the good news is (for the time being anyway) people are allowed and free to have these discussions. We hope that won't change...but that is another discussion called "The Emergency Law"

Anyway, it's a work in progress and it is progressing nicely for tourists - I think we should have something that can be viewed as stable soon and this will hopefully give tourists the confidence to choose Egypt again.

What you heard about the boycott was true. There was a minority that planned to go X both boxes or some such action to make their ballot invalid, but those I've spoken to that felt that way, changed their minds since Thursdays announcement. That doesn't mean all of them decided this- but I think a majority (and I could be wrong) believe the disbanding of the Parliament was the best thing that could have happened. Many people are pretty happy about that.
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 04:36 AM

I clearly haven't been paying anough attention (I've been traveling), but why is it a good thing Parliament was dissolved? Wasn't it democratically elected?
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 09:56 AM

Debbie -

I had been planning to write to you direct to find out what was going on, so glad you did post what you see/hear on the ground.

Surprised by the disbaning of Parliament and now the election with limited choice and those that are somewhat questionable... either the former Mubarak buddy or the Muslim Brotherhood. Makes an outsider wonder. And, once either is voted in, for how long before the protests continue and they try to get one or the other out of office. Oh, and of course, the military that still holds quite a bit of power.

Wow, Democracy, whatever form... isn't all that neat and pretty. Growing pains for Egyptians for sure!

Keep us posted.
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

What I understand about the Parliament is that the rules were set that 2/3 of it could be filled (by vote) with members of established parties (Freedom & Justice, or any other) and 1/3 was supposed to be reserved for members NOT associated with any party, but when the election for that 1/3 came up, men belonging to the Freedom & Justice party (Muslim Brotherhood) somehow got themselves on the ballot and filled most of the seats. How this happened, I don't know, but it did and it was deemed illegal as they held a vast majority of the seats. If they had been effective in any way over the last months that they were in session, maybe so so so many wouldn't be so relieved that they got disbanded.

I hope IF there are new elections in 4 years, that the Revolutionists that are the most upset by all of this will have spent the 4 years identifying a man that can do the job. ONE man that can do the job - not 9 different ones that all want to split the liberal vote. When they figure out, that they can't split 51% 9 ways and still win - they will be on their way to something great.

From the get-go it was clear (to me) that there were only two groups that were large enough in numbers and organized enough with power/money/organization to run canidates. At the start it was clear that was the ARMY and the Muslim Brotherhood. NOT a big surprise this was the run off. For Americans, maybe you can relate to an election that has Democrats, Republicans and Ralph Nader or Ross Perot running. Come on- Ross gave it a good ol try, but who is really going to win?
I know I don't have a vote in the matter, but I hope for law and order to come back to Egypt and for everyone to feel secure and safe again. It is my opinion (and I know many feel differently) that the Muslim Brotherhood would never have provided this for me and my friends in tourism. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm not convinced yet.
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 05:42 PM

Not good choices at all. According to Al Ahram, Mursi is at 54% and Shafiq is at 45%. I know it will take days to get final results but it seems like a Muslim Brotherhood president is possible. I sure hope not.
Old Jun 17th, 2012, 11:59 PM
Original Poster

turaj - The really good news (in my opinion) about Mursi winning is it shows we had a free election and it wasn't rigged by the last regime. That is a BIG DEAL here.
The other news about this is that without a MB Parliament, Mursi (I hope) will be nothing more than a figure-head with little to no power - so him being MB really doesn't mean a great deal to how life will change here.
Thirdly, it is my great hope that if he wins, it guarantees we will have another election in 4 years. That gives everyone 4 years to get their act together and find a viable canidate to run next time.

I might be wrong about it all, but that is my great hope.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 04:28 AM

Casual...well from the news here in US it seems he has won. Now will be the struggle between the military and MB. I agree it is great to see the Egyptians voting but this is not the best direction for Egypt or tourism in my opinion.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 05:34 AM

Thanks for the info. One might hope the new Pres. would balance the military, but I'm listening to the BBC who seems to think the military has too much power for that.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 09:04 AM

Now with a Muslim Brotherhood President, have to wonder how much damage and its impact on Egyptian society and for tourists? Can we expect 'Saudi or Iran-lite?' Guess it's wait and see for what's next!
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 09:13 AM

I know there are some moves being made in Turkey with a growing Islamic faction...of course right now it is very tourist friendly but they have concerns. Their goal is an Islamic state...not sure where the tourist fits in...time will tell.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 02:30 PM

Attaturk who created the Turkey we know today, open to all religions, but with a secular government, would be rolling in his grave if the government went Islamic.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 04:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
We thought we were watching a revolution, but it was just a military coup.
Old Jun 18th, 2012, 07:30 PM

Hi Debbie

Thanks for keeping us posted from Cairo

I have been following but it is nice to get first hand local information .

Take Care
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 03:24 AM

Casual_Cairo, never looked the dissolution of Parliament in this light! Looks like it's Mursi for President, but what bothers me is that the army appears to have taken over for all practical purposes. Am also concerned about possible negative effects on tourism. Anyway, look forward to further local insight from you...
Old Jun 20th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

geetika - I understand the formal announcement as to the winner will be made tomorrow (Thursday - June 21). Either way, all hell could break out tomorrow. If it isn't Morsi, we've been promised a new Revolution. I did notice today at the Khan el Khalili some of the jewelry people had all of their goods locked away and they said they were waiting to see how tomorrow goes before they put out their window displays again.
As far as it "looking" like it is a Morsi win - don't count chickens yet. Anything is possible. If it isn't Morsi that they announce wins, there will be lots of happy people, lots of angry people and more conspiracy theories than you can shake a stick at.

What I want to know is, is Mubarak dead yet? Lots of conspiracy theories running wild about that one too. Last night here was wild with the news sources announcing he was clinicly dead and then renigging on that.

Never a dull moment around here!
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 01:53 AM
Original Poster

FYI - They have postponed the announcement til Sunday (maybe). We will see when they get the answer and let us know. Meanwhile it seems Mubarak has managed to get himself out of the prison for the time being and into the fancy hospital where he no doubt will be safer when the announcement is made.
Never a dull moment!
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:43 PM

I would imagine at Maadi Hospital (I think that is where he is) his care will be far better and his chances to stay alive much better than in the military. Someday this will be a movie. Seeing those photos of him in the hospital bed in the court were too much. I am not sure an announcement is as close as Sunday the way things are going and I am very concerned about the reaction. The country needs a strong and fair leader and I don't see anyone fitting that description. Bet the "Mubarak fat cats" are all safe and sound in Europe with their families. Casual Cairo as always please update when you can..your perspective is a unique one!! Thanks.
Old Jun 22nd, 2012, 12:48 PM

Believe I heard he was transferred to the military hospital, where he was prior to the prison hospital and where overall it is safer and better care (whatever that means).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -