need your opinion: Southern Tanzania in November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2014, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I am beginning to plan a Southern Tanzania trip for November. I have only contacted one agent - Africa Travel Resource. They have been extremely prompt and responsive. The trip begins and ends in Dar es Salaam.

For four nights in Kwihala Camp in Ruaha and three nights in Selous Impala Camp in Selous, the price for two people is USD7176.

For four nights in Mwagusi Camp in Ruaha and three nights in Selous Impala Camp in Selous, the price for two people is USD7714.

The camps are suggested by ATR. Price includes all domestic flights between camps and DAR.

What do you think of these camps? Is this a reasonable price? Should I contact another agent? If so, any suggestion?

Thank you in advance for any advice!
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 03:43 AM

4 Nights at Kwihala and 3 nights at Impala is an excellent combination. Impala is part of Adventure Camps of Tanzania and until recently Kwihala was as well. Although Kwihala is now part of Asilia, I believe there's an arrangement for ACT to still handle bookings. I suggest writing directly to ACT to get a quote for your seven nights. Coastal Aviation is a sister company of ACT so the quote should cover the entire trip out of DAR.
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 05:23 AM

I've never been to Mwagusi, but Kwihala is one of my favourite camps over many safaris to many countries. The guiding in particular is outstanding. So I'd go with Kwihala.

Sounds like a reasonable price to me.

One thing- for November, Selous Impala should be doing 4-for-3. You'd have to pay the park fees (about $75) for the extra day so it's not entirely free, but if you have the time you might as well do 4 nights at each. Personally I wouldn't switch to 3 at Kwihala, 4 at Selous- I think the game viewing in Ruaha is generally better than Selous so it definitely deserves more time out of the two parks. Last year I spent 7 nights at Kwihala, 4 at Selous Impala. I have used Expert Africa who seem to have a good relationship with those camps and use them a lot, so they might be worth a try. But that price seems fine to me.
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

sdb2 and atokeygirl - Thank you for your suggestions! And it's good to know that Kwihala and Impala are a good combination. I was told that the 4th night at Kwihala is free, I'll ask about the same deal for Impala. I agree, if it's indeed free, I think I'll take advantage of it!
Old Feb 15th, 2014, 10:11 AM

The short rains may have started by then, so you need to ask about that. Sometimes, that hampers driving in some areas and also disperses the wildlife.