Need Help with accommodation in J'burg

Apr 13th, 1998, 04:46 PM
Bruce

Need Help with accommodation in J'burg

Can anyone tell me if the Drifters lodge is in a safe area? I have read a lot about how dangerous the city is. My choices are to stay there or Holiday Inn at the Airport. Arriving on a Tuesday, departing on Friday. Any info greatly appreciated.
Bruce

May 3rd, 1998, 07:55 PM
SUE

I can't tell you anything about Drifters Hotel but I do know something about Holiday Inn. It is very close to the airport and if I remember correctly, they have a hotel pick-up. We stayed at Holiday Inn and rented a car at the airport. Another suggestion is that they YMCA's and YWCA's that are quite nice and if I remember correctly, there is one in Johannasburg.

May 3rd, 1998, 07:57 PM
SUE

I can't tell you anything about Drifters Hotel but I do know something about Holiday Inn. It is very close to the airport and if I remember correctly, they have a hotel pick-up. We stayed at Holiday Inn and rented a car at the airport. Another suggestion is that they have YMCA's and YWCA's that are quite nice and if I remember correctly, there is one in Johannasburg.

Jul 17th, 1998, 11:21 AM
Ruth Stoky

I don't know about the Drifters but I have stayed manytimes at a great Bed and Breakfast place called Afton Guest House. They pick you up at the airport and drop you back off. They are about the same or less than Holdiay Inn and are 7 minutes from the airport. If you want a rental car, they recommend you have it delivered to you rather than picking it up at the airport (to avoid hijackings). Be very careful in J'burg. It gets worse every year. You can e-mail Afton at: [email protected] Give them a try, they're great.

Dec 22nd, 1998, 11:54 AM
explorers club

Dear Bruce we run a backpackers lodge and travel centre in Jo-burg,

www.explor.co.za

Jan 13th, 1999, 08:40 PM
Cathy James

Hi Bruce,
Not Sure if you are thinking of any backpacking places, but I stayed in a place called "Backpackers Ritz" in Jan '98. Very friendly, in one of the safest suburbs of J'Burg, and they have a free hotel pickup service. It is cheap, and convenient to shops and nightlife. Also, they are able to arrange day tours (including one to Soweto which I highly recommend).
I can get contact details if interested.
But basically, anything in the northern suburbs, well out of the city centre is ok.
Cathy

Search this Thread