Need Help to Plan Kenya in May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand it is the "Long Rain" season in May but we are stuck with this tiimeline. What would we expect for May? Anyone gone during this time? We need help/suggestions/ insight to plan a 2 week safari adventure. Which parks? Which eco-friendly camps? Requesting open 4X4 Land Rovers-no mini vans. Thanks .
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 07:29 AM

Even during the "long" rains, doesn't mean you will have rain. If any, they're usually brief in late afternoons or showers overnight.

Prices are at their lowest, all is green and less tourists and since the game don't take holiday... there's plenty to see.

Suggest you read LyndaS - Index of East African Trip Reports for sample itinerary routings. Then decide where you wish to visit, whether by road or flights, what type of accommodations (lodges, permanent or seasonal tented camps) based on your budget. Know though that some of the "seasonal" tented camps are closed in May, some thru early June.

As to the vehicle, if on a driving safari, by law these have to be closed for safety reasons traversing the poor road stystem; if flying, the vehicles are those that a particular lodge/camp uses... some are closed, others open, most all covered on top to protect from the brutal Equatorial sun.
Old Sep 20th, 2010, 08:18 AM
aby

Hi
i second Sandi
i've been in the "rainy season" (even before seasons got drunk and confused by global warming...)with beautiful days or something like a 2 hour shower and then it clears...
you can have safari anytime, and you may have rain every day in the "dry season"

in May i suggest:
1. you consider Serengetti. few people know this is the time to see the greatest migration concentrations(!!) in central serengeti. you can get very good rates at the lodges.
In Ngorongoro i had once in may a terrible road situation. the road to Sopa from the main road junction took an hour. Trucks got stuck on the Ngorongoro main road etc'

2. Go to the semi-arid areas Samburu, Marsabit, Tsavo, Amboseli
The road to Samburu up to Archer's Post is superb now, so no problems even during the rains

aby
Old Sep 21st, 2010, 08:04 AM

aby - so true, so true... finally a real road to Samburu. I was so darn happy happy to drive on it this past year after avoiding is like the plague for 16/yrs let's hope it stays that way.
Old Sep 22nd, 2010, 04:42 PM
Original Poster

Do you have any thoughts about Muthaiga Safari Camp, Little Governer's Masaai Camp or Mara West Camp? In May/2011. All for Maasai Mara area.