Search

Oudtshoorn/Swartberg Pass

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2003, 09:56 AM
LLC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oudtshoorn/Swartberg Pass

I'm looking for a nice, inexpensive B&B or guest house in the Oudtshoorn/Swartberg Pass area? Maybe even a farm. Any suggestions? Also need help on what to do, where to eat, etc. in this area.
Old May 24th, 2003, 02:43 PM

Hi LLC,

A great place to stay in Oudtshoorn would be Shades of Africa (www.shades.co.za).

There is one eating venue that you MUST NOT miss when travelling on the Garden Route amnd that is Jemimas in Oudtshoorn. This restaurant is run by the Le Roux sisters. Go to http://www.showcook.co.za/jemimas.htm
and see why you should prepare yourself for the delights of Jemimas In simple words Jemimas is an ABSOLUTE MUST VISIT restaurant.

Enjoy Oudtshoorn as well as the AWESOME Swartberg Pass.

Selwyn Davidowitz
[email protected]
Old May 24th, 2003, 04:30 PM
LLC
Original Poster

Shades of Africa was not available for the times we would be in the area. Any other suggestions?
Old May 25th, 2003, 12:40 PM

LLC,

Pity about Shades of Africa. WIth that said try RoseLeigh's guesthouse http://www.roseleigh.com The guesthouse is directly over the road from Shades and is a very quaint, clean, hospitable and quiet place to sleep over in Oudtshoorn.

Hope this helps.

Selwyn Davidowitz
[email protected]
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 03:52 AM
LLC
Original Poster

Any other suggestions for this area? What about going to an ostrich farm? Is the Swartberg Pass worth the drive? ow long does it take?
Old Jun 7th, 2003, 02:16 PM

LLC,

In response to your mail.

Any other suggestions for this area?

Unfortunately not from my side as I dont have any experience with any other guesthouses or other froms of accommodation. I certainly have rejected many other places however I have not found any better than Shades or Roseleigh in their price range.

What about going to an ostrich farm?
Is the Swartberg Pass worth the drive? How long does it take?

Every one of the top 3 questions are dependant on yourself.

If you want to see ostriches then it is worth going to an ostrich farm. If you ask me I would not go near one but then thats my opinion relative to my interests and needs.

Imho the Swartberg Pass is a MUST DO event but once again it depends on your interests and needs.

Unfortunately I am going to sound like a broken record as the length of time to travel over the Swartberg Pass depends on yourself in that you could well stop along the way and I dont know whether you are talking about the total time taken to get to travel from Oudtshoorn to the pass, over the pass, explore Prince Albert, travel through Meringspoort and then back to Oudtshoorn or simply how long it will take to cross the pass from the bottom of one side to the bottom of the other side. Just as a matter of interest if done on a base of pass to other side of pass stop basis the drive will take between 50 - 90 minutes (totally dependant on what you do as you cross the pass with regard to potential stopping to view the scenery along the way). In terms of the Oudtshoorn to Oudtshoorn drive I cant answer you as there are so many variables. When I tour the pass it takes me 7 hours to do the trip that I have mentioned from Oudtshoorn, over the pass and back to Oudtshoorn.

LLC having travelled the above routes on many occasion all I can tell you is that your questions are too broad to answer and even if you home them in slightly they still cant be answered. The Swartberg pass is NOT a tour type drive that can be defined in numbers. It is an experience that will be totally individual for every person and no 2 people will do the drive in a similar way or timeframe.

Sorry I cant be of more help but when the facts dont suit one cannot simply make them suit. Hope you understand.

Selwyn Davidowitz
[email protected]
Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Old Jun 7th, 2003, 05:32 PM
LLC
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. I guess I wasn't too clear. What I was trying to figure out was is it a two hour trip or should we allow most of a day. I'll allow more time as it sounds like it is worth it. Thanks.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 05:47 AM

Oue Werf in Schoemanshoek, Oudtshoorn,([email protected]) is a wonderful, quiet, clean guest house (a farmhouse dating from 1857) with great beds and good food. It's a small ostrich farm, but it's right across the road from the Cango Ostrich Farm - just walk past the ostriches in the field and up a little hill. We loved it.