Namibia

Mar 13th, 2005, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Namibia

We are considering a 4 day side trip in July to Namibia and had 2 questions.
1. Is it safe?
2. If you had to choose, would you go to the Etosha area or the Skeleton Coast area?
Thanks!
Mar 13th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Fil

Hi,

1 - itīs completly safe. Very quite, no problems at all.
you can drive alone to Etosha.

2- Itīs different Etosha is game view, and Skeleton Costa is a different area. I think itīs necessary to fly to Skeleton area.
Iīve been in Etosha and i consider to return. i really liked.

Mar 14th, 2005, 06:00 AM

Spent 5 days in Namibia last year, after a Botswana safari. Windhoek is very safe, no problem travelling alone.

Don't know about Etosha or Skeleton Coast. I stayed in NamiRand Reserve and Sossouslvei for 4 days and it was amazing.

I thought it could be boring staying in the desert for 4 days but it turned out not enough and the scenery is so beautiful. Check out Wolwedans, one of my favourites.
Mar 14th, 2005, 06:39 AM

It was definitely safe on our 10 day driving trip.

The two areas are such different experiences. As mentioned to really experience the Skeleton Coast you will want to fly in. Etosha area is fabulous for wildlife.

I think it depends on your interests and what your main trip is. For instance if you are side tripping from a Botswana safari than I would recommend doing the Skeleton Coast, or the Namib desert as it will be such a different experience and you will already be seeing most of the species that you would see in Etosha. But if you were doing Cape Town and no other safari than I would say you need to go to Etosha to see the magnificent wildlife.
Mar 14th, 2005, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank for your responses!
Mar 14th, 2005, 02:55 PM
DJE

We are in the process of planning our trip and would appreciate any comments from people who may have stayed at the following camps: the Wilderness Skeleton Coast Camp and Serra Cafema Camp in the far north, Mowani Mtn. Camp in Damaraland, Sossusvlei Mtn. Lodge and Mushara and Ongava Lodges in Etosha.
Many Thanks.
Mar 14th, 2005, 11:09 PM

For betner, I would agree with Predator Biologist that both places are great, but which place I would recommend depends on what else you're doing on this trip. If you're going to do a safari in Botswana or South Africa, I would recommend the Skeleton Coast trip because it's something very different from what you will see in other countries.

For DJE, all of the lodges you mentioned are great, definitely among the best ones in Namibia. One other one that I would recommend if you're looking to stay on the eastern side of Etosha (near Mushara) is a new camp by the same people who own Mowani, called Onguma, http://www.mowani.com/etosha.html. It borders Etosha and if the quality is like Mowani, I'm sure you'll like it. The tented camp opens mid-2005 so depending on when you're coming to Namibia, it may be an option.

Search this Thread