First time to Zambia HELP!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just returned from an incredible trip to Borneo and while we were there we met a woman espousing how much she enjoying Zambia. We have thought about going to Africa but I have decided that I am not a person who could not exclusively drive in a truck. My best times on trips are the times when we have been on foot and especially in Borneo spending hours and hours in the rainforest. I have started to research but would love some feedback. I would be traveling with my family which includes my mom. We would need to have lodging that included at least one twin and one double bed. My mom does not want to be in a separate tent. I looked at the Treehouse at Flatdogs and that looked perfect with two separate rooms. If anyone has any feedback on that camp, I would appreciate it. As far as the Lower Zambezi, it seems a little more harder with the choices. We would like to keep within a $500 per person per night budget if possible. We would like things to be comfortable but do not need to have our own butler as I have read some of the camps provide. Also recommendations on the amount of time in each place would be appreciated. We tend to like to stay longer in each place and really explore rather than move around a lot. The other thing I was confused was airfare. I checked for next summer and the price from Los Angeles to Lusaka was $3,500. I then checked as if we were going in September, 2008 and the price was $2,200. Can anyone give feedback on what we should expect to spend on airfare? Also how much are the internal flights? Sorry for the length but just trying to see if this is a trip that we can hopefully take.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 04:47 PM

We went to Zambia in 2005 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Back then there were not a lot of camps with butlers -- more in Botswans and South Africa than Zambia. We did not do Flatdogs so I do not have any information there. We stayed at Kaingo and their sister camp Mwamba in South Luangwa. Their web site is www.kaingo.com. This area is further away amd more private than Flatdogs would be. We rarely saw other vehicles.

As for the flights in Zambia -- we took 3. One from Lusaka to Mfuwe; one from Mfuwe to the Lower Zambezi and one from there back to Lusaka. We did not make our own arrangements 00 after we decided what we wanted to do, Jules from Kaingo made all the arrangements. And when we made changes in the itinerary she was helpful.

It is difficult for me to tell you cost as I know it has increased significantly since we were there. We spent a bit less than your budget but I think your budget may be ok for this time frame.

I believe several of the camps will give a break for a stay of 5 or 6 nights so that may help you as well.

The other two places we stayed were the Luangwa River Lodge and Kasaka.

For comfort, Luangwa River Lodge is on main electricity so there are fans in the room and regular running water. Several people from here have stayed there and I believe everyone had great things to say about them.

For atmosphere -- we loved Kaingo and Mwamba and would go back there in a heartbeat!

While we enjoyed Kasaka, I would opt to stay inside the park the next time. It was about a 45 minute ride each way and that gets tiring.

There are other parks and we would love to see them but in the time we had, that was all we could do.

There is also the Bush Camp company that does walking tours and has several camps that may be more reasonable.

A good travel agent would be able to help you with airfare and the internal flights -- these are not flights that you will easily find on the web. You can look here to see who people recommend.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 04:51 PM

I know I’ve run into you on this board before. I can’t forget a name like that.

Flat Dogs--The location, which is very near the Mfwue Airport, has lots of habituated animals, but it also has more traffic coming in and out of the park.

I believe their groups are larger than other camps. I know their vehicles were always packed when I saw them in July and their website indicates 9 is normal. With open vehicles, 9 people does not really obstruct your view, it just makes getting decent pictures harder. I’d ask about the #s on their walks.

Their prices are quite reasonable.
This is an interesting option: “We also offer Nature Walks in the area around Flatdogs Camp, which are an economical option for guests who want to save money on the Park Entry fee!” From their website

I only saw their vehicles out and about, I did not stay there.

If you would like to do mostly walking instead of driving, you could try North Luangwa for another stop. Flights from Mfuwe airport to the N. Luangwa airstrip are easy to arrange through an agent. I just came back from 5 nights in Kutandala in N. Luangwa and it remains my favorite camp. At that camp, you walk twice a day without drives, except to/from the airstrip or if you are doing a special visit to a certain remote area.

In a few days, I’ll finish the report on Kutandala on the thread “Penguins to Puku.” It would be in your price range and I am sure they could set up sleeping accommodations to meet your needs.

$2200 is more along the lines of what I paid this past July for air from O’Hare to Joburg. I don’t think prices increased that much. I’d try calling British Air or South Africa Airways or going to their websites for some more prices. Did you try kayak dot com?

You may be able to find Lusaka to Mfuwe flights and prices if you check Proflight’s website.or Zambian Airways. Other charters to airstrips in Lower Zambezi or N. Luangwa can be arranged through an agent or the camp you are booking.
The BA flights I am looking at to Kenya in Aug 2009 (granted not as far as Southern Africa and departing O’Hare) are about $2300 so $3500 seems high even if you are further west.

I don’t know of Lower Zambezi options for $500 per night, but others might. Canoeing is popular in LZ and a highlight of a visit to this region. But you can also walk. If you are trying to stick to a budget, you may not want the additional airfare to LZ and instead concentrate on South Luangwa (and maybe North Luangwa). It is a spectacular area. I’ve spent 6 nights at the same camp in S. Luangwa, and would have enjoyed more.

Old Aug 24th, 2008, 04:54 PM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34901898

This link discusses Zambia. It also details my first visit to Kutandala.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I contacted Luangwa River Lodge and heard back already. They are able to accommodate three people so that my mom and feel more comfortable. Any suggestions on the Lower Zambezi area would be greatly appreciated.

I have never been on the Africa board but wrote about our trip to the Pantanal and Amazon in Brazil as well as Costa Rica.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 07:11 AM

http://www.chongwe.com/index.html

http://www.sausagetreecamp.com/

http://www.chiawa.com/pages/home.htm

these are 3 wonderful camps in the lower zambezi NP which we have visited june 2007.

i have no idea whether one of the camps provided "family accommodation".

happy planning!

div
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 08:08 AM

When it comes to the Lower Zambezi, I prefer across the river in and around Mana Pools. Have a look at Chikwenya. It is nearly 1/2 the cost of the best LZNP camps in the game rich area of the park. I was there in '87 when it was still very much a bush camp. This was orginally started up by John Stevens, considered one of the top safari guides in Africa.
www.chikwenyasafaris.com
Incredible game viewing area.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 09:50 AM

I stayed at Chikwenya in 2000 when it was a Wilderness Safaris camp. I wondered what had happened to it when WS lost the lease. I'm glad to see that it's still up and running. The issue would be one of logistics. It would probably require crossing the border into Zimbabwe at Vic Falls, then flying to Chikwenya, which is expensive. Another alternative in Zambia is Kafue.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 11:34 AM

You will not be disappointed with Luangwa River Lodge. '
I believe if you stay 5 or 6 nights one night is free.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 04:31 PM

Of course, LhGreenacres, you are my Pantanal buddy, over there on Latin America.

The recommendations of Divine54 are super camps, but more than $500/pp pn.

If your budget is flexible, I recommend Old Mondoro also in LZ. In fact you can canoe between Sausage Tree and Old Mondoro on the Chifungulu Channel and the Zambezi. It was fabulous.

Kafue is a nice option, but you are in a vehicle for the most part, I believe. At least I was. To see the most of the cool antelope there (roan, sable), go late in the dry season such as Sept or Oct.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 05:08 PM

ShayTay

You can do a road transfer to Kariba from Lusaka-its about 2 1/2 hours if memory serves. Then a short flight to Chikwenya. There are a couple other ways to do it too.
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the tip, Luangwablondes! That certainly beats a LONG flight from Vic Falls to Chikwenya. It's a beautiful camp and I'm glad to see it's still up and running.
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 01:16 AM
sniktawk

I would just like to add support to Luangwa Blondes suggestion of Mana Pools, it is far far far superior to Lower Zambezi and also considerably cheaper.