Search

Mozambique on your own?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mozambique on your own?

Has anybody done a trip through this country on his own? Our travel agency told us that it is not possible, you would have to have a guide. But we prefer to enjoy the silence and the beeauty of the african ladscape on our own. Is this possible in Mozambique?
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 01:46 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for the mistakes.....
Poldi
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 03:14 AM

You should find another travel agency.
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 03:42 AM

We also wanted to go there by car and so I asked somebody who lives in Mozambique what she thinks about that idea and this is what she wrote me:

"Firstly, I have to say that I’m a bit wary to advice you to drive to Maputo from JHB.
Reasons:
1. The road is a very good tar road all the way (a national toll road) …about 550 km
But:
- Many car rental agencies do not allow their cars to go into Moz and those that do allow it, charge you quite a bit extra….you will have to, beforehand, find out a about this
- The border post is not for the fainthearted…..it can be quite a nightmare. It is busy, disorganized with a whole lot of corruption going on….and people who do not know what to do normally end up being taken for a ride. Mozambique’s official language is Portuguese, All the forms at the border is in Portuguese and the officials are also not willing to help you in English…even if they can speak it.
- The police and the traffic official are also corrupt and they have permanent roadblocks on the road between the border and Maputo…..you might end up with a few dollars less ;-)

If you do however decide to drive, I will send you a mail I normally send to all our friend that come to visit…detail on the border procedure, copies of the forms (with instructions how to complete) and general tips on how to handle the police….for example: NEVER give them you drivers licence…they will refuse to give it back unless you give them “cool drink” money

2. The most beautiful parts is not in and around Maputo. The city is just another dirt, busy African city. You cannot even take a swim in the ocean because all the sewerage of the city is pumped into the bay. I would not say it is worth the while to go through all the border troubles just to get to Maputo.

The most beautiful places in Moz are Ihambane, Vilanculos and Pemba. …and I can tell you, it REALY is beautiful.
From Maputo, Inhambane is the closest….about 450km..But that takes you about 7 hrs to drive. The road is tar but has potholes that a whole car can fit into. You also go through hundreds of small towns/villages and each has their own corrupt cop LOL

Thomas, unless you have a lot of time, and a lot of patience, I would advice you to fly to one of the 3 places I mentioned….with all of them you can fly from JHB. To me Vilanculos with the Bazaruto Archipelago is the most beautiful part. If you do not want to go and stay on the islands, there is very nice places in Vilanculos and then you can possibly just take a day trip to the islands….some people even “charter” themselves one of the local dhows."

I hope that helps.
Thomas
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 11:45 AM

i met people in SA who had driven through Mozambique, it may be a little trying (Road blocks police bribes etc) but certainly quite do-able. I've only been to Bazaruto but its paradise.