Reload this Page >

Morocco for 7 days, where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2000, 10:27 AM
allan

I am going to Morocco for 7 days in August. Trying to decide whether just to go to Fes and surrounding areas, or to squeeze in both Fes and Marakesh? Any opinions. We will train ferry from Gibralter and train to Tangiers to Fes. We would either stay in Fes and for 6 and one half days or fly to Marekesh midway and than fly out. Any opinions welcome. tx

Old May 16th, 2000, 05:33 AM
elvira

From Tangier, hire a grand taxi and go to Chefchouen for a day (stay overnight at the Parador); next day, grand taxi back to Tangier and train to Fez for a full day; train to Meknes, then a grand taxi to Volubilis. From Meknes, take the train to Marrakesh for the balance of the trip. <BR> <BR>If you like overnight trains, you can take the overnight from Tangier to Marrakesh, then backtrack to Fez/Meknes.

Old May 18th, 2000, 10:04 AM
B. Levine

Consider flying from city to city in Morocco on Royal Air Morocco; it's quite inexpensive and effecient. Don't miss Marakesh!!. By the way, I was there in August two years ago; it is very, very hot.

Old May 21st, 2000, 08:07 PM
Norm

Do not miss Marrakesh!

Old May 22nd, 2000, 04:22 PM
Laura

Hey Allan-I was in Morocco in 1996 and spent most of my time in Marrakesh. It was very interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed being one of very few foreigners there at that time (Feb.), at least as far as we could tell. We stayed right by the main market. I took the night train from Tangiers to Marrakech and it wasn't bad. Only surprise really was that because it was the month of Ramadan at that time, our four bunkmates would wake up twice in the middle of the night, turn all the lights on, and proceed to eat and talk loudly (and once even literally shoved my travel partners legs off his bunk, as he was sleeping, to make room for sitting). I'm a pretty deep sleeper, so it wasn't that bad. I was just a little stunned at the apparent total lack of concern for the other people in the car trying to sleep ! <BR>One thing, we ferried from Spain to Tangiers--the way over was absolutely beautiful. The way back however, was probably the scariest experience of my life. Got caught in a huge storm. Everything in the boat was flying everywhere--chairs, people, bathroom doors were flying off, the bar area was destroyed, people were injured, everyone was throwing up, the buses in bottom of the ferry actually tipped over. I thought we were going to tip over we were leaning so much,also thought we had a good chance of dying. I've been on the water a lot and have never seen waves that large. From what I hear, the straits of Gibraltar are known to be rough. So, I would suggest, if the weather is somewhat stormy, be careful and maybe take a ferry that has its chairs anchored down. Anyone else had an experience like this on the way to Morocco, or anywhere else? Laura

Old May 23rd, 2000, 05:31 AM
elvira

Laura, we didn't take the ferry to Tangiers, but we had a similar experience in Northern Ireland, when we took the 'ferry' (which was just a small boat) to Rathlin Island; ok over, but on the way back, a storm kicked up. We took on water; we rode up and over waves, so sometimes the only thing we could see out the back was WATER. There were four of us (two of us aren't good swimmers) and we were looking around at our fellow passengers - two elderly women, a family with three kids - and trying to figure out who we'd help out when the time came (I figured I'd grab one of the kids; another of us figured she'd take one of the elderly women). Thank heavens, we made it to port intact - soaking wet feet, shaky legs and an incredible need for a beer. <BR> <BR>On the Europe forum is a thread for 'worst trip experience ever'; I think your story qualifies for entry!

Old Dec 10th, 2000, 12:56 PM
nardini

My husband and I are thinking of going to the Imperial Cities in Morocco from Italy in January, 2001. Is a week a good time to do this? What will the weather be like in January? Are the Imperial Cities the high points of the country?

Old Feb 6th, 2001, 10:32 AM
marrakesh

to the top

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 04:59 AM
sandra

in a word Agadir..this city is often over looked and that is a mistake. It is a new city and has many beach and golf resorts..topless beaches and a club med. It has nightlife and also traditional arabic lifestyle. the hotel Amadil ( the one on the beach ) there are two is magnificent, it is also next door to the club med.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 05:28 AM
Ursula

Nardini! Just one week seems a little tight to me to do the Imperial Cities. It can be done, but it's really the minimum.<BR>I also highly recommend the High Atlas, Ouarzazate and the Draa Valley. Superbe oasis, landscapes, etc.<BR>Winter in Morocco. Well, be prepared to cold nights. Days can be nice, around 20¡C.¬<BR>Was in Agadir at the end of February some years ago, and nights were rather cold. During the day fine, but not hot. Perfect for golfing.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 05:30 AM
Ursula

Oh, I overlooked the date of this post.<BR><BR>Nardini, did you do the Imperial Cities in January 2001?

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 10:33 AM
THAVERY

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED: <BR>Ouarzazate, Morocco (Club Med village)<BR>Air/land/food package for 5 nights is about USD$560 from Paris. I just came back last September which is good temperature wise. August is too hot.

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 02:46 AM
Eamonn

Like alot of people I would put Marrakesh on the top of my list. The best thing to do in Tangier is leave. I was in Morocco in September and I found essaoira to be a very nice break from the din and clamour in Morrocan cities. You bus it there from Marrakesh.