Search

money exchange Jordan

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
money exchange Jordan

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about money exchange in Amman and Petra. Is it easier to use the ATM? We will only be there for 3 days - hotels paid for but not food, shopping and taxis.

Does anyone know if the money exchange rate from US to JOD using the ATM at airport is that much of a rip off with commissions and the like - we are staying at the Marriott in both places - I don't want to use the hotel's rates - is there an exchange place ( other than ATM) near the Marriott?

Also, on a different note, are there any good restaurants close to either of these hotels ( don't really want to eat in the hotel.

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions about money exchange in Amman and Petra. Is it easier to use the ATM? We will only be there for 3 days - hotels paid for but not food, shopping and taxis.

Does anyone know if the money exchange rate from US to JOD using the ATM at airport is that much of a rip off with commissions and the like - we are staying at the Marriott in both places - I don't want to use the hotel's rates - is there an exchange place ( other than ATM) near the Marriott?

Also, on a different note, are there any good restaurants close to either of these hotels ( don't really want to eat in the hotel.

And any advice about where to buy gold?

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 8th, 2010, 06:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ATMs are always the best way to change money. I used ATMs in Jordan with no problem (you know to call your bank and CC company to tell them you're traveling, right?) Didn't look for one in Wadi Rum (Petra) but would be stunned to hear there are none.

The Petra Marriott is out of the main village - I don't know what else is near there besides other hotels. You will need taxis (very cheap - Amman meters are in piastres - 100 piastres to the dinar) in both places.

Do a search here for restaurants - use the Advanced Search to search text rather than titles.
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 12:51 AM

i dont recommend using the ATMs because they charge too much commision , i recommend more travelling with American Dolers and there is exchange places every where ther , this way you will save a lot of money .
Old Jun 14th, 2010, 05:11 AM

marionstattner - that is exactly backwards. ATMs in almost every country have the best exchange rate, and they charge no commission. Depending on your bank they may charge foreign currency fees - if you travel frequently it's worth opening an account with a bank that doesn't, or that keeps its fees low - a credit union, for example. Same goes for credit cards.

I see you are a new poster, do you own an exchange bureau? Or perhaps you run a group of pickpockets?
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 04:01 AM

Thursday...If I withdraw an "unusual" currency, e.g. Egyptian pounds, Jordanian Dinars, I get charged 2% of the transaction plus I think 2 or 3 for the transaction. I think this is what Marion means.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 05:07 AM

MissGreen - that's a foreign currency conversion fee, not a commission. I agree that it's all overhead, but it's still different overhead. Maybe you should find a new bank - mine charge the same fee (3% for Wachovia/Wells Fargo - only used in emergency - 1% for Credit Union) regardless of the currency.
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 05:33 AM

As others, ATMs offer the best exchange rates. And, few foreign banks/ATMs charge a fee for withdrawal.

Whatever fees maybe assessed, are usually from your home bank whether a % or flat fee per withdrawal. But seriously, unless you hit the ATM regularly (daily), the % or fees is minimal in relation to the cost of your trip.

Besides, if I recall, as in Egypt, Jordan also sets the rate of exchange, so won't be different whether thru an ATM or Currency Exchange Window (and maybe even at your hotel).

It's still, best to have a bank that doesn't assess fees for ATM use in foreign countries.