Search

Mobile Camps-Kenya-August?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mobile Camps-Kenya-August?

After doing much research online and trying to get the search function on this forum to work I cannot find what I'm looking for. Are there mobile camps, or private camping options in Kenya during the migration like there is in Tanzania? I remember doing research for Tanz in the month of Feb and finding that camping "roughing it" was an option but I seem to be missing options like that for Kenya.
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 01:15 AM

I would advice that you Google backbackers.com,this is a website for campers forums,you will get good information or you contact [email protected].
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 06:07 AM

Not casually, in the sense you're implying, but seasonal camps, yes. A good one is Mara Bush Camp (July to October only) operated by Sunworld Safaris.

Richard
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 04:17 PM

There are so many more permanent camps in the Mara than the Serengeti that mobile camps are not usually used there as they are in Tanzania.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 06:45 AM

As Richard mentioned, they're referred to as "seasonal" camps. Opened only certain months of the year, and stay in a particular area for a few months at a time and so not what would be considered "mobile."

Inasmuch as the Serengeti is so much larger than the Masai Mara, where the herds move about from season-to-season, it makes sense for some of the camps to be able to relocate according to season and best game viewing.

Example: Western Corridor which is best June-mid-July; the Southeast Serengeti/Ndutu area, great Dec-Mar; or Northern Serengeti, between Aug-Oct.

During these periods, some of the camps have decided to set up in these various areas, Lemala moves from the Ndutu (SESerengeti) where they were set Dec-Mar, to the Northern Serengeti between Aug-Oct, as do camps as Olakira or Serian.

This doesn't happen in the Mara, as ShayTay mentions, because there are many permanent camps. But, there are a few camps that close during the "wet" seasons (Apr/May, or Nov-mid/Dec) such as Mara Bush, Elephant Pepper and a few others.