Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Medina and Carthage- which should I visit in AM and which in PM?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll have one day to spend in Tunis as part of our cruise next summer. My husband and I will be traveling with our daughter (who will be 21 months old at the time). Since we'll have our little one with us, we don't want to try to pack too much into the day. I've narrowed it down to visiting the Medina and Carthage, figuring that we'll go to one place in the morning and one in the early afternoon.
I was wondering if it is better to go to one location in the morning and one in the afternoon (i.e. less crowds, more shops/stalls open, etc.) and if so, which should we visit in the morning and which in the afternoon.
Also, is it easy to find taxis from both of these locations? Our ship docks in La Goulette and I figured that we would find a taxi to take us where we wanted to go. Not sure if we should hire the taxi for the day or if we'll have an easy time finding one for our return trip from whatever location we are at.
Thanks!
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 02:26 AM

http://www.weather2travel.com/climat...isia/tunis.php

Might visit Carthage in the AM B4 it gets too hot.

Medina after for great shady shopping lots of taxis

wise to agree on the fare B4 hopping in so no worries.

Happy Journey,
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 07:45 AM

I just read on a travel blog that someone in a similar situation took one of the ship's guided tours as he couldn't do it on his own since he needed a visa. I visited the area some time ago and don't recall getting a visa, but I might have just forgotten. Something for you to check, in any case. The medina in Tunis is great! I liked it better than ones in Egypt and Morocco. It is much more manageable. We brought a map of it we got from an old guide book and didn't use one of the self-styled guides who stand in front and practically insist that you use them. We did fine on our own. (I might be able to find that map and e-mail it to you if that would help.) Carthage is a lovely suburb, which is where I stayed. Where were you planning to visit there? The main attraction is the Roman ruins. I wouldn't bother with the museum. (IF you were to go to a museum in the area, I'd suggest the Bardo in Tunis, which is fantastic if you love Roman mosaic tiles. They have huge expanses of them, with amazing scenes. But I gather this wouldn't be on your agenda with a small child.) I might also suggest you consider Sidi Bou Said -- a "blue and white" town with little shops going up a street. When you get to the top there is a place you can have mint tea and look over the lovely harbour. So atmospheric. There is an efficient light rail system from Tunis along the coast to Carthage and Sidi Bou. But you will probably want to minimize walking, so hiring a car might be best. You do have to negotiate for a price. When I was there most drivers spoke little English but they did speak French. But they will write an amount on a piece of paper and you can cross it out and write what you want to pay. You might go back and forth for a while. This is such a beautiful part of the world. I'm sure whatever you end up doing you will have a great time.
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both so much!
PamR- We were planning on visiting the ruins in Carthage. No museums on this trip, as we'll be traveling with our child and know that she won't have the patience or attention span for it. Sidi Bou Said looks really lovely, but with a limited amount of time in Tunis and a small child, we're going to forgo it this time around. If you could find the map I would be so grateful if you could email it to me- please let me know!
Does anyone know what a fair price is for a taxi for the day?
And does anyone have any recommendations for great shops/stalls/places to eat in the Medina?
Old Jan 1st, 2011, 04:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PamR - I will be in Tunisia in March, and would love your medina map! Could you email it to mytimetotravel at gmail dot com? TIA.
Old Jan 31st, 2011, 10:31 AM

Hi, I just e-mailed the Tunis medina map to you. If you don't get it, could you let me know? Hope it works out!