MalaMala questions - leaving tomorrow :)

Old Oct 13th, 2008, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MalaMala questions - leaving tomorrow :)

Using the packing list and running some errands today but a few questions for those who sold me on MM and have been so helpful so far...

1 - laundry at the camps - is this a free service or a charge (and if so, can you give me an idea of $)? I understand they won't do our unmentionables so I have that covered but just curious.
2 - tipping - do you do this at the end of each day or at the end of the trip? We are transferring from Main Camp after 2 days to Rattrays (yay honeymoon upgrade!!) and so I believe we will have a different ranger / tracker pair.
3 - eating in your own room - I think we may want to do this on our last night, do we just let the ranger know?
4 - the infamous wine and soft drink issue - I assume we just pay for the sundowners / diet cokes etc. at the end of our stay? with a credit card or cash?
5 - adapters - I have seen that both the round 2 prong and the square 3 prong that's the same as the UK are used. What's the situation at MM?

again, thanks so much for all your help and I promise a first timers' trip report!
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 05:01 AM

1) Laundry is included
2) I tipped at the end of my stay at Mala Mala
3) Just let the ranger know
4) I did not drink wine..can't remember if I got charged for Coke. I do not think so.
5) I think it is the 3 prong Africa adaptor.

Have fun...I was there this time last year.
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 06:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
You pay at the end of the stay for tips (cash) and drinks (cash or credit card).

The South African adaptor is a 3 prong but it's unique to SA (not the same as the UK). They do have one generic plug in the rooms that does take a US plug and I believe it takes the UK plug also.

Have a great time!
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 08:30 AM

4. Yes you pay at the end, they'll give you a bill for drinks and soft drinks (can pay with cash or credit card) and a certificate saying you saw the Big 5.
You can include the guides tip on your credit card receipt but do tell your guide you've done that.
Old Oct 13th, 2008, 04:45 PM

Hi kak113

1. as the others have said, this is a free service - I believe they will do underwear, but for me it is no big deal to do the washing of undies and bras in the shower - I also leave a separate tip in the room when I leave as I believe the ladies that do your room do the washing, and it would be an additional job for them.

2. at the end of the stay at Main Camp and at the end of the stay at Rattray's unless you know that the ranger/tracker is going to be the same

3. mention it to your ranger and it will not be a problem for him to arrange

4. it will automatically be included in your bar bill which is added onto your account for your stay - when you arrive you give your account paying details and they take an imprint of your credit card

5. I think sundowner is quite right, with the international electricity plug that takes different types of plugs, but I always take a couple of adaptors, as between myself and a niece, we are often recharging a few things during the day

Have a fantastic time, and I wish you gameviewing I would wish for myself!

I do love Main Camp, but the rooms at Rattray's are unbelievably good! I haven't been there for a honeymoon, but even so, I love looking at the faces of each niece that has not been there before!

A fabulous honeymoon destination for those that love gameviewing!

Kind regards

Kaye