Mala Mala vs Simbambili vs Chitwa Chitwa

Aug 28th, 2004, 02:36 AM
Original Poster

Mala Mala vs Simbambili vs Chitwa Chitwa

My fiancee and I are planning a three-day safari in mid-October and are looking for insights about Mala Mala, Simbambili and Chitwa Chitwa.

We are looking for a place that has very comfortable accommodations, good food with vegetarian options, great game viewing, and will be pretty accessible from Jo-Burg. Also, we aren't interested in spending a ton of money on a place like Singita - we are expecting about $500-600 pppn.

Given all this, does anyone have any recommendations? Keep in mind that this is our honeymoon. I know that Mala Mala has up to 50 guests - how much does that impact the experience?

Finally, do all three of these private game reserves offer daily a morning and evening drive, as well as an optional bush walk?

Thanks for the help!
Aug 28th, 2004, 03:29 AM

we stayed at Londolozi safari lodge in this area recently and they have recently reduced their rates, very good option. Morning and evening game drives, small exclsuive camp and very good game
Aug 28th, 2004, 06:29 AM

Deedle,

Personally, of the three, I like Simbambili the best for a variety of reasons.

1. Nicest looking accomodations of the three, and of anything else in the Sabi Sand in its price range.

2. No children. You have never learned to truly dislike children until you have been stuck on a game drive with them, and I am talking anywhere ranging all they way up to 16 - 18 years old, but worst of all that age of about 10 - 15 years old.

Game drives should be a magical experience...not hearing children argue about who is the better entertainer, Christina Aguillera or Britney Spears.

3. Simbambili is still under the radar screen, while Mala Mala is very widely known. Simbambili only has a maximum of 12 guests, while Mala Mala has a capacity for 50.

4. Mala Mala does have the best reputation for game viewing, but from what I have seen of Simbambili on www.tagasafaris.co.za I am very impressed. The "Leopards of Simbambili" series on Taga's website has had amazing footage of not only leopards, but more recently of wild dogs, as well. I have been on safari for three straight years, and I have seen just about everything except wild dogs, so it would be a real treat to give yourself an opportunity to see wild dogs.

For whatever you decide, you should contact Taga Safaris as they have the best pricing I have seen and even have a "Low Price Guarantee" posted on their website. Best of luck.
Aug 28th, 2004, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

Roccco,
Thanks for the great response! This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for!
Aug 28th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Roccco,
What can you tell me about getting to each of these reserves? How long of a trip is it, for example, from Jo-Burg to arrival at the reserve itself? Are any of them easier to get to than others, and if so, how much easier?

Search this Thread