Search

Mala Mala or Tanda Tula

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mala Mala or Tanda Tula

I am trying to choose between Mala Mala or Tanda Tula. I know Mala Mala has great game viewings and that is my primary criteria, but I am afraid of Mala Mala because of it's size and luxury. I want to feel like I am in the bush and not part of a convention. What is the feeling at Mala Mala? We will have a small group of 6-8. How many do they put in each landrover? Do you have the same guide for the whole time you are there? Do you feel like you are having a personal experience or just part of the large group there? Are each of the tents out of the viewing line of the others? How are the meals handled? One big room-everyone eating at the same time? Our last 2 visits were to Botswana and Zambia and we stayed on camps that only had 4-5 tents each.
Any help with this would be appreciated.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 11:47 AM

Here is a link that gets into what you're asking. I have the same reservations. But they did not deter me from a first visit in June.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34914756

To help you overcome your apprehensions, take a look at KayeN's recent pictures.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 11:59 AM

Usually 4-5 guests on a landrover. So your group of 6-8 will be split. Yes, you have the same guide/ranger. How you feel depends on you. They do not have tents, but very nice "huts". You do not see the other huts from your hut. Meals are in a common area, same time for everyone. Breakfast and lunch are buffet on terrace, dinner is buffet in the boma. May be as many as 30 people eating at the same time.
Mala is much larger than a 4-5 tent camp. I doubt if you will like Mala, besides, Mala does not need any more business, it is becoming too popular because it is so good. And I don't want to have to start booking three years in advance.
regards - tom
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 01:32 PM

Hi Barbbroom

If gameviewing is your primary criteria, and it certainly is mine, then MalaMala is the place to go, though I know nothing of Tanda Tula. I have been quite a few times and I stay quite a long time, and I have never left I was part of a convention and I have always felt like I was in the bush, because you are!

If being in a camp where your group has taken over the whole camp is your priority, then Main Camp is obviously not for you. Six people would be one vehicle, eight people would be two vehicles, unless you request one vehicle, would be my guess!

Kind regards,

Kaye
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 05:11 AM

I have been to Tanda Tula twice. The first time the game viewing was just spectacular, the year after less because of exceptionally cold weather and wind, but we still saw enough.
(both times we were end of august)I cannot recommend the lodge warmly enough. Luxurous but not over the top and the atmosphere is just so intimate and nice. Every tents has a victorian bathroom and a private deck. If you are 6 you would most probably have a car for your own very often. Meals are great and evry night in a different setting.
They have enormous herds of elephants and a very interesting elephant research center, I thought it was just great.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 05:19 AM

MM hands down for game. If size is a real issue then upgrade to Sable, max of 16 guests, with 4 to a vehicle. Though if you are 8 the they likely would give you two vehilces of 4 at Main Camp, if you are a group of 6 then 1 vehicle.