Makgadikgadi- private mobile safari vs. San & Jack's camps

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the intial stages of putting together a Botswana trip for myself and some college friends. I've been in touch with Masson Safaris and some others, and the would be able to offer us a private mobile safari at an attractive rate.

I am quite intrigued with the Makgadikgadi Pan area. San Camp in particular sounds lovely. My question is, is it worth it to fly in to San or Jack's camp instead of seeing the Makgadikgadi area as part of our mobile safari? In particular, I'm worried that we would not be able to do the 4x4 riding, bushmen walk or meerkat viewing with the private mobile safari, while these are standard activities at San Camp.

Any thoughts? Thanks
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 05:22 AM

I have done tyhe mobile through that part of the world and found it to be a really tremendous experience. The trip that I took spent a few nighs at Deception Valley Lodge, where I was able to interact with bushmen. It was NOT an out in the desert experience, a little canned, but none the less a great insight to their lifestyle.

As for not being bound to any particular lodge, well that worked for me as we were able to find and witness the zebra migration.

I suspect that the mobile that you speak of will have less impact on the wallet?
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks mkhonzo. What time of year is the zebra migration?
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 06:02 AM

I think Unchartered Africa (who own Jack's and San Camp) do still offer mobile safaris (they did when I was at Jack's back in 2004). These are run by their own excellent guides so I'm sure you'd be able to do some or all of the same activities as are offered at the two camps.

I'd imagine your best bet would be to contact them directly rather than have your operator add on a commission but either way, probably worth checking out?
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kavey. Yes, the mobile safaris offered by Unchartered Africa look amazing, but they are a bit to $$$$ and also require a 28 bednight minimum.

I enjoyed seeing your photos of Jack's camp on flickr.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 06:19 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I did a mobile safari into the Pans in Oct05. We arrived late in the afternoon, drove around a bit, took pics of the very old baobob tree, spent the night under the stars and left the next morning. I visited with a couple on the plane from Maun to Johannesburg that had stayed at Jack's and I do wish I had been able to spend some time there.

I think if you can work it out then do it. I was in awe of the Pans and would have loved to have been able to do the bushman walk and see the meerkats.

I've read about the pans during the migrations (Jan to March?) and would love to see that as well. I read somewhere that it's 5,000 wildebeest and 10,000 zebras plus the predators that they attract. And also, tens of thousands of flamingos. Time and money. That's all it takes to see everything I want to see and I don't have enough of either.

A couple of the pics I took in the pans begin here http://www.pbase.com/cjw/image/51461094 Just click 'next' to see the others.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 06:27 AM

Drifters Adventures is a must see.
Mark
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

sundowner-
I've really enjoyed your photos and trip reports. I noticed your comment about Meno A Kwena Lodge. Would you say that your time at the Makgadikgadi pan was more interesting than MenoAKwena? Just curious, as I have at least one agent that is trying to push MAK over Makgadikgadi.

Thanks
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 06:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
I am sure that other people have enjoyed Meno A Kwena Lodge. The tents and lodge were very nice. But I have to say I wish we had gone elsewhere. Maybe it was because it was so hot, or maybe because of the new fence that had been erected. We just didn't see as much game there as we did everywhere else.

If you read my trip report then you know we spent hours and hours driving in the hot sun to get to Makgadikgadi Pans and then hours and hours more to get out. The pans were so worth it. I'm doing another mobile safari to many of the same places in July this year but the itinerary doesn't include the pans. The group leader doesn't want to spend the time involved getting there and back because it takes away too much photography time. The participants of this group won't know what they are missing.

So to answer your question, tell that agent they are nuts and go to Makgadikgadi.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 07:05 AM

Cruisinred, 28 bed nights for the whole trip or for the mobile safari itself? I'm assuming they MUST surely offer mobile safaris that are shorter than 28 nights so it must be the former?
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 08:31 AM

Cruisinred,

You have asked the key question. Can you do the things that the Makgadikgadi Makgadikgadi Pans are noted for? What does Masson say in response to this question?

I spent 3 nights at San and loved it. The meerkats, bushmen, quad bikes, and ancient artifacts were highlights. The beautiful scenery and couple of lucky game sightings would be present with or without a camp. But the pans were worth my visit because of those special activities.

I'd make sure you can do them either through your camping trip or by booking with San (my choice and not just for cost) or Jack's.

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 09:03 AM

Lynn, I'd have probably booked San too for our 2004 trip had I known back when I booked 18 months in advance that they would, by the time of our visit, have upgraded Jack's Camp further and upgraded San with the hand-me-downs from Jack's. Since I'd booked on the basis of how Jack's used to be and how San now is, I'd have been just as happy at San!!!

I agree that the meerkats, bushmen (and women) walk, quad biking and ancient artifacts were all absolutely magical and would recommend them to anyone. We also appreciated our sightings of brown hyena, large herds of zebra and a late staying flock of flamingoes but it's the former list, the one that matches yours, that stood out the most.

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 09:16 AM

I should qualify that I was at San Camp in August and that's why I mentioned the rare lucky sightings. August has little game. But we still saw 2 aardwolves and kudu. And of course the meerkats.