Search

Makalali Game Lodge

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2003, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Makalali Game Lodge

Has anyone ever been to this lodge or does anyone know anything about it? I hope to go there for four days in August and would appreciate any information. Other suggestions are also welcome.<BR><BR>Also, have you any idea how much it will cost at that time of year to fly from Jo'burg to Hoedspruit. I've had a quote of around &pound;150 but that seems to be quite expensive.<BR><BR>Thanks.
Old Feb 19th, 2003, 04:17 AM

I have been to Makalali Game Lodge before. I just loved it. It does not have the big 5, but this was not problem. The rangers, as all other lodges, are well trained and your game drive a wonderful experience.<BR>I loved the accommodation. I do not want to say more. See for yourself.<BR>The food was Pan-African cuisine and my stay (2 nights) is still fresh in my memory after 7 years.<BR><BR>The Johannesburg/Hoedspruit leg is very expensive to fly. There are limited flights and no discounted seats. I think it might be cheaper if you buy it as an add-on to your international ticket in stead of buying it seperately.<BR>www.lbcl.co.uk<BR>
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information.<BR><BR>Do you think 3 nights is too long? And have you any idea what the weather will be like at that time of year?<BR><BR>Are there any others at a similar price that you would recommend instead? This lodge almost seems too good to be true at 1700 Rand per person per night, given the prices I have seen for some of the other luxury lodges in the Kruger.<BR><BR>Also, what animals can we expect to see there?<BR><BR>Thanks.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 03:43 AM

Grainne,<BR><BR>Makalali is part of the Three Cities Group. For more information on Makalali, look at the website: www.threecities.co.za and look under the game lodges option. <BR><BR>I went during July. During the day it is open skies and sunshine and warm (see their website for the temp. indication). On the morning and evening game drives, it gets chilly. Take a warm jacket. The camp supply blankets on the open safari vehicles.<BR><BR>On my visit I saw lion, rhino and elephant and smaller bush life. I spent 2 nights, but wanted to sleep in on the Sunday morning and therefore missed the game drive. If you spend 3 nights you have time to relax and maybe sleep in one morning.<BR><BR>There are so many excellent game lodges in that area (but more expensive). I think the choice will be according to your budget. I have not seen all the game lodges up there, but you can have a look also at Kapama Game Lodge, Edeni River Lodge, Kings Camp, Thornybush.<BR><BR>I can only say that I enjoyed Makalali as it has such a unique accommodation set-up and wonderful food. I do hope where ever you choose to go, you will have a great experience! <BR><BR>Stienie
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Stienie,<BR><BR>Thanks for the information. I really appreciate it. I think we will spend three nights there and get the most of it. It looks great on the website and just that bit different, which is what we're looking for.<BR><BR>Thanks again.<BR><BR>By the way, do you have any recommendations for the Garden Route/Winelands at that time of year. I have looked at various options, but the accommodation seems to be quite expensive. I don't mind paying for luxury but some seem to be overpriced.<BR><BR>Do you know anything about Phantom Forest or Bartholomeus Klip. There are two that look really nice. Any other suggestions are appreciated.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>Grainne
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 10:46 AM

Grainne,<BR><BR>Both properties I have not seen, but they are included in the Portfolio - The Country Places Collection and therefore a good choice. <BR><BR>Selwyn has recommended Eight Bells on this forum. Have a look on their website as well. www.eightbells.co.za<BR><BR>If you are looking for value for money I have another option for you - the Protea Hotels. Have a look at www.proteahotels.com. On their site, you can look at the Protea Hotel Devon Valley in Stellenbosch, the King George Hotel in George or Protea Hotel Wilderness. They are not luxury hotels but a good deal for an average standard hotel. August is still green season and you should get a good deal.<BR><BR>A newly renovated Wine Estate is Zorgvliet. You can read more on their website www.voyager-za.net <BR><BR>The Western Cape gets winter rain (June - August). August is also the time to do whale watching. Try and stop at Hermanus on your way from the Winelands to your destination on the Garden Route.<BR><BR>Once you have chosen your accommodation, let me know and I will send you a list of the Winefarms in that area. <BR><BR>Stienie
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 02:10 PM

I was at Makalali for 3 weeks as a volunteer so I was nowhere near as pampered as you'll be and I still thought it was the trip of a life time. Not to mention that we were all blown away by the safari camps in which you'll be staying. Stay in the one on the river if you can, it's beyond breathtaking. I have pictures, of both the reserve and the luxury camp, but not very thorough, and I don't have a web-site for it.

As for wildlife, my first evening we took a short drive and saw eles, hyena, and the one thing we were told we might not see at all: leopards. Within the first week, we saw all the high-profile game except rhino. You should also keep in mind some lower profile animals that make a big splash at Makalali: they have a population of ground hornbill there. You won't see those many places.

Note: Makalali does not have cape buffalo, so, if you're intent on checking off the big five, you can't do it there. Makalali is also a bit too small for wild dogs. Other than that, wildlife viewing was spectacular.

You are going to have a ball, rest assured.