Search

recommendations on footwear

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4th, 2002, 03:26 PM
David

recommendations on footwear

We're going to be spending a month visting South Africa, as well as Victoria Falls in May, and was curious what people recommend as far as footwear. We're going to be doing a lot of walking (obviously) and have never travelled interationally for that long.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR><BR>David

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 03:35 AM
local

If you're going to be walking think COMFORT, sneakers, trainers etc, etc. One pair of smart casual in case you want to go to a smart restaurant but otherwise you should be fine. Comfortable leather sandals are also a good bet as it can get very warm.

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 06:28 AM
who

don't be so anal. wear whatever you normally wear at home - surely you walk some distances in your home country. I never understand why people obsess about such common sense things. I wear sandals and clogs all the time. Would you do the same probably not!!!

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 05:42 AM
what

Don't be such a twat, who. Just because you slum around in sandals 24/7 doesn't mean everyone else does.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 06:29 AM
where

what, I fear you are the twat. Who speak absolute sense. If you are to be ponding the streets, you wouldn't wear high-heels would you? Perhaps you would! What seems odd about Davids message is the link between 'lots of walking' and the length of time they will be travelling for. Is David worried that whatever footwear he has will wear out?! Chill out folks, use your grey matter, and if all else fails, you can always pick up suitable shoes in SA - they will be super-cheap with the current Rand rate.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 11:39 AM
Simon

What a funny thread. Im with where. use your brain!! ive always preferred barefoot but i gess mountain terrain needs army boots. david might be happier with a pair of slippers though.

Old Feb 21st, 2002, 04:17 PM
Jo

My advice is:<BR>1 x pair hiking sandels (if you don't have a pair already wait until you get to SA - they have a good durable cheapish pair there called Rockies). Wear these for walking in civilised areas.<BR>1 x pair slops/thongs/jandals (whatever you call them). These are great for walking to the swimming pool or should distances.<BR>1 x pair covered walking shoes or boots - use your common sense depending what level of walking you will be doing. Be aware of snakes in some areas - boots are better if doing proper hikes in the Drakensberg etc. Also ticks climbing up your legs can be a problem in grassy areas. If you're just doing normal walking then trainers are fine.<BR>1 x pair going out shoes.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 01:04 PM
who

What - I certainly do not 'slum around' as you put it. In fact I wear sandals that you probably could not afford to buy!!!!