Anybody been to Matetsi Game Lodge in Vic Falls???

Feb 4th, 2002, 05:36 PM
Roccco

Anybody been to Matetsi Game Lodge in Vic Falls???

I saw an offer that was too good to pass up. The Matetsi Game Lodge dropped their prices by 50% so I immediately booked. I am aware of the political situation and the upcoming election but I already booked air from Cape Town to VFA, so why not gamble a little more and grab the Matetsi Game Lodge at 50% off ($330 per night savings).
I was booked at the VF Safari Lodge but I think my wife will like Matetsi more. Plus, it includes two game drives per day, all meals, all drinks airport transfers and bush walks. I was paying $40 per night more at VF Safari Lodge and all it included was breakfast.
Matetsi was named one of the top lodges in the world recently by Conde Nast, I believe, but has anybody on this board been there personally??? Any feedback will be appreciated.
By the way, I am an American staying there for three nights in mid-March.

Feb 5th, 2002, 06:46 AM
Lisa

Hi Rocco,
Sorry, I do not have direct info on Matetsi but one thing which I would consider is the distance from Matetsi to Vic Falls which is, according to their website, 40 km. It basically makes it a different type of a trip, ie game viewing as opposed to Falls viewing and activities.

I would consider spending one night at Vic falls Lodge and the other 2 nights at Matetsi. This way you can get the best of both worlds.

My personal opinion is that you can see everything you want to in terms of sightseeing at the Falls by staying one night. Do a sundowner river cruise while you are there. We spent 1 night at Vic Falls and the only thing we did not get to do that we would have otherwise considered, is hiking down to the gorge.

I would then definitely move onto Matetsi for the other nights as that is a very good rate and it will give you a lot more to do. I think 3 days at Vic Falls only, would leave you looking for more activities, and 3 days only at Matetsi would not give you enough time to properly see the Falls. Unless they would drive you back to the Falls each day between games drives. However, you would miss out on lunch and it would be tiring as you are woken each day at 5 or 5:30 to do the early morning drives.

Hopefully you are flying SAA from Cape Town and not Air Zimbabwe.

Please post a report on your experiences after your trip as we are planning to go back in August.

Feb 5th, 2002, 09:47 AM
evelyntrav

Hello Lisa,

We are going to be in Victoria Falls in June. Why was the sundowner cruise so special? Any particular company? I have heard it suggested in other posts and wondered why it was so popular before we book this activity.

Feb 5th, 2002, 06:19 PM
gabe

rocco - can you tell my where you saw this offer re matetsi? as i am considering this place too
cheers

Feb 5th, 2002, 08:14 PM
Rocco

I bought it through travelocity.com but I believe it is also being offered directly on the website. I am going March 16-19 but I don't know if the offer is valid for an extended period. The U.S. State Dept. put out a travel advisory to Americans to avoid Zimbabwe until at least March 31st, but I guess I don't follow directions very well!

Feb 6th, 2002, 03:44 AM
Lisa

Hi Evelyn,
I don't want to build up the sundowner cruise too much, but it was just very pleasant and relaxing. It is interesting to see the Zambezi from a different angle. You do get to see some game. We saw a rhino which was being guarded from poachers by 2 Zambian soldiers. Can you imagine? Their entire job description is to follow a rhino around 24/7.

They take drinks aboard the craft and you get to sip it leisurely while watching the sun going down over the African landscape.

I don't remember which company we used, it was booked by our TA as part of the package.

Feb 7th, 2002, 12:33 AM
gabe

thanks Rocco, would you mind telling me at what rate you got matetsi pp nt at? Also i would love to hear any reports you may have when you get back!
thanks

Feb 7th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Rocco

I paid $330 (U.S.) per night total and it is all inclusive (all meals, all drinks, morning game drive, night game drive, and perhaps even airport transfers). The usual rate was double and this offer was good enough to get me to cancel my stay at the Victoria Falls Safari Lodge where I was paying $370 a night and it only included breakfast.
For comparisons sake, I am looking into upgrading my stay in Kruger National Park. Currently my tour is taking me to the Skukuza Rest Camp but I will probably ditch it and go for Singita which is available for the 2 nights I am in the area. Singita costs about $850 a night (but is ranked the best in the world by Conde Nast Traveler)(best hotel, lodge, cruise, island or anything; it received a perfect 100 score, the first and only time that has happened). Other quality lodges such as Sabi Sabi and Londlozi cost around $650-700 per night so why not go for the very best if its only a little difference in price??? So, while Matetsi may not be Singita, it is still a great bargain at $330 per night and the best that Zimbabwe has to offer.
Good luck.

Feb 22nd, 2002, 08:39 AM
Neil

I've stayed at Matetsi a number of times and really like it. It is fdivided into two camps, one by the river (River Lodge) and one on the plain (Safari Lodge). They are very different. I would probably stay one night at River lodge and two nights at Safari Lodge. River Lodge is good for sundowner cruises and water based activity and the Safari Lodge is more of the "Out of Africa" experince (big teak deck, canvas chairs et cetera). Personally I like it much more than the luxury Sabi Sabi / Kruger Lodges like Singita. There's more character, better personal attention and less people. If you want to spend a day at the Falls, they will drive you down at about 1100hrs and pick you up again later in the day, in time for afternoon game drives et cetera. I wouldn't worry apart the political situation per se as Vic Falls is very isolated from the rest of the country. I am certainly planning a few days there in late May so I guess I am putting my money where my mouth is.

Mar 2nd, 2002, 06:37 AM
Paula

I've stayed at VF Safari Lodge (1 year ago) and Matetsi (3 years ago). Matetsi was magical - we stayed at the River Camp. The rooms were lovely, great bathrooms, staff friendly - I loved it. We did canoeing down the Zambezi (with guide!) which was fantastic, as well as the usual game drives. The VF Safari Lodge is ok, but it's not for game viewing, more convenient for the Falls. I much preferred Matetsi. Have a great time!
Paula

Search this Thread