Search

Long Stay at Mashatu?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2007, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long Stay at Mashatu?

Ive started planning my next trip for the summer of 2008. My friend and I want to combine Mashatu with Mala Mala. Because Mashatu is a bargain and Mala Mala is expensive we'd end up doing Mashatu for at least 7-10 days and Mala Mala for 3-4. Are we nuts for considering staying in one place for so long?
We are both limited on funds so Mala Mala would be a BIG splurge for us.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Lily
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 06:49 PM

No, you are not nuts!!! From reading their website and game reports.....looks very game rich. And currently, Mashatu offers the best value for money in all of Botswana!!! (I HAVE NEVER BEEN)-hope to one day.

I would also think that the standards of guiding is top notch, as i have met some former Mashatu guides at some of my favorite Bots camps.......

Rgds,
Hari
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 08:58 PM

Hi Lily,

did you have a look at the packages Mala Mala, Mashatu and Pafuri offer when combined?

Itineraries:

Package Description
MPM 1 3 nights Mashatu Main Camp, 3 nights Pafuri, 2 nights MalaMala Main Camp
MPM 2 3 nights Mashatu Tented Camp, 3 nights Pafuri, 2 nights MalaMala Main Camp
MPM 3 3 nights Mashatu Main Camp, 3 nights Pafuri
MPM 4 3 nights Mashatu Tented Camp, 3 nights Pafuri
MPM 5 2 nights Mashatu Main Camp, 2 nights Pafuri
MPM 6 2 nights Mashatu Tented Camp, 2 nights Pafuri

Package includes: All applicable park fees, transfers between camps, two special activities at Mashatu, insurance at Wilderness Safaris properties and standard camp inclusions.

Package excludes: Transfers to Mashatu; transfers from MalaMala or Pafuri where applicable.

For my family I have booked the package 3nigths at Mashatu tents + 3 nights Pafuri.

Old Apr 1st, 2007, 01:49 AM

Hi Lily

No I do not think you are nuts at all! In fact, the opposite, I think it is smarter to stay in one place for a length of time, if possible, because you will see more over a week to 2 weeks then people who visit for 2-3 nights. I certainly stay long visits and to me it pays off big time, when I know what all other visitors who stay 2-4 nights are seeing before they move on!

Kind regards,

Kaye
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 05:47 AM

Mashatu does have walking, the mountain bikes, and some kind of artifacts or archaeological excursions, along with traditional game drives.

You are not nuts at all. I've found staying awhile in one place makes for a different (positive) ambianace.

On on selfish note, you would be a Mashatu expert and able to answer my questions about the place.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 07:42 AM

I may be one of not too many Fodorites who have been to Mashatu, and I heartily concur that it is worth going to, and that it indeed is the best bargain in Botswana. The game drives and our guide and spotter were very good. We were there for only 3 days, and although you are certainly not nuts in considering staying at one place, 7-10 days might be a too long for me. Keep in mind that I like seeing lots of different camps. It is more difficult to get to Mashatu now than it was in 2004 because of airline changes, so that will eat up some of the savings.

One thing I would urge if you go to Mashatu, is to stay at the Tented Camp rather than Main Camp. Not only would that be even cheaper, but we visited Main Camp one afternoon and thought Tented Camp offered a more enjoyable atmosphere.

Those package deals including Pafuri and Mala Mala that HildeV mentions certainly bears looking into.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies. I will forward this info to my friend who is helping with the planning(she only has computer access at work or the library).
I am aware of the Mashatu, Paruri, Mala Mala combinations. I was just hoping that the longer we stayed at Mashatu the longer we could afford to stay at Mala Mala! We want this trip to be at least 14 days of actual safari time. Our last trip, the 10 day mobile tented safari, was wonderful, but considering the cost to get there, it wasn't enough! Of course, 10 WEEKS of safari time probably wouldn't be enough either!
Thanks again for your thoughts.
Lily
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 03:15 AM

Lillipets

I am in the process of booking a trip to SA in September. I shall be staying at Mashatu tented for 4 nights, followed by Pafuri for 3 nights and then at Ngala walking safari camp for 3 nights.

The Ngala or Pafuri options might be worth considering if you dont want an extended stay at Mashatu and still want to keep costs low to offset MalaMala.
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 04:14 AM

Lily

Do you plan to drive to Mashatu and Mala Mala? There are no scheduled flights and I believe a charter flight is very expensive.

cj
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 06:21 AM

Heree's a link re how to get to Mashatu.

www dot mashatu dot com slash Travel dot htm