Reload this Page >

lodge recomm. for honeymoon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 02:42 PM
Jackie

My fiance and are going to S. Africa for our honeymoon and may and are having difficulty figuring out which lodge to stay at? Our agent suggested Singita in Kruger, than Phinda (although we like Makalali) and then Chobe Chilwero in Botswana. We want luxury but dont want to lose the feel of being in a camp. ALso need suggestions on 3 days in Mauritius...any recommendations would be appreciated!

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:03 AM
james

Don't know about Safari - but for Mauritius, try the Royal Palm or St Geran both of which are fabulous. Friends say the new Le Prince Maurice and Oberoi are cool. If you've cash to blow, take a heli transfer - the drive to the north of the Island is dreary, and the local drivers are complete lunatics.

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 02:00 PM
kavey

If I were getting married again I would love to go to Little Mombo for my honeymoon, they even have a seperate bar and dining area where honeymooners can get dinner served seperately from the other 2 couples looking out over the okavango. <BR> <BR>It's luxurious, though not to the point of being a Four Seasons hotel transplanted to the bush, and has the BEST game viewing and wonderful tents which are more like suites... <BR> <BR>It's wonderful. <BR> <BR>Kavey

Old Nov 1st, 2001, 06:44 PM
Sylvia

I can't comment on the "honeymoon" aspect but I stayed at Chobe in 1986 with a group of amateur astronomers there to view Halley's Comet. It was an attractive, comfortable resort and was sufficiently remote that it had to generate its own electricity. Consequently, as I recall, there were no lights after 11 p.m. (which was very positive from an astronomy perspective). There were a couple of warthogs living on the grounds, and a short boat ride away on the Chobe River (just across the lawn), there was a herd of hippos. Certainly there were all the amenities (at least most hours of the day &lt;g&gt, but also a feeling of being removed from civilization. A number of us rented a vehicle and drove into the local village to buy sheets of "Halley's Comet" stamps and, enroute, we passed a herd of elephant. A couple running a farm just walking distance from the lodge had recently saved a baby (water?) buffalo after a lion had killed its mother. I was delighted to have the opportunity to "feed" this orphan some milk out of a rather large bottle. Later, they sent one of their workers to walk with me back to the lodge "in case we ran into elephant" - stupidly, I had just wandered over to their farm on my own &lt;g&gt; - obviously I lived to tell the tale! In any case, Whatever you do, make sure that you see Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe - it's a must. And, if you have an interest in archaeology, then add the ruins of "Great Zimbabwe" to you list of sights to see. <BR> <BR>Happy Honeymoon!

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 05:10 AM
nikkit

In the last year we have stayed at Singita, Makalali, Phinda and others in SA. All 3 are wonderful. However, our favourite was Garonga - total heaven, small, the best food of all of them, massages, reiki, etc, you sleep in luxury tents/room that are v. dreamy or they can arrange for you to sleep out under the stars. the outside bath is utter bliss. We have written up detailed reviews with lots of photos as well of this one as well as others on our site www.i-escape.com. Let me know if you need any more help