Reload this Page >

Little Govenor's & Lewa Downs ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 1997, 05:37 AM
TC

Has anyone stayed at either Little Govenor's tented camp or Lewa Downs private game reserve in Kenya? Would appreciate hearing yours experiences. Thanks.

Old Sep 29th, 1997, 12:29 PM
s.briggs

My husband and I visited Lewa Downs in February 1995. It was the highlight of our third trip to Africa. We stayed in the guest houses adjacent to the main house. The Craig family is delightful and friendly, the food was wonderful and the game rides (especially at night) were excellent. In one day, we saw 18 black and white rhinos. The best experience of our three day stay was riding horseback in a herd of giraffe. The farm also produces beautiful handwoven wool rugs. I highly recommend a stay of several days.

Old Jan 20th, 1998, 06:29 PM
Lynn Ouellette

My husband and I stayed at Lewa Downs about 10 years ago as part of a three week safari to Kenya and Tanzania. It truly was the highlight of our adventure. The morning horse rides were soooooo special as was the hospitality of the Craigs. Go for it.

Old Jan 22nd, 1998, 07:16 AM
Cliff Jensen

I have a friend that was at Little Govenors' last month and spoke very highly of the experience. We will be there in several weeks and will be interested to see if anyone responds to your request for first hand info. I wonder how all the rain has affected the area and the migration.

Old Jan 23rd, 1998, 04:35 PM
Jackie

we stayed at Governor's camp in sept l996, while
our friends were at little Gov. camp during the same time
period. We visited them one afternoon and thought
it seemed less comfortable than where we were staying. Not all the tents had hot water! It was
however good for animal viewing and since it is a
small campsite people were very friendly.

Old Jan 24th, 1998, 09:59 PM
Elizabeth Kirkwood

My sister and two sons stayed at Governors Camp in August, 1996. I highly recommend it. We were taken to Little Governors when we arrived, in error and were settling in our tents when we were told that we were at the wrong camp. I must say that I was happier in the regular Governors Camp. We had a great view of the river, but also around us. At Little Governors, there was a great deal of bush. At the Governors, we had Baboons running around the camp (I ran into the tent). The eating areas outside had better vistas.

We then moved to the Masa Serena, which we did not like nearly as much. I would go to Governors Camp again in a heart beat.

I am off to Cape Town on Friday, but sadly no camp drives.

Beth Kirkwood

Old Jan 25th, 1998, 08:47 PM
Jackie

today 1/25 the LA TIMES reports that due to torrential rains and flooding it is not possible to go to the Masai Mara now. Does anyone else confirm
this ?

Old Mar 12th, 1998, 09:45 PM
Michele Burgess

The tour operator quoted in the LA Times was from Mombasa, and the road between Mombasa and Nairobi was washed out several times. However, you will most likely be going to the Masai Mara from Nairobi. The road is long and rough, and will undoubtedly have been damaged by the rains. On my tours we fly in to Governors Camp; it's a lot faster and easier and you get in an extra game drive by getting there before lunch. I prefer Governors over Little Governors for the setting, the food, the views -- and I think the game-viewing is better on the Governors side of the river. I've been going to Governors every year since 1987.