Search

Let's talk shekels

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2022, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's talk shekels

We're off to Israel (1st time) in a couple of weeks and I want to exchange some money here before we go. I'm Canadian so I'll be buying both US dollars and shekels. I'll have credit cards and ATM cards and we're on a tour so hotel, transportation and most meals are covered but I will do some cash/card spending?
We're going for two weeks. What do you think I should take in the way of US cash and shekels?
Do any restaurants, shops, etc., take US cash or will I have to exchange money?
And if so, where's the best place to exchange? Our tour people have said that the hotels charge a higher rate so best to use official currency exchange offices. What about banks and other options?
Many thanks for your help.
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 01:30 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Don't exchange unless you're desperate. Take emergency cash & use ATMs for routine cash needs. That goes for every country that has reliable ATMs, not just in this case. Always, except in extraordinary circumstances, everywhere.
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Mme P. But how many shekels do you think I should take to start off with? My bank here will have to get them for me.
Using ATMs is what we generally do. I think the only country where we had to exchange was Argentina.
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 03:04 PM

What I do when traveling out of the country is get several hundred dollars, whatever your comfort level, then if in the remote situation of not being able to get local currency at the airport on arrival, I have dollars to change instead. But at times I have gotten currency ahead, in which case enough to take care of immediate expenses so I can take my time getting to an ATM. I’d get no more than $200 worth.
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 03:14 PM

Also, don’t forget you’ll have credit cards, as you mentioned, assuming you have one that doesn’t charge a foreign transaction fee. Exchanging cash & getting cash from your bank before leaving are more expensive, if you care, than a no-foreign-fee credit card.

Old Oct 5th, 2022, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Good point. I can't remember if I pay a foreign exchange fee. I'll find out.
Thanks, you've been very helpful.
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 09:30 PM

Foreign transaction fee, not exchange. An additional fee on credit card use in foreign transactions.

Old Oct 6th, 2022, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Yes, thanks. that's what I meant -- just mistyped.
Old Oct 6th, 2022, 05:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We used local money exchange places and they were not difficult to find.
Didn't need very much in the way of cash since we used our credit cards (with no foreign transaction fees) for most things.
Old Oct 6th, 2022, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, schmerl. I don't want to carry a lot of cash so I think we'll take a few shekels to get us started and manage money along the way. I do have to buy US$ though and while I'm doing that at my bank I'll ask about the foreign transaction fees.
Old Oct 6th, 2022, 04:36 PM

In Israel you can use your credit card in almost every place. For pocket cash, follow the good Mme advice and use an ATM-they are all over - with a card that does not charge a foreign transaction fee. If you do not have one (and likely you do) you still have time to get one. DO not exchange at hotels or at currency exchange shops. If you feel you want shekels when you arrive use the ATM at Ben Gurion.
Old Oct 6th, 2022, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, basingstoke. Always good advice here!