Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fascinating.

CW
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 05:37 PM

"Wow" is all I can manage too.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 05:45 PM
santharamhari

Amazing!!! (the other expressions were taken by Lynn and the others who just posted!!!)

Hari

Old Dec 5th, 2006, 05:51 PM
santharamhari

john,

I havent checked yet, but, have LE updated their sightings news? i will chk later today.....

Hari

Old Dec 5th, 2006, 06:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, this is fascinating and amazing! (ok, it's late. I didn't want to come up with new ones)

Old Dec 5th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Hari,

Not yet. Thanks for reminding me to look...been a bit pre-occupied lately.

John
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 08:28 PM

How about - Awesome!!!
regards - tom
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 04:30 AM

One very smart leopard, indeed. I'm surprised that the baboons didn't know she was faking. Perhaps they knew, but collectively decided to let it survive and be happy with giving it a good what for.
Interesting, John.
Sherry
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 04:56 AM

John - that is one amazing "playing possum" story. Who would have thought a leopard would play that card to survive.....
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 05:25 AM
santharamhari

The leopard is the most cunning animal.....that's why their numbers all over the world are good.

Old Dec 6th, 2006, 06:04 AM

Clever indeed, with the threat removed there is no reason for the baboons to continue their onslaught.

Most have been an incredible sight to observe that action.
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 07:08 AM

What a fascinating scene. For those that ever visit Kwando Lebala, they have photos showing a pack of wild dogs killing a leopard which are quite amazing. Again, the leopard was surrounded but the wild dogs were relentless and continued their attack until they were sure the leopard was dead. Hari you must have seen these photos?
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 08:36 AM

I have seen those photos of the wild dogs killing the leopard -- incredible!
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 09:48 AM

Okay, what's left to say. Unbelievable.

Thanks for the link, John. This is why our guide in TZ on our last safari said the leopard is his favorite animal "because he is so shrewd."
Old Dec 6th, 2006, 04:53 PM
santharamhari

Gaurang,

No i havent....they must hv just put it in. Where in Lebala? in the lounge? Have you seen the one with the cheetah with the ostrich kill (Lagoon?)

Hari

Old Dec 6th, 2006, 04:56 PM
santharamhari

Just saw PB's post.....Hmmmm maybe i spend my time in the lounge/dining talking to Spencer etc etc., A LOT and missed these amazing pictures? some reason doesnt ring a bell....

Hari

Old Dec 11th, 2006, 09:49 PM
aby

Thanks John - it is fantastic!!!

i have a remark to make at the conclusion paragraph
it is a classical example of a looking at it from the WRONG ANGLE
<font color="gray">
&quot;it is also of interest since baboons do not feature high on the list of leopard prey.&quot;
...&quot;baboons do not make up an important portion of leopard prey &quot;...
</font>
So what??
Is it relevant to the specific observation?
a Leopard is highly opportunistic has a long prey-list. In this case it had a <u>chance</u> and decided to take it...
the statistical &quot;status&quot; of Baboons on a Leopard's menu is irrelevant.

on the other hand <b> experts consider the Leopard to be the most effective predator of Baboons </b> which explains their behaviour &amp; the risk (vs. chance of gaining ) some individuals are ready to take in confronting it &amp; the general motivation of members of the Baboon society...

BTW some researchers have described males fleeing to save their skin without protecting females and young

Since the predation rate on baboons is rather low , it is an indirect hint that their anti-predator behaviour is the rule &amp; that it works

finally i couldn't find the reference, but i remember a significant predation by leopards on baboons in the Amboseli research (which at the time left me puzzled since i've never seen a leopard
in Amboseli on numerous visits.... at the time, during the 80s it was the best place to see cheetah, rhino and even lions)
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Original Poster

aby,

It would be interesting to see Bill's (Pred's) thoughts on the points you raise.

Whether relevant or not, I found the author's comment in the report of the incident interesting because for some reason, I'd always thought baboons would be high on the leopard's list. Perhaps Richard D. Estes gives a clue in his <i>The Safari Companion</i>. While he lists boldness, stealth, patience and cunning among the leopard's attributes, he also says it seems to have an inferiority complex, is timid and easily unnerved. So I guess it might be easily put off by even just a couple of barking baboons. Or maybe it's just ultra smart, knowing that any injury could be disastrous for a solitary hunter.

That's my inexpert 2c worth

John

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -